WW85's FINAL MOCK.....Two weeks before the Draft!!!!!

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by WW85, Apr 14, 2006.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I put alot of study and time watching players all year long for the NFL Draft. I can honestly say that I look forward to the draft as much as watching a Jet's game. The people that have been around TGG, know I have knowledge of players and the draft process. The players I've selected for my final mock, IMO, is what Tangini is looking for......smart, versatile, leaders, love football and are winners.

Before you rip my mock, think about my selections and why I selected them. I went against the grain, especially with my first selection, but you will see my reasoning. Quite a few of my selections have visited Hofstra or met with the staff in Indy.

1a) Vernon "Duke" Davis TE Maryland.........I know people are going to say "a TE with our 4th pick, are you crazy?". Davis is a playmaker, something we lack in our Offense. Davis can line-up on the line, or spread out as a WR. Next to Bush.....He's the most dynamic player in the entire draft. Don't be surprised if we take Davis....he's moving up the boards. There is always a surprise in the Jet's draft..this is the one.

1b) Demeco Ryans OLB Alabama..............Smart, academic all-american, team leader and a great player. Great Kid, you couldn't ask for a better person or player on your team. Isn't a pure 3-4 linebacker, but will make plays and could play any 3 LB positions. I'm not sold we are going to be a strictly 3-4 defense. Hobson replacement

2) John McCargo DT NC State..............Another academic -all american, and IMO, one of the best DTs in the draft. A Big Body would help Vilma & Ryans. Did McCargo make Williams and Lawson look good, or the other way around???..interesting. NCST's defense was tremendous...Offense sucked.

3a) Daryn Colledge OT Boise ST.............Visited with the Jets and is a very underrated OT, that can contribute right away. Has alot of experience and can play both LT & RT. Hard worker and finishes off all his plays.

3b) Mike Hass WR Oregon ST.....................Tough kid, will be a solid # 3 receiver and make the 3rd down catch. Mangini's type of player.

4a) Kevin Boothe OG Cornell...................Another smart kid..35 wonderlic. Has the potential to be a force on our O-Line, nice depth to Moore and Kendall. Some Beef up front!!

4b) Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana................From what I heard, the Jets staff loved Victor when they met him in Indy at the Combine. Improving player that can develop into a starting DE.

5) Chris Gocong DE/OLB Cal Poly...............very productive player and perfect to use when we line-up in a 3-4....can put his hand down or OLB, but better suited for OLB. Should be an excellent ST player. Vrabel clone!!!

7a) Drew Olson QB UCLA...............very productive, when he was healthy, underrated. One of the Best pass/intercept ratios in College football. Worth a shot in Rd 7.

7b) David Pittman CB NWST............small school player scares of most GMs, falls to 7th rd....great ST player.

Hope you enjoy, my final mock. Final comment for D'Brick fan's...great player, but is he going to make the impact Duke Davis would in 06???? No way! A Jones, Colledge or Pearson( if we sign him) will be fine.

Comments appreciated...Can't wait till April 29th.

#1 WW85, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

- No way we go TE at #4. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen.

- As you said, Demeco Ryans doesn't fit the 3-4 defense. Make the pick Manny Lawson instead.

- McCargo is not a 3-4 player at all. He is a great player, but he doesn'y help us.

- Can Colledge play RT? If so than that's a fine pick.

- Love the Mike Haas and Cornell Boothe selection.

- I like Adeyanju, but again he's a 4-3 DE.

- Gocong is a fine pick

- I really like Drew Olsen. You just can't ignore his production.

- IMO Pittman won't fall that far, but if he does we will take him.

I liked the Day 2 picks better than the Day 1 picks.

3. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Will Olsen even be there in the 7th?

I could see him going early in day 2 after the Jacobs/Whitehurst/Coyle group.

4. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I think you went a bit to far against the grain, i like that you had a lot of guys coming out of no where but still do not see the full value with them, I agree with JetFaninPA with really liking Hass, but not too much else, I would prefer if we took the guy in your avatar at 4, Gocong is also a great fit. If we stay 4-3 than Ryans is an awesome pick, and with Vilam and Barton will give us a great LB core

#4 Wolfe Tone, Apr 14, 2006
  5. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

I believe he's gonna go in the 6th.

6. 1028

1028 Active Member

Any draft with Vernon Davis is a successful draft :up:

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

See Sims, Ryan.

I give this draft a D and I am one of the few people who wouldn't be against taking Davis at #4. Surprising though because you usually have nice well thought out drafts, I think Wolfe Tone hit it on the head.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You need to look outside the box. Vernon Davis isn't just a TE, he's a weapon to be used in many scenarios. He's a playmaker....and we have Zilch, Nada playmkers on offense. Your attitude of no TE at #4 is just what the "Cattle" of Jet fans who know nothing about Davis' ability say off the top of their head. Doug Jolley is not going to be on the roster come Sept....bad attitude and doesn't make plays.

Again, if you read my preface.....I didn't draft players on the basis of a 4-3 or 3-4............cause there is no way our defense will be one or the other, it's going to be a mix.

Do some research, McCargo will fit nicely in as a DT in a 3-4 or 4-3.

#8 WW85, Apr 14, 2006
  9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Apppreciate your comments. I did this draft on not the players I wanted for the Jets, but what I think the type of players Mangini is looking for......smart , versatile , hard working players. People who want Lendle White, or lazy Gabe Watson, need to think like Mangini is going to think. As far as their value, none of my players are a reach, in fact, many GMs rate Mccargo as the 2nd or 3rd best Dt in the draft.

#9 WW85, Apr 14, 2006
  10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I really like the players you picked, If I was making the pick for the Jets I would take Davis at #4 but we both know that Davis likely will not be the pick. I'm just with the others that most of those guys won't fit into the system or thye won't be on the board when we pick.

11. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

WW85, some odd picks, but there are definately some thing I like (and don't like about this draft. Here are some of my questions/comments.

1. If Davis is truly the guy, the Jets want, do you think they'd trade down first? I know Davis could go as early as 6 or 7, but the idea of taking Davis over 1 or even 2 from the group of Leinart, Mario, D'Brick is hard to comprehend right now.

2. I understand completely what you're saying about Ryans and I like him as a player, but if they went the way you drafted, it seems like the Jets would not have the immediate help at OLB to play a 3-4. I know Mangini wants to play a hybrid and it takes time to get all the players you want to fully implement your system. However, the Jets have added a lot LB's to a team that probably wouldn't have the horses to play a 3-4 with any pass rush at all.

3. I thought the knock on Cooledge was that he didn't really have the size to play 3-4? However with the research you put into the draft I trust your judgement here.

I guess the biggest reason I don't really like it is because as of now, unless the Jets have the players at OLB to play the 3-4 right now. Maybe you believe in Thomas more than I do, but I really think one of the first 3 picks has to be someone such as Lawson, Carpenter, Wimbley to have a chance of running a decent 3-4 next season.

12. DGrab

DGrab New Member

Oh he's a playmaker, well forget it then, lets trade up and grab him. You can call it however you want, the guy is a TE, and unless he turns out to be the best TE in the NFL, he's a horrible pick that high in the draft. I mean seriously, please name the last TE drafted in the top half of the first round who was even good, let alone a difference maker.

I hope Tangini is one of the cattle.

13. DGrab

DGrab New Member

I'd also note that in the past 20 draft, THREE TEs have been picked higher than #13. Dudley and Brady at #9 and Winslow at #6, how'd that work out? So the Jets should take this guy higher than any TE ever?

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Devil, Appreciate your comments, always enjoy your thoughts on this draft board.

1) If the Jets want Davis, they couldn't go below #6, IMO, SF will take Davis.

2) People are putting too much stock into the Jets having to have only 3-4 defensive players. The Jets are going to run a Hybrid defensive, and we need flexible players and Ryan fits the bill to a tee, plus Gocong is a perfect 3-4 player also.

3) Colledge is an OT, that can play both Rt or Lt, he has good run blocking skills and is a nasty player, in a good way.

BTW, I don't think Lawson and defintely Wimbley won't last to #29.

My Mock was based on Bush , Mario and Leinhart going 1,2, 3. If I was GM, I would take Hawk at #4, something tells me Mangini....wants a playmaker like Davis who can be a WR and TE.

#14 WW85, Apr 14, 2006
  15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Go away newbie!!!!! If you have something to back-up your pointless dribble, you are welcome to comment. Since, your post is totally without any substance.....comeback when you have studied tapes of Davis.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd really like to pick up a center in the 4th-5th rounds. Preferably Mike Degory or Greg Eslinger since Teague isn't a longterm replacement.

I'm very skeptical about taking a tightend in its highest place ever. There's no chance he is a better prospect than KW2 was, he just really flew up the boards with that forty. He was a first round talent before that, but he wasn't a top ten pick. It's a position that you can be below average at and still have a very above average offense.

Demeco Ryans is a guy I like, however he's a bit undersized, so I'm not so sure he's a good fit at strongside linebacker in a 3-4. I'd much rather like a player like Bobby Carpenter whom is more athletically gifted and is just as versatile as Ryans.

I'm not so sure that Colledge is a fit at right tackle either, because he doesn't get very good leverage under his defenders.

It's a decent mock, I just don't care for it that much.

17. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

In 2006, yes. But in 2007 expect us to run a full 3-4 defense and we need to begin to get the personnel for it now instead of drafting 4-3 players that are going to be good for one season. We should, and we will, draft 3-4 players and then slowly work our way into it in 2007 or 2008.

18. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Good points as always WW85. I guess my main issue is with your 2nd point. I agree that some are putting too much stock into a 3-4. Maybe I'm underestimating what Thomas, Barton, Kassell could do in a 3-4 at OLB, but until they get a OLB in the Lawson/Carpenter mold I don't think they are capable of a 3-4. Right now they have the chips to play the 4-3. Maybe I'm an overboard D guy, but if you can get Mario at #4 and either Lawson/Carpenter/Wimbley at #29, the flexibility that Mangini will have on D will be unbelievable.

19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am not infavor of bashing anyones drafts, but I really dislike the Demeco Ryans pick and I doubt Drew Olsen falls to round 7.

I am not a person "rooting" for us to take a TE at 4, but Vernon is pretty much a freak...he is in the same boat with Reggie Bush as far as playmaking...

If we draft him I will be a bit concerned, but he will make plenty of plays in the NFL.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I certainly agree we need some players who can play in a 3-4 defense, but what I don't agree with...... the Jets' being a strictly 3-4 defense in 2007 and beyond. I truely believe Mangini and Sutton are going to use a Hybrid similar to NE. There were many times NE ran a 4-3 and switch to 3-4, depending on the team they were playing and the down, distance, game score..etc.

IMO, everyone is taking this 3-4 situation to an extreme, cause a bunch of beat writers swear the Jets are strictly going to run a 3-4. With this crazy thinking, (sarcasm inserted) let's cut Vilma right now since he's a "4-3" LB.

I believe GH made some good points the other day about the 3-4 and 4-3 mania on this board.

The Mock I made people can bash it from here to eternity, I could care less. What bothers me, is when people bash anyone's mock without supporting their own theory. As I stated in an earlier response, this Mock is what I believe Tangini and the Jet's organization will do....draft, smart versatile players with great character. Most people make mocks in what they feel is best for the Jet's, I was trying to anticipate Mangini's draft.

If I was GM.........I draft AJ Hawk...with Bush, Mario and Leinart gone.

#20 WW85, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006