Would Sam Darnold Have Gone #1 Overall in the 2019 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It is logical if the purpose is to compare the players AS draft prospects. It does not matter if you compare different draft classes, as long as you use the same methodology and compare players from the same era.

Analysts did it last year as well when they compared Darnold to Wentz, or how some said Darnold's pre-draft ratings were among the highest since Luck. Obviously, that does not mean Darnold will be as good Wentz or Luck, it is about what they did in college and potential to translate to the NFL level.

Obviously, this is just for fun. It is not an exact science. This thread is about whether Sam would go #1 this year, so you cannot look at his rookie year in the NFL in order to make such a determination. You have to look at college experience and pre-draft ratings only. It may seem dumb, but it is not illogical because fans are asking this question.

#41 Sam Hammer, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Well IMHO based JUST off of college Sam and Baker should have/would have gone 1-2 in 2018 AND 2019.

I can't understand Rosen being projected over Baker in any circumstance, with or without hindsight.

If he's not taking into account what all of these QBs did in 2018 NFL and college then I think his rating are stupid. IMHO. Certainly not scientific. I guess I just completely disagree with his rankings and with hindisght it appears he's a tad off. On quite a few of them.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Joel Klatt said Sam Darnold would have gone #1 in the 2019 NFL Draft today. He also said Rosen would slot in 2nd behind Murray and ahead of Haskins. Made sense to me.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It really is unbearable.... for people clinging to their last braincell. You'd think a multibillion dollar business could do better promoting their own brand, but they probably want it this way.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Pandering to fear and anger works. If not Clowns like Stephen A Smith would not have a job. Same goes for much of the ESPN, NFLNW crews.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini wrote a few days ago commemorating the Colts trade that the Bills were FURIOUS that the trade happened, apparently because they either wanted a shot to deal or would have included a #1 or better overall picks.

I'm not sure if that was a throwaway line or if there is more to it....does anybody remember seeing anything from the Buffalo outlets or national outlets about their feelings on the trade ? I think I was scanning the Buffalo News at the time and I don't remember their coach or GM having any reaction and no "anonymous sources in the Bills GM dept" or anything going off the deep end.

7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I want to say definitively YES.....after all, he didn't really have the junior season everyone thought he might. Assuming the team's relative talent held, he should have been better with another year under his belt.

Of course, there's always Matt Barkley...........:D