WR Terrelle Pryor signs with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Pryor is solid Anderson insurance. They are very similar players with limited route trees. Anderson at the least will be suspended 2-4 games, probably reduced down to 1-3, and with his frail frame one never knows if he's going to stay on the field every week. I preferred bringing in Hurns, but Pryor will suffice. If somehow Hurns is still brought in, that will be a major indictment on how the team already feels about Stewart and Hansen. As is they now fall down to #5 and #6 in the pecking order. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Kearse moved if Hurns is signed.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think Estime, Natson, and Whitehead will be the three that compete. Stringfellow and Marshall I fear might not make it to camp especially now that we signed Pryor and maybe Hurns.

My bigger question is if we sign Hurns who of our 6 wr now does not make the team?
    1. Anderson: Maybe traded for a draft pick. I know problems off the field but I don't think they'd cut him. Maybe they can get a mid to late pick for him (hopefully he sticks. I like what he has shown on the field. If they released him because of off the field issues I can't disagree).
    2. Kearse: I hope not. Best route runner. Great veteran presence. I think under estimated in how good he is and how helped the offense last year.
    3. Enuwa: Maybe the Jets fear the neck injury is more of a concern than we think and want to get more people in in case he doesn't play. I hope not. He was fun to watch a few years ago and is showing more promise. I'm hoping he is more of a h-back and takes some of ASJ's production.
    4. Hansen: Looked better towards the end of the season. 4th round pick. Maybe too early to give up on him but for Pryor and Hurns the Jets might not wait.
    5. Stewart: Might be the same situation as Hansen. I think he sticks though becuase he can be used in different ways.

Be interesting to see if Hurns signs what will happen but I think Hansen might be the odd man out. You never know with injury and other things though.

BomberJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I like this move. low risk huge upside. I've been a big believer in Pryor dating back to the preseason of 2016. yes he had a terrible year last year, but I think a lot of it was the function of the fact that the redskins passing game was a total mess. He's a big dude with good hands. I like this. And contrary to popular believe, he's not 30. He's got a bunch of good years left in him.

Brook! and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

i would've preferred Hurns

vokab206 likes this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Can't teach a guy to be 6'6" and he can get deep

Brook! likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sweet.... another QB!

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like it. Pryor was really emerging as a good wideout until he had to play with that BUM kirk cousins and it ruined his career :D

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think you're probably right regarding the returners. Five would be too many. Marshall showed a lot of promise early, but hasn't don't anything well since as far as I remember. He's probably gone. I seem to remember Stringfellow having some character issues. Don't remember about his abilities. I do remember that Estime was a top returner in college and had high hopes for him last year.

I think Hansen and Stewart are safe, or at least, should be. It can take WRs a couple of years to develop. Enunwa should be safe as long as he's healthy. Kearse should be safe also. Part of me thinks Anderson should be traded/released as a warning to the other young players, but part of me hopes they can save him from himself, he can stay out of trouble off the field and be a very productive player on the field.

Since they signed Pryor, I'll be surprised if they sign Hurns. I think they'll only keep 6 WRs, 7 tops with one of those (maybe 2) returners depending if any of them can contribute anything on offense.

These 5 should be locks to make the team if healthy:
    Enunwa
    Kearse
    Pryor
    Stewart
    Hansen

That leaves room for one returner that's a WR. I believe that all the Jets returners play WR. They might be able to keep 2 if they can find one who plays CB or RB. They could possibly stash one on the PS.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

If true that we're still in the running for Hurns, that would be pretty sweet after the Pryor addition.

Anderson.
    Kearse.
    Enunwa.
    Pryor.
    Hurns.

In no specific order etc

There may not be one "super star" but if Anderson doesn't get suspended and Enunwa returns to the player he once was; that is a killer WR group. And a WR unit that a strong QB can flourish with.

10. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Would've preferred Hurns. Could still have both. Hopefully a 1 year deal.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If they actually sign Hurns too, I think it would be the end of Robby Anderson's tenure here

12. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I was replying to someone else who said he was 30. Point being, 30 is not old for a WR.

BudJet likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You are forgetting Charone Peake coming back from injury.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Nah. They won't part ways with Robby unless his off-field issues hit a rough patch with the legal system.

At first I was meh on bringing in Pryor. Then I realized if it's a prove-it deal, he could be effective. Would still like Hurns signed as well.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I'm OK with this signing, but truly my preference would be to have Hansen and Stewart getting more snaps rather than these other dudes.

JetFanInPA, MJK and stinkyB like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Yep, but he wasn't OUR second round pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not a bad one year signing. Pryor is a poor man's Braylon Edwards.

You have to think Robbie Anderson's tenure with the Jets is nearing an end.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I like the signing for sure. pryor is capable of 1k yards. he has good size and speed and hands. I'm sure we didn't pay much either. enunwa is coming off missing an entire season, anderson could be suspended for a part of the season. that really leaves us with kearse as the only reliable option, and while he did play good for us, i wouldn't bank on kearse and hansen and stuart as the starters if enunwa is still rusty or banged up and anderson is suspended. At full strength we have likely anderson and enunwa starting, kearse at 3 and pryor as our number 4. that's pretty dam good. hopefully stuart or hansen can jump out as well in year 2.

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

No argument there.. my point is they had a similar player before and had no clue how to use him. Unless they use him properly its just keeping one of the young receivers off the field no gaining experience.

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Huge target that can take the top off the defense....At least now if we pick Allen, he'll have a receiver who can make use of his skill set.