Winning vs tanking...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 3, 2017.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I feel there are much more to benefit from winning and playing to win than tanking for a better pick.
    Playing to win developed good chemistry where tanking does not. It also developes young players on the team . I think this coaching staff has this team playing their best & I look forward to watching games. Win or loose this team is growing each game. Even fireman ed is back leading the J_E_T_S JETS JETS JETS CHEER. LOL
    Jets lead the NFL in beating the spread 6, 2, 1. They have exceeded my expectations this year and there is still 7 games to grow & develope. Last year I was so disappointed with the circus of old players and felt it would take at least 2 years to fix. I like the attitude of our young team.....GO JETS!

fansince90 and westiedog1 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What we are doing currently is FAR more beneficial than tanking or losing games. Nothing is better for a team that is building towards the future than a winning culture. It's a lot easier to attract free agents and you will have about five different quarterbacks to choose from in the draft if you choose to go that route. It's not even up for debate.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

As long as it ends with us getting Cousins or a stud QB in the middle of the first round, I'm cool with winning. But otherwise it's all a waste of time.

Peebag, boozer32, papapump and 3 others like this.
  4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I guess the win over the titans that cost us mariota is a positive since it helped build a winning culture

Peebag and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

We're talking about the state of the jets this year and going forward. What's your view of the present not the past.

P.s. how is tanking working out for the browns?

#5 BudJet, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  6. BroadwayAaron

This is a dumb post but considering you signed up here just to troll, you aren't really worried about how dumb you look.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nothing works out for the Browns so your question isn't entirely fair.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It was NEVER a matter of the Jets tanking. No GM, HC, or CS is going to order their players to lose on purpose, or make moves that would leave no doubt that the team was tanking. I can't believe you and Jets fans are still talking about it. The Browns aren't tanking, either. That's just dumb.

IMO, the best thing that could have happened to this team this year was for Petty to start, the team play hard, be in every game, but wind up losing most of them due to rookie mistakes, Bowles being too conservative, and not being as talented as other teams. Then, unless Petty was playing really great, Hack could play the last 6 games or so.

In that scenario, the young players would still be playing hard, learning and developing, but the team would have a real idea of what they have in Petty and Hack, and know for certain what they need to do next year in FA and the draft regarding the QB position. McCown playing gets us nothing, and he damn well better not be back and starting next year.

It's nice that Bowles is showing that he's not a total fuck up, but his team has still blown leads, commits too many dumb penalties, he still is too committed to playing vets over young players, and probably couldn't develop a young QB if someone put a gun to his head. Worse, he will probably be back as HC, and the Jets will keep trotting out over-the-hill JAGS rather than developing a young QB. That means we will probably be just good enough to be a playoff contender, but never quite good enough to make it past the first round of the playoffs, and will be stuck with Bowles and this situation for the next 5-10 years.

hwismer, Brook!, K'OB and 3 others like this.
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

2013 and 2015

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We had a choice of 5 QB's 2 years ago. We choose the wrong one. Expecting them to get it right will be alot to ask. More like bringing McCown back again or getting giggly when Hack completes a pass of 5 yards.

Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It struck me like a brick how hopeless it is to be a fan

You start off the year hoping for full tank mode based on all the projections for the team in 2018..then the motivation and wins start coming..meh..now a win away from 500?? Smh We don't have a long term plan at QB and at seasons end Bowles looks great but the organization is going nowhere!!!!!!!

This is ALL because we have a very conservative HC who prefers playing Vet after Vet at QB: "I've seen what our young QBs can do" etc

Fans are powerless , This HC is dictating a lot of decisions and Mac goes along with it..e.g. Trying to make a play for Watson last draft but instead double down on D with the two safeties...great Nothing for OL either

Mac has to stop hiding out and answer some serious questions

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The biggest difference is we have John Morton now instead of Jurassic Chan making most decisions on the offense. Morton's input should keep Macc from drafting another Hackenberg early. If it doesn't, then we'll keep on doing what we've always done. Sign adequate Vet QB's to manage Morton's offense and wind up in the middle of the pack.

boozer32 and Mogriffjr like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

What 5 QBs did we have to choose from 2 years ago?

14. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

We should have known to take Dak even though he was passed on by every team 3+ times...

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Ah yes of course. Still would love to hear the other 4 we passed on and now should be beating ourselves up over. Cody Kessler? Jacoby Brissett? Paxton Lynch who is basically Hackenberg but with a higher draft pick wasted?

17. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Absolutely if we didn't win that game the culture would not have been built to beat the jags in overtime

18. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Awwwww someone is scared their opinion is being questioned

19. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

There is not one person who did not want to secretly or openly be at the very top of this draft. Now that the jets screwed it up you want to rationalize it so you don't have to be sad. That is the jets mentality, accept mediocrity because it saves you the sorrow. Admit it. They screwed up again! The rest of the league is laughing. Now the Giants will get the qb we want and we will have to sit back and watch how it took them one season to get a new franchise qb while we are on year 50

boozer32 and 6-10 once again like this.
  20. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

This is perfectly said, giant fans who complain about anything make me sick. Jet fans have it worse then any fan base since we have the giants superiority shoved in our face, something the browns don't have to worry about

boozer32 likes this.