WW85's Jet's 2008 First Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 19, 2007.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ok guys, I'm going to give a shot at my first 2008's Jet's mock......I enjoy doing them, even though it's way early.

My Mocks are usually different then most, I usually don't follow the "herd" and pick the most "popular pick" for Rd 1.

The Jet's trade Vilma to the Raven s for a 2nd Rd pick.
    The Jets trade Pennington to the Calm A/C winds of the Metrodome and the Vikings for a 3rd Rd pick.

The Jets' Split the last 6 games and finish 5-11 with the #8 pick and are out of the Chris Long & McFadden sweepstakes.

BTW, Keep iin mind we will be running the 2008 Gang Green Mock Draft in March for anyone interested (Past Participants are offered spots first)......I enjoyed last year's mock, great group of GMs.

Rd 1) Kenny Phillips S, Miami.......Not a popular choice (sorry Guys), but a great player. Think about the teams that have great Safeties...Colts, Steelers, Pats. Phillips and Rhodes would be one of the top tandem in the NFL and with Revis...I 'd love our secondary. Coleman, Elam and Smith.....not good enough. Great Run-Stuffer and coverage safety...hits like a freight train.

Rd 2a) Lawrence Jackson DE, USC.......Big DE that can work in the 3-4 or 4-3. Productive player and smart as they come. Always like USC D-lineman.

Rd 2b) J. Leman ILB, Illinois..........A player rising up the boards. I love this kid. Can play inside with Harris and start right away. Leman is big enough and strong enough to handle O-Lineman. Double -digit takles against the Buckeyes. Leman is better suited for the 3-4 than Laurenitis.

Rd 3a) Martin Rucker TE, Mizzou.......Time for some offense, IMO, we need an upgrade to compliment Baker. Good size TE that Blocks and Catches very well. I'm not sold on Sean Ryan. Rucker is a more dynamic player.

Rd 3b) Chris Williams OT, Vandy..........Very Good OT that can challenge Clement for the RT position. Intelligent player, great kid. Bender seems slated for the Guard position.

Rd 4) Bruce Hocker WR, Duquesne.....Small School, big time player. 6' 4" 205 lbs. and runs a 4.4. The best small school sleeper in the draft. Great size and speed. TO and Rice were from small schools. Remember this player.

Rd 5) Jonal Saint-Dic DE/OLB Mich St........Reminds me of Elvis Dumervil or Darryl Tapp. Wrecks havoc in the backfield. Only 6'1", will hurt his stock, but has a non-stop motor. I believe he leads the nation in tackles for loss. My Mich St Fans on this site know how good of a player Saint-Dic is.

Rd 6) Darrell Terrel CB, Mizzou..........Could go earlier....has good size and adequate speed.

Rd 7) Matt Flynn QB, LSU............In the shadow of JM. Is a good QB.........should be a solid back-up in the NFL.

#1 WW85, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

If we were picking 8th I'd rather take Gholston, both him and Phillips are great but 3-4 olb/DE is a bigger need. The Redskins have Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry which is a better combo than Rhodes/Phillips and the cowboys just threw all over them because they had no pass rush.

Lawrence Jackson is not a big DE, I don't know where you got that from, people say Chris Long might be too small for a 3-4 and Jackson is even smaller.

I'd rather take Crable there, unless we picked Gholston, then we could take a guy like Red Bryant, or even another corner like Tracy Porter or somebody better if they slip.

Leman isn't a bad pick but I don't really like taking an ILB that early, would rather take a guard, especially if Eric Young is there.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jackson is 6' 5" and close to 270...with room for more LBs. Crable makes alot of dumb plays......I'd pass. I'd rather have a OT than a guard, for the reason I stated with Bender playing guard.I do like Red Bryant, but I'm not focusing on DT as much as some Jet fans. Good comments appreciate the feedback.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Colts and Steelers have ONE great safety, not two.

The Patsies have an over the hill safety in Rodney Harrison, and James Sanders was a late round pick out of Fresno State. New England just knows how to find talent.

We don't need to take Kenny Phillips, especially in the Top 5 or 10. We should trade out and get some young talent to help build a stronger front seven, not secondary.

5. FinFan4Ever

FinFan4Ever Member

The Pats actually spent their first round pick this year on a safety (Brandon Merriweather from the U), who'll eventually replace Harrison.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yeah, but he is actually playing a lot of corner for them right now. He was also picked fairly late in the first.

I don't want to draft a safety in the top 5, especially with so many other talented players around that actually fill holes that we need filled.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of Phillips with a top 10 pick, but to be fair Taylor didn't play because he was injured.

8. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

ANd everyone knows both of them just look to kill people. I was talking to a Redskin fan about this, he said that he thinks Taylor would rather concus someone than win the game.

9. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

besides the dolphins, who do you have the jets beating?

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Miami, Cleveland & KC

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Well Rhodes is a very good safety, not great....Phillips can be that special player. Elam, Coleman and Smith are terrible.......maybe good special teams players, but not NFL quality starters.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Kenny Phillips isn't worthy of a Top 10 pick...especially for the Jets. We have way too many other needs.

Phillips is a poor man's Sean Taylor: They both go for the hit instead of the ball.

If he slips into the late 20s and we trade down, maybe we take him, but I'd be very dissapointed.

I'd take any of these guys over Phillips: Darren McFadden RB, Chris Long DE, Quinton Groves DE/OLB, James Laurinaitis LB, Gosder Cherilus OG, DeSean Jackson WR, Jonathan Stewart RB, even Reggie Smith, who is also a safety, Malcolm Kelly WR, and Vernon Gholston DE/OLB -- All of these players, in my opinion, are better and will help our team more than Kenny Phillips.

13. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Sean Taylor is tied for second in the league for the most INTs, and is 5th in defended passes.

14. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

cleveland eh? i dunno...they're in a hunt for the playoffs with anderson playing lights out all season... it'll be tough for the jets to stop their passing game

15. nvot9

nvot9 New Member

First two picks are horrid. I'm telling you this, Mangini will not go for the same position two years in a row round 1. Mark my words, he will NOT invest this year's first round pick in a DB...absolutely not.

In addition, Lawrence Jackson is very small. He's 260 and runs a 4.9 40. Not an overly attractive prospect and CERTAINLY NOT A 3-4 PLAYER BY ANY MEANS....waste of a pick...

After that though, I really like the picks you made. Especially Chris Williams and Martin Rucker..

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

You think? Rhodes wasn't great in college, but I think he's elevated his game to a new level. I honestly think he might be the 2nd best safety behind Reed.

As for Phillips, I have to agree with the majority on this one. He's a hard hitter, sure, but if you want another Sean Taylor, I wouldn't draft him that high. Despite the numbers, Taylor's suspect in coverage. I consider him to be awfully similar to Roy Williams, who is probably the most overrated safety in football. Hard hits don't mean good safeties. Coverage guys are the hardest to find. It's just like cover corners. Everyone loves to see the big hit, but how often does it impact the game that much?

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Well we did beat Pittsburgh, so beating Cleveland is within the realm of possibility. I still say we finish 5-11 and Chris Long and McFadden will be long gone in the #8 range. Trading down would be ideal, but the only team with 2 first Rd picks is Dallas and they won't trade for the # 8 spot. I don't know if Tangini will trade down to the mid teens to pick up an extra 2nd rd pick, but something to think about.

18. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

chris long is perfect for the 3-4...

with thomas jones, i don't think there's a need for mcfadden...

19. nvot9

nvot9 New Member

Lol.......no.....

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

LOL..why the hell not? he plays in the 3-4 now.