Would you want L.A. to have another football team?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Dinobot 2, Apr 25, 2006.

?

A new L.A. team?

1. Yes.

40.9%
  2. No way!

59.1%
  1. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Looks like L.A. is going at it hard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9396438

Los Angeles unveils stadium upgrade Click here to find out more!

NFL.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES (April 25, 2006) -- City officials are ready to pitch their plans to the NFL for an $800 million upgrade of the aging Los Angeles Coliseum in hopes of luring a professional football team back to town.

The 67,000-seat reconstruction would include 15,000 club seats, 500 luxury boxes and state-of-the-art amenities. It would be constructed within the shell of the existing Coliseum, which hosted the 1932 and 1984 Olympics.

The Coliseum is used by the University of Southern California football team, but it hasn't hosted a professional team since the Raiders in 1994. They returned to Oakland the next year.

In October, the City Council agreed to allow for up to $25 million in local tax revenues generated by a stadium renovation to be earmarked for redevelopment projects around the Coliseum.

However, city officials have resisted pledges to supply money for actual stadium construction, especially at a time when the budget is running hundreds of millions of dollars in the red.

City officials hope the NFL will agree to pay for the new stadium.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and other city and county officials will urge the NFL on May 2 in Dallas to place an existing or an expansion team in town.

"Los Angeles is a great sports town," Villaraigosa said at a news conference at the Coliseum where city officials outlined the renovation plans.

"We have a great fan base that supports its teams," he said.

2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Yes, but only because I'm sick of hearing about the rumors of everyone moving there.
    Frankly I could care less where the teams play as long as the Jets stay in New York

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

The L.A. Coliseum is cerainly one of the coolest stadiums around. The design idea was great, and it does a decent job of mimicing the real Coliseum. With that much money going into it I am sure they will only make it better. It doesn't sound like the design of the stadium will change, just the seating and boxes, etc. It would be cool if they made it even more like the coliseum, like if they made it a true "theme stadium" and name thier eventual team something that goes along with the theme. It would be sort of like the Buccaneers and the pirate ship. The Los Angeles Sentinels maybe....

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

You mean New Jersey.....Before L.A. gets a team, this team needs to get back in New York because as far as I am concerned f they are called the New York Jets and are not playing in New York then they might as well be the team in L.A. because claiming the name of a state you don't play in is the same regardless of where you're located.

5. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I don't care, as long as it's not an expansion team. The # should stay at 32. It is the most perfect and symetrical number.

6. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I agree but what team would move other then the Bills.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some changes sure

8. genom

genom Active Member

The Chargers would.

9. GreenMachine

Bills, Saints, Vikings, and Chargers....

10. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

At least if the Chargers move to LA they could stay in the AFC West

11. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

No. He means New York. As in the New York Jets.

12. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

And if it happenes then a team better move there. A 33rd team would mess up everything. Hopefully it's an NFC team.

Move the Rams back to L.A.

13. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

If there's a reason why this won't happen, it seems this is it. At least tell me that USC would have to chip in something. At least tell me that the stadium lease agreement would be dirt cheap for a 20-year term.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think thye ahve had enough chances to have NFL teams and they always lose them.

15. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I have no issue with L.A. getting a team. They can have Raiders back for all I care.

16. Hazardous Waters

If the Jets were in NY....

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Los Angeles is a terrible football town. The Raiders moved back to Oakland. Oakland. We're not talking about a superb market here.

-X-