Wow... Jets Release Mangold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETSJETSJETS17, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

My favorite Jet is gone. Always been a big fan of Nick. It's really a sad day....

2. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

So I suppose my question is, will Nick now go and sign for another team for half what we was paying him? What I dont like when players come close to their retirement is that we know they are still servicable but just not worth what they was earning.

Mawae went on to have two more years in Tennessee and I can see Mangold having at least 2 more years here. I really hope we offered him a chance to stay at a rate he is likely to receive as a Free Agent. I would prefer we kept him here for cheaper and let him retire as a Jet. He is a Captain and a leader. And you dont let those kind of players go easy.

Even a 74% Mangold is way better than most Centres and he has leadership that can mold new players coming in.

Its a sad day for me. And I just dont like the way we treat our ageing players. We Keep some bums past their sell by date. But others we just let walk. I just dont get it.

JetsVilma28 and Royal Tee like this.
  3. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Mangold was one of the consistently bright lights over a decade of up and down. His play was a model of consistency, as good as he was tough. I'll always be proud of him for the good years he gave.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It isn't Richardson's fault that we don't have any other pass rushers.

While moving him back to DE and having three good / great ones is a luxury, we can rotate them so they don't end up winded in the fourth quarter when Brady is getting ready to kick our ass yet again. Also, we would have depth if one of them (Mo comes to mind) gets injured.

Since we don't have any QB on the roster making more than $3 mil per year we can easily afford the extra cap space as long as we don't overpay too many over the hill, washed up veterans.

His attitude and stupidity can be somewhat mitigated by improved coaching. I would rather showcase him for a trade during next season than give him away for nothing now. If we resign him and he does well, maybe we get draft picks for Mo at the tail end of his contract (including a first rounder).

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Awaits Mangold going to the Patriots and having a great year and winning a super bowl.

James Hasty and Royal Tee like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Huh? Your first sentence makes zero sense.

Even if we could afford Richardson, it would tie up too much money in the DL. You don't seem to understand that concept. It's like paying too much for a CB. That's NOT where you want to tie up big chunks of your cap space.

There are no guarantees that his attitude and stupidity can be somewhat mitigated by better coaching, and until we have better coaching, that's not gonna happen anyway. Richardson will be a FA after this season, so there would be no trading him. Unless Mo's attitude has turned awful and he has another bad season in 2017, he's a much better and more reliable player than Richardson. Richardson may be more talented and explosive an athlete, but because of his attitude and stupidity, you can't count on him to not wind up suspended for a year. The Jets don't need the headache of dealing with him, and having a negative influence in the locker room or on the young players they're trying to develop. You also seem to forget that the Jets had a couple of rookie DL last season that showed a lot of promise until they were injured, so Mo and Williams can still be rotated and stay fresh.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is what I expected us to do with him. I hope we did try it. Either that or they are extremely high on Johnson as a replacement or we genuinely do want to go 1-15 next year and anyone who can help us win a game has to go!

8. James Hasty

That's because you just don't get what is going on with the talent on our front seven.

Richardson is playing OLB instead of DE because he is the only guy on our team with enough speed to do so.

You seem to think that Mo and Leonard are starting at DE because they are the better players but the truth is that neither one of them has the speed to play OLB.

Sheldon Richardson is our best DE and arguably the most talented player on our team.

None of that matters to you because you desperately want us to spend about three times his salary on some flashy quarterback that you think will magically solve all of the huge problems this team has.

9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I think it's fairly universal, Mangold was great player and a fan favorite, but it was time ( largely because of price) to move on.

I'm stealing this from Cimini.......Thought it was rather interesting factoid:

"From the Super Bowl season (1968) to now,they've had only eight centers, including five mainstays: John Schmitt, Joe Fields, Jim Sweeney, Kevin Mawae and Mangold."

Walt White and FJF like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was the right move. $9 mill for a center is just too much. Mangold will always be a Jets legend though

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yep, at 9+ million it was the right move. Mangold mite play for another 2-3 years, and he may play well, but again if you let a player go a year or 2 early than a year or two late it allows your team to not only save money, but it also allows your team to get younger and allows the team to use players that they are confident in, like Wesley Johnson.

I think the Mangold cut also spells bad news for the likes of David Harris, Revis, Gilchrist, Decker or Marshall or both quite frankly.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If only they could evaluate the other 10 positions like they do Center.:(

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

when a team falls short of expectations there are consequences for veterans.... every single one of those players could get their walking papers

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Agreed. For the first time in a long time, I actually get the sense that this team is going into a full rebuild mode. Letting a cornerstone player like Mangold go signals to me that the Jets are willing to let go of any overrated and overpaid veteran player. Like you said, terrible seasons and terrible individual performances have consequences. I think Jets view the older part of their roster as unnecessary, overpaid, and a detriment to the team going forward. Cutting them would allow Jets to be incredibly competitive in the free agent market.

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As well they should. Too many vets on this team coasted and took plays off and under-performed, and need to be reminded that in the end, they have to accept responsibility for that. So too do the coaches, beginning with Bowles. He should have been fired for allowing what happened last season, which of course brings us to the owner, who allowed Bowles to remain after that. Losing is a tradition as much as winning is.

NCJetsfan and grkmanga31 like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for illuminating me on your "version" of what's going on with our front seven.

It's pointless to continue this discussion, because we're obviously at polar opposites, and you seem intent on twisting my words.

#116 NCJetsfan, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Sad times - pretty much the only player left on the Jets I had any real affection towards :(

still it will make the horror show that will be the 2017 season easier to manage.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Great Nick Mangold moment:

xxedge72x likes this.
  19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Who's going to be the #1 pick in 2018? Jets are gonna suck really bad this year

20. James Hasty