Worst move in the 2017 Draft

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TonyFtLaud, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I liked Davis Webb more than Trubisky. I also liked DeShone Kizer over him. Both had enough experience to have an idea what you were getting and both had a live arm with no float in it on the deep balls. That said, Trubisky is now a #2 overall pick and he will get more chances than Webb and Kizer so his chances to succeed are ultimately higher.

alleycat9 likes this.
  2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was hoping we grabbed Peterman in the 5th...I think that kid's got potential.

Red Menace and alleycat9 like this.
  3. Br4d

I think the Jets decided to let the current chaff settle before figuring out what to do at QB. 4 QB's last year was a problem not a help and the Jets likely wanted the simplicity of McCown-HACKENBERG-Petty for this season. Hack in caps because that's the guy they'd really like to see come out with the lion's share of the regular season snaps.

NCJetsfan and alleycat9 like this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I can understand that thought process but as a 5th rounder on a team desperate for a QB I would have brought him in and let him compete .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJF and alleycat9 like this.
  5. Br4d

I think the Jets QB process maybe doesn't support the notion of 3 young QB's all competing with a vet also getting snaps in camp.

Pete Carroll did this with the Seahawks a few years back and found Russell Wilson but he had a lot of experience as a head coach by that point both in the NFL and at USC.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What? That makes no sense. You can't make a trade and then say oh wait I change my mind because you agreed to make it and if the couldn't make that trade who says SF wouldn't have taken him anyway?

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You don't know if other teams were trying to trade up for Trubisky, not that I think they were but that is the reason to trade up the one spot sometimes.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

they would have been lucky if they were. im not high on trubisky and i think they made a poor move to move up and get him. on top of the fact that they just brought a guy in to be their hopeful qb. i know qb is important but man oh man i think they screwed hte pooch. i think all 3 teams that traded up for qbs in round 1 made mistakes. and im willing to bet that none of them end up being any good.

being a qb is just like being a left handed closer. you get special treatment because there arent alot of htem.

Br4d likes this.
  9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I was surprised they didn't draft one QB, but it kinda makes sense.

Next year is the QB draft so you want to be sure on what you have on your rostoee, i.e. do you go and invest in high pick QB. The only way to do it is to give reps to your guys.

So it's a win-win proposition. Kids on the roster get reps. If they plan out, you didn't need 2017's prospect anyway. If they don't pan out - you got a higher pick and are drafting your FQB in a rich year.

Br4d likes this.
  10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. Even asking a question was a logical fallacy.

If you ask and SF ready to talk = SF are NOT planning to take QB = didn't need to ask.

If you ask and SF doesn't want to talk = SF are taking QB = didn't need to ask.

The point is there was no scenario at which it made sense to even ask!

Br4d likes this.
  11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The only other team was CLE, and they just passed their shot at FQB at 1.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

All I will say is, only your guesswork as to what transpired.

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Of course it's guesswork, I don't have a tap on SF's draft phone :)

Care to offer your guess as to who spooked CHI into giving 3 picks for the right to draft Trub 10 minutes earlier than they would otherwise?

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Trubisky becomes a good QB, nobody will care about the trade, and Pace will be seen as a gutsy GM.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I'm sure that is what they were telling the Bears...

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know that if Trubisky had fallen to #6, if the Jets and Browns would have traded picks, and if so, how the draft would have proceeded for the Jets.

17. Br4d

If Trubisky falls to the 6 then Jamal Adams 90% likely to be the guy taken instead of him and the Jets trade down the 6.

Just my opinion of how it likely would have played out.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You think the Browns would have traded up from 12 to 6, and then not taken Trubisky, and would have taken Adams instead, or are you saying that some other team would have given the Jets more to trade up to take Adams?

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would think if Bears don't take Trubisky they take Adams and the Browns would've traded to 5 for Trubisky and we would've been left without Adams and a trade down partner. I would think we would've taken Howard at that point or maybe Mahomes.

Br4d likes this.
  20. Br4d

If Trubisky doesn't go top 5 Adams is the guy that goes in that slot. That's what I mean. Jets were taking Adams if he fell to the 6 from the get-go. Was just like the Leonard Williams situation, you don't pass up a gift like that.

alleycat9 and BrowningNagle like this.