Woody Johnson: New Direction For Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, May 2, 2017.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Jets owner Woody Johnson, commenting for the first time since the end of the season, offered his take on the upcoming season: "The way I want to be judged, hopefully from the fans' standpoint, is just watch how we improve during the year." Johnson said the current youth movement is "a direction we've never tried in the 17 years I've been involved with the Jets." Johnson said he wants to get away from trading draft picks and emphasizing free agency, which they had done in the past. "Judge it by the progress," he said. He spoke at the BTI charity event in New York. (Courtesy ESPN New York radio.)

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0651123334460742347-4

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a excuse for the time he wont be involved with the team.

We gonna suck big time

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Tpical SOJ Fan reaction to soemone who is willing to try something different....

K'OB, TonyFtLaud, RuJFan and 3 others like this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

So, 17 years of middling ownership and he never once considered doing it with youth through the draft? Does that make a Jet fan's head hurt?

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

if that makes me SOJ, then I will be SOJ on this issue.

#5 Poeman, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    JetsNation06 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Finally. He is making a change we desperately need, so I'm not going to shit on him for the past. There is plenty of blame to go around for all, from the owners to the CS to the GM and the players and the media and the fans, who collectively put all sort of pressure to become a contender over night. The worst mistake ever, we stopped building through the draft a long time ago, and the limited selections made were dismal at best.

TonyFtLaud, RuJFan, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Talk, like nothing else in Jetsworld, is cheap.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Good to hear, show some patience woody

TonyFtLaud, greaser, richieC and 3 others like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Does this really surprise you?

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can understand your skepticism/cynicism. If you're a long-time Jets fan, and I think you are, that skepticism has been well-earned. Hopefully, he is sincere.

Don't be too hard on him. Look at all the incompetence, dumb moves, awful hires, terrible draft picks. Sometimes I think it's a wonder that anyone who has been a Jets fan for longer than 10 minutes is still a fan of the team. I think his skepticism is totally understandable.

I truly hope that Wood is being sincere in his comments. If so, it's about freaking time we do this. Even if Mac eventually proves not to be the answer at GM, I think we will owe him a debt of gratitude for helping to get Woody to this point. If Woody isn't being sincere, and doesn't see this through, then he deserves all the ridicule, embarrassment and bad things that can happen to him, and I hope that every fan will abandon their season tickets and PSLs and Woody will go so broke he'll be forced to sell the team.

Great post. There's a lot that Woody deserves to be shit upon for, but this isn't one of those things. If he's sincere, then kudos to him for being willing to change and try something different.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True. Hopefully, he will stick to this and see it through, not have a sudden change of heart. If he doesn't stick to it, I say we all go together, pool our money and hire a hitman to take him out. ;)

12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It surprises me that he was stupid enough to call attention to it. The prototypical doofus

rohirrim665 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He had a good thing going with Mangini and Tanny, he just needed to tell Tanny to stop trading away picks.

If he had shown a little patience with those 2 guys, I believe the jets drafts would have proven to be productive.

While Woody preaches patience now, let's see what happens when the team goes 4-12 and 5-11 in the next two years.

Wouldn't surprise me if he went back to his old ways. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and see where this approach takes the jets.

NCJetsfan, FJF and BigSnacks54 like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

doesn't surprise me one bit. Let's see if he's a man of his word.

15. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

It's no secret that the Jets drafts dwindled into mediocrity once Mangini was fired. He may may not have been the best coach, but he had an eye eye for talent. Woody forced Farve on him and ruined at the time what was a budding young core that should have continued to be built organically through the draft. The funny part is Woody allegedly promise Mangini that he'd be safe regardless of the results the Favre experiment produced.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Woody is serious about this, then it's the best news we've had in a while concerning the direction of this team. It's time to stop fucking around and start running a long term plan. We'll see if he sticks to this.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

RuJFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I have the same reaction because I don't trust Woody at all.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

First off,,,,I will believe it when I see it. If this team is 3 and 7 or worse heading into the bye and the announcers are mocking us and the Jets are used as a punchline in late night monologues and the sports radio shows are calling for blood and the stadium is empty and the Coach and team are getting crucified in the press and reporters are asking if Bowels will be around in 2018 and worse the Giants are possibly doing well and the Patriots are winning the division again just to name a few things--------------> do you really think Woody is going to be patient ? All my chips just went into the center of the table Im all in,,,,it aint gonna happen

legler82 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  19. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

If being the worst team in the league nets us the first overall pick or one the worst gives us a franchise QB I'm all for it. Stop half assing and go full on tank.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Woody throwing in the towel this year to go all in next year. Watch!

richieC and JetLifeLo like this.