Winning vs tanking...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 3, 2017.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What? He didn't question my opinion. He made a point so dumb that it can only be construed as trolling. If you need an explanation as to why, then you probably aren't cut out for this world

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Considering they never pick a QB when they tank that's not a great example :p

It's not about whether you win or lose but HOW you win or lose. If the Jets go 7-9 or 8-8 with McCown, Forte, Mo and the other vets leading the way then it's a disaster. If they go 7-9 or 8-8 with the safeties, Lee, Leonard Williams, the receivers and Seferian-Jenkins doing well then it's not a waste even if it's obvious the Jets' QB in two years is not on the roster now.

You have to have SOME young players doing well for me to get excited about high picks and until this year that really wasn't the case with Macc.

3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The whole idea of tanking is so incredibly stupid it makes my head explode. I seriously wonder if half of this fan base even pays attention to the facts.

Here's one -- of the last 20 Super Bowls played, 8 of them have been won by QBs taken earlier than 17th.
    Not 15 out of 20 ... not 12 out of 20 ... not even 10 out of 20.

EIGHT ... Elway (2) / Peyton (2) / Eli (2) / Ben (2). That's it.
    Anyone think there are any Peyton Mannings in this draft?

Guys who weren't in the Top 16 or WAY later ... Brady, Wilson, Dilfer, Johnson, Brees, Flacco, Rodgers, Warner.

People whining about winning "too many games" this year need to stop playing video games and pay attention to the real world.

4. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Wins and losses affect my Monday return to work...lol! When i reserve hours of the day and forfeit all other responsibilities i want to see a win. I have a stress ladened job, yelling and cheering my favorite team to victory alleviates a lot of the stress. We should know by now draft picks are no guarantee so "play to win the game!" Especially if i paid to go see it!

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Prescott, Connor Cook, P. Lynch, Brissett, Cody Kessler. All better than Hackenberg.

6. boozer32

We will never know now. Funny how you left Prescott out of the QB's picked and the best of them all.

7. boozer32

Rince, cycle and repeat. The Jets way.

Cman68 and Peebag like this.
  8. boozer32

It should be up for debate because the team has no direction. These wins are meaningless because the defense is still getting gashed and the offense will be entirely different next year. Are they coming back with McCown? Which QB will they take because the first one Macc took sucks. Do you even want Macc around to make that pick. They got lucky this year and not building anything. Their schedule was weak and they should have beat the teams they beat. So after the season I want to see and hear what they are planning (I'm pretty sure they have no idea either), Then we will all here debate who should be signed as free agents. Then we will fight over which draft picks they should make. I believe this draft will be weak. Sure the QB's will be the hot topic but Darnold and Rosen might not come out. So that will throw the whole draft upside down. So let's lose thes last 8 games and come back down to earth and salvage what's left of the tank and hope the Ginats win some games.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So you're comparing this group of turds (minus Dak) to the crop of QBs that could all potentially go top 15? You're struggling to make this point.

10. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Sorry, not entirely true that it doesn't matter. The QBs taken in the first round are overwhelmingly more successful than QBs taken after the first round and it's not even close. Most of those are earlier than 17. I saw a chart and am trying to find it and will post.

11. truthbtold

The argument isn't about picking a QB in the 1st round. It's about hoping to lose games so we can pick earlier ... just plain stupid. The facts show that you can pick ur QB anywhere and win a SB with him. I just gave you the last 20 SB winners, and the majority of them weren't even picked in the first half of Round One, and nowhere near the top 5 ... you know -- "Tankville"

Some people on here seem to think that we have to get a top 5 pick to get a QB who can lead us to a championship. Complete nonsense, and not backed up by the facts.

The best player in the damn league was picked at #24.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, we don't think you have to get a top 5 pick to get a QB who can lead us to a championship, but we do know that the chances of our getting the one we want, and then of that QB succeeding are much greater than one taken in a lower round.

ColoradoContrails and Peebag like this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Is 4-5 record winning?

14. truthbtold

Are we not picking in the first round next draft?

If we are, then we should root for as many wins as possible.
    If ur argument is we should root for losses to pick in the top 5 ... or top 10 ... or top 15, the fact is the real world results say it makes no difference since most recent SB have NOT been won by Top 15 selected QBs. The point is, you can get a great QB at pick #5 ... or you can get dog shit. Same with pick #25. If you know what you're doing it doesn't matter ... at least not enough to want your team to lose when they step on the field.

And what about Free Agents? Would you not be happy with Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins if we could get them?

I'll say this -- the only reasonable reason to ever root for as many losses as possible, would be to get a new coach and/or GM who know how to build a winning culture. Not to pin your hopes to some 20 year old kid who hasn't played a down in the league.

#34 truthbtold, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would never root against my team, but that said, I can hope they get as high a pick as possible, and be disappointed if they don't. While you're right that it's POSSIBLE to get a FQB in any round with any pick, the odds are better the higher you pick. But of course those odds are impacted by how well your team can evaluate talent. Also, it depends on your need in a given year, as well as the supporting cast you have to put around him. All of these are variables that can impact whether a guy pans out or not, not just the draft slot he was picked in.

The point is, all things being equal, a team will have a better chance of success the higher they pick. But does that make it worth rooting against your team? No! All those other variables (and then some) conspire to make draft picks very risky.

What is NOT debatable is the need for a FQB, however you get him. He is the one consistent player who makes a difference between winning and losing. I prefer the Jets get their own this year through the draft, but however they get him, they had better. And I would even say that if they do sign Cousins or someone like him, they should still draft a guy who could be a FQB just in case, and cut Hack.

truthbtold likes this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wow, that's deep bro.

Do you think Mac is hiding behind a life threatening coffee addiction, and is in denial and might be cowering under his desk? Hope he's okay!

#36 Walt White, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As far as I know he hasn't had a presser in a while or been on any talk shows...very low profile imo

Doesnt mean he has to do anything but he was more visible in the past, as I can recall

18. boozer32

Key word there potentially. Potentially mean you ain't done nothing yet. The 2018 draft class is not even formed yet and we are forecasting the Jets making the right pick? I'll go out on a limb and say this draft class could be as stellar as Marino, Kelly, Elway, Either Manning and the Jets will pick the Todd Blackledge one.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well here we are... 5-11 and having to trade almost half our entire 2018 draft to get to 3-13. Was those wins against KC and the Jags really worth it? If we had lost both those games we're 3-13 and at the 3 spot without trading anything. Just a little retrospection..

#38 Cman68, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What is this tanking vs. winning concept that you speak of? The Jets tank and come out flatter than crappy pancakes even after they won the division or got into AFCE Championship games.I guess semantics need to be examined, but the Jets are deader than the morgue when it counts. The coroner has confirmed this several times.

21. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Should have played Hackenberg.

We weren't making playoffs, had we lost 2 we could have had whatever QB we are taking and all these extra picks.

Those extra wins did nothing but hurt us

22. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Already mentioned that in one of the threads about moving up, this more than anything was the waste but how many of the guys who are going mental about "throwing away 3 2nd's to move up" also didn't want the team to semi tank, I call it semi tank as if they had not bothered with the oldster and played Petty from the off, everybody could have been trying 100% and still fucking lost every game, so in essence not really tanking in the deliberate style but still 0-16 baby and the number 1 pick goes to the NYJ's.

Ah well such is life and now we wait to see who we traded up for...

Watch this space lol

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.