Will the Jets make the playoffs in 2014?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Will the Jets make the playoffs in 2014?

1. Yes

79.0%
  2. No

21.0%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Try fact checking before posting. Go thru my post history, you'll find that 8-8 was never any goal of mine. If anything, I've always blasted mediocre as unacceptable. Now unless you have an advanced degree in psychology, please don't try to tell me what I'm thinking. You have no idea so save that shit for another poster. I'm in "show me" mode Period. The only reason why 8-8 this year is acceptable to me is that I know they're still in retooling mode. If they can change out a significant amount of personnel and not lose ground record wise, that's a victory. I'm giving the Jets a mulligan for 2014 in case things go south. 2015? Whole different story.

When the Jets make a real run, I'll be there BUT, I'll believe it when I see it and not until. You want to believe in potential? that's your right. I deal with the here and now and right now, I don't see a team ready to make any kind of meaningful run. Way too many new pieces.

Anybody can get lucky though and the Jets might have a puncher's chance of making the PO's. Do I expect them to? No. Will I be happy if they do? Sure.

One last thing, a wiser man than me once said: "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.."

#101 Cman68, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^And those who expect history to repeat, just because it's happened before, are doomed to be wrong.

I see where you are coming from, but measuring this team up to development of Jets teams in the past is completely irrelevant. These are different players with different coaches and a different GM. Just because the Jets haven't had success or caught lightning in the past, doesn't discount it from happening. And Rex's future is up to Idzik, not Woody. If you look at it statistically, the Jets are due.

3. Cman68

and when that day comes and the Jets FINALLY catch lightning in a bottle, it will represent a turning point in Jets history even more significant than the SB win back in '69. Until then, I'll watch the results on the field and make my evaluations based on that. The Jets are what their record will say they are in 2014 whatever that will be.

Out of curiosity, who said:

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah I am not buying into this team this year TBH. I hope they go far but I think things were masked last year. Their point differential is a very telling stat:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/19/5323888/ny-jets-the-nfls-luckiest-team

I even recall when they were 5-4 last year, they had the highest point differential in the entire history of the NFL for a team that was 5-4. We were being absolutely outscored but managed to win 5 of our first 9 games. No team had ever won 5 games through 9 weeks despite being outscored as much as we were. I dont want to sit here and take away from the 8-8 season they had but things could have been a lot worse. I would love for the Jets to prove me wrong, but with the additions we made, I think we are headed toward a more competitive 8-8 season again.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

God I hate Ganggreennation. It's basically a forum disguised as a blog and they get away with promoting their OPs as articles.

And they also get away with blatantly ripping off content from other forums.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The Jets did have a few very close games, but overall it wasn't luck. It was an inconsistent rookie QB, along with the really green secondary. It put us into a win one, get blown out the next pattern. We had good games and bad games. We beat good teams and bad teams. We also lost to good teams and bad teams. With all the youth, that's kind of what you expect. It's not luck, it's inconsistency. It's not like we had tons of fumbles or picks, or balls that just bounced our way. In fact our total defensive turnovers were lower than most of the league. Couple that with the offensive turnovers and the differential was absurdly bad. We didn't really get lucky bounces, but we did take advantage of opponent mistakes late in the game. So while there is a small element of luck, it isn't what predominately got us 8 wins. The Patriots last year were the luckiest team in the NFL by a long shot.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is a hard stat to really worry about. The Jets got blown out by the Titans (-25), Bengals (-40), Bills (-23), and Dolphins (-20). Those 4 games alone were -108. The biggest Jets win of the season was Week 17 over Miami (+13). It was concerning last year, but not something to carry over to 2014 hopefully.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a History buff but I believe it was said by Sir Edmond Barcs, Year of our Lord 2014.

BacktoQueens and Cman68 like this.
  9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yup that's the scary part. Teams have improved after poor point differential but history points to the fact that if the team doesn't improve their play their record is bound to drop just because the luck/fortune/etc is going to swing the other way

That's also the exciting part, there is a lot of potential on this team and they have a serious chance at improving their play and becoming a better team. All this is why I chose no to the playoffs. Saying yes would be me basically hoping everything goes right and improves fro the Jets. I need to see it once before making that leap to yes we make the playoffs.

Either way, like I said, exciting season to be sure. Really will show us what our future as Jets fans will look like.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Well I think our additions, plus better QB play WILL make up for that point differential, but im not sure it will mean much in our W-L total. Its really hard to figure out. Ive seen some good teams lose some really close games early and before they knew it their whole season was down the drain.

11. Cman68

Of course. As he directed Lord Richard (Ricky) Nelson at the 2nd battle of Trafalgar. I believe the British Navy won the day. If it wasn't for the sage advice of Lord Barcs, history might have been changed forever.

God save the Queen!

#111 Cman68, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Barcs likes this.
  12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I wish the defensive backfield could have at least gotten a few more games under their belt before having to face that QB group (beginning in week #2) for a 6-game stretch against Aaron Rogers, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford (and Megatron/Ebron), David Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. We'll pretty much know by then where we stand. If, they could beat the Raiders in week #1, somehow go 3-3 during that 6-game stretch and go into the week #8 Bills game at 4-3, they could possibly go 10-6 and grab a wildcard. Even going 2-4 during that 6-game stretch they could go 9-7 and maybe (but probably doubtful) sneak in. In short, go 3-3 vs. the QBs.

BacktoQueens and Brook! like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that list of QB's (even David Rivers), scares me. Great point about the Jets secondary during that stretch too. Hope the D-line can get to the QB or it could get ugly.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

we'll have a lot of inexperience out there. agree would have rathered a few games to gel before facing that tough stretch.
    second half of season i'm expecting to finish strong. first half i'm expecting the darksiders to be out in full force looking to fire everyone and start over.
    If we can somehow get to 9-7, I'd consider that a massive success for this team. Wouldn't place good odds at all to get into playoffs, but there is an outside shot.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

ding ding ding! We have a winner!

16. Cman68

So you were at the 2nd battle of Trafalgar!

Bully for you!

God Save the Queen!!!

#116 Cman68, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

He is looking that up on google as we speak.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, those were dark days, for the empire. The empire was dying and was controlled and run by darksiders at the time, so they expected to lose, even against weaker countries. Most had already given up hope, despite having one of the youngest, toughest units in the world. It wasn't until Sir Edmond Barclay uttered those famous words, that the group was able to overcome this mentality and get back into the driver seat of world conquest. Sir Edmond was one of the few bright lights to shine in a sea of darkness, who kept the hope alive, whilst most others thought the sky was falling and already had their custom made nooses ready. So far the empire was 0-20 in bringing world conquest to them, a point that ChampionBrit69 constantly brought up, despite thousands of individual military victories. Sir Barclay reminded him that they would soon be 1-20 but he refused to believe it.

#118 Barcs, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Jets Esq. likes this.
  19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good post. We all know how Parcells said you are what your record says you are, but sometimes a stat like point differential screams at us to recognize that Parcells's saying sometimes needs some modification. For example, we all recognize strength of schedule as a factor, or playoff seeding helping some teams and hurting others. Why should we totally discount points differential?

Points differential concerned me all last season, but to be fair it did not necessarily predict the last four game record. But then it's never about one variable - others were involved in that stretch, like Miami's falling apart and failing to score a single point against Buffalo the week before, for example.

Still, I think too many look at that overall record last year as some kind of floor going into 14, which of course it is not. And last year's points differential is a relevant variable in assessing the future.

20. Cman68

Well played Sir!

I do believe Lord Nelson said before battle: "England expects that every man will do his duty". This could be the Jets' battle cry for 2014.