Williams Defensive Philosophy & Jamal's R&R

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by One eye, Jan 13, 2019.

1. One eye

One eye Member

Oh I'm pumped if this becomes official. I was reading this article written in CLE when Williams was hired and saw this.

Can you imagine what he's going to do with Jamal. And his defense is built on Buddy Ryan's 4-6. As Bart said, "Can't Wait!'

Speaking of Mal...

Specifically, his PR tweet welcoming coach Gase and the non-response before. I do not believe he was completely off the grid when the biggest move in his organization was being finalized. Then it hit me.

Jarvis Landry hates Gase.

Jarvis Landry went to LSU.

Jarvis Landry is definitely close with Jamal.

I definitely think that played a part in his lackluster reception of the new coach. Time will tell to see if he forms his own opinion. Obviously, if Williams is the guy, that should be music to his ears. But def something to keep watch on if/when things get rocky.

Rocky Road.

One thing I expect with Gase is a slightly rocky reception. History says he will rub some players and media the wrong way. Some may be nobodies and others may be 'name' guys. The thing to remember is, this happens with all the great coaches. Not saying Gase is great, just saying that's what all the great ones do so it's good to see he has the vision to keep improving.

Offensive Philosophy

This constant and never ending improvement is a sign of a great leader. His offense is very stale/boring, but with a purpose. He uses his 'base' formations to set up big plays throughout the game. The idea is to keep at it till you get the matchup you are looking for, and then strike.

So while there is bound to be a lot of check downs, there will at least be a purpose to them. I predict we will see some big things from Enunwa (size/speed), Herndon (skill), and Andersen/Cannon (speed) as they present certain match up issues.

Great read here

Free Agency / Draft

I don't think we need any of these 'big name' WRs, including Brown. I'd rather grab a Harmon in the draft, and work with our guys. I think the number one target is obviously offensive line, defensive personnel for the new system, but I also think RB is a MAJOR need.

I have faith in McGuire, and even Cannon as a 3, but we need a young beast, which I hope we grab in the 4th/5th round range of the draft if we don't sign a Big name Free Agent.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Didn’t Bowles use Adams the same way, hence why he is in the Pro Bowl?

Jets69 and FJF like this.
  3. One eye

One eye Member

100%. It's just with Williams, the rest of the defense seems to play well too. Also, the safety/LBs have the ability to call adjustments to the scheme based on personnel.

4. One eye

One eye Member

One more note: Part of a good transition to any new coaching staff is 'building off what was working', not changing everything. The fact Jamal should be utilized in a similar fashion that took him to the pro bowl is a good thing in my 'eye'.

5. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Yes, Adams should be really good under Williams. Yes, I'm concerned about Gase and Williams on the same staff, since they are both not exactly models for emotional stability. Yes, Adams was probably not pleased with Gase. No, it does not matter.

Hopefully, Gase showed some leadership, reached out to Adams and helped reassure Adams.

6. One eye

One eye Member

This right here - Would be a great sign.

Mr mittens likes this.
  7. One eye

One eye Member

LOL. Imagine bringing back Westhoff for ST and Bart as a LB coach. :D

8. LurkerInGreen13

I'd personally be thrilled(and shocked) by this move but I'd miss Bart on the post game.

I think Williams(if we sign him) is just what this team and Gase need. I'm not sold on Gase or his style of offense in any way but I'd feel a lot better about it with Williams taking care of things on the defensive side of the ball.

As for Adam's likely not being a fan of Gase. He'll come around and if he doesn't.. well if we have Williams as DC it'll be a non factor.

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Nest to Williams, Gase will look like St. Francis of Assisi

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about Gase and Adams getting along. Every report out there has said all Gase wants from his guys in the locker room is effort and for them to show up and enjoy being there and Jamal is the definition of that kind of guy. Landry is a primadonna who thinks he's way better than he actually is.

11. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

You know who else had pissed people off in the locker room belicheck Bill Parcells

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Pumped?Im alot of things and pumped isnt one of them.