Will the Jets make the playoffs in 2014?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Will the Jets make the playoffs in 2014?

1. Yes

79.0%
  2. No

21.0%
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

These are the 6 AFC teams we need to beat to have the tie-breaker advantage for the last WC spot:

Week 1-Raiders-W
    Week 5-@Chargers-W
    Week 6-Broncos-W
    Week 9-@Chiefs- W
    Week 10-Steelers- W
    Week 15-@Titans- W

But the Raiders and Titans won't be competing for a WC spot anyway so that leaves 4 teams we got to beat:

Week 5-@Chargers-W
    Week 6-Broncos-W
    Week 9-@Chiefs- W
    Week 10-Steelers- W

But the Broncos will win the division with the Chargers taking the 1st WC spot, so that leaves 2 teams we have to beat to get the last WC:

Week 9-@Chiefs- W
    Week 10-Steelers- W

So by my logic we can go 2-14 and get into the PO as long as we beat the Chiefs and Steelers! It's called fuzzy math.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

This team has the potential to make a serious push if we get into the playoffs... I am talking AFC Championship, if not further... Call me a homer if you want but it is the truth... The key factors are going to be Geno's play, and our Corners... If Geno can get in a groove and limit the turnovers, and the corners and fucking stay with their man, we are going to be fine.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Jets have to get better within the conference, I think again that was a hard lesson last season when they lost to the majority of AFC teams outside of the division.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree. We have to dominate our own division, is as simple and as hard as that. If we can beat NE, Buffalo and Miami for a total of say five wins everything else will fall into place, and we should not give a rats ass about other AFC tiebreakers.
    Keys to a playoff position are:
    No major injuries, an offense that minimizes turnovers and poor field position, and a D that can stop the pass.
    I think we are getting very close to that.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I like it!

6. 101GangGreen101

We can do good in our own division and still miss the playoffs (The Raiders swept the division only to still miss the playoffs a few yrs back). We need to beat our WC competitors as well to win any potential tie-breakers. The Titans, Steelers, Chiefs for example. Very crucial games.

Still we should still do well in our own division.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Quick question.. Why are you obsessing over the Jets making the playoffs in 2014? It's not like the asteroid is coming to hit on New Years Day, 2015. I don't get this sense of urgency you and your fellow UberFans seem to have. Rex isn't going anywhere either no matter if the teams makes the PO's or not. Why? Because Woody loves him that's why and what Woody says, goes.

After 46 years, I don't feel this sense of 2014 or bust. It was the same in 1999, 2012, etc. Maybe you guys can shed some light on this.

8. 101GangGreen101

So you don't want your team to win and improve off of last year? This isn't a sense of urgency, we should want the best for the franchise and that is to make the playoffs to continue the learning experience. What kind of fan doesn't care if they make the playoffs or not?

With Idzik here's how I see things if we stay the course ...

2013 - Rebuild, begin to infuse team with young talent, learn how to win (8-8)
    2014 - Build off of last year, continue to infuse team with young talent, have a goal to make the playoffs (9 or 10 wins)
    2015 - Make noise in the playoffs (10+ wins)
    2016 - We go for all of the marbles.

Playoff experience is crucial to the development of the players.

9. Cman68

Sometimes the best for a team takes more time to develop than we'd like it to. I'm not the kinda fan that fools myself into thinking this team is something its not. I believe in results. I believe in what I see, not what I hear from Rex or anyone in the employ of the media or the Jets PR department.. I don't count losses as wins like a lot of you do. (re: AFCCG's). Bill Parcells was absolutely right even if you refuse to accept it. You are what your record says you are. No amount of wishful thinking will change the results on the field.

If the Jets make the playoffs this year, I would be pleasantly surprised. If they don't, I'm still ok as long as they show progress. My world will not change if the Jets do not make the playoffs in 2014. Unlike you, I have the advantage of having watched this team almost 5 decades and I take a much broader view than you do. It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts. The Jets finished well last year but to ignore the weaknesses is a tell tale sign of self disillusionment. This team still has to develop. Give it time to do that. Hell, even Rex still has a learning curve when it comes to the offense. MM might be calling the shots, but Rex still has to understand, even minimally, what's going on and sign off on plays at critical times. He is the HC, That's what they do.

What's the matter here? Afraid to accept that the Jets may not be a good as you hope they are in 2014? They're improving, but they're not quite ready yet. Give them another year and we might be on the same page unless you post something outlandish like 15-1 or some such. We will know by the end of the season just where this team stands.

Now being a homer has it's advantages. Every year, no matter what the situation, you feel your team can defeat any and all comers. If they don't, there's always blame to place elsewhere. You feel your team is SB ready even when the roster and the CS hasn't been together 3 years yet. You reach for the quantum leap instead of accepting what is. You eschew patience for the quick fix.

Taking the long view is something a homer won't do. Why? Because it doesn't provide instant gratification. Try patience for a change. After 46 years, it's served me quite well. Maybe 46 years from now (2060) God willing, you'll be around to pass your experiences on to a future generation of Jet Fans.

10. 101GangGreen101

If they don't make the playoffs they don't make the playoffs - I want improvement just as you do, but I believe we are a better team then you think. I won't cry and say blow it up if they don't make it ... they can go 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. I think we improved enough where this team can get into the playoffs and gain some valuable experience that you cannot gain by missing the playoffs. We were right there last year and we will be right there when it counts this year. That's being realistic.

Turnarounds happen quickly in the NFL, this isn't freaking 1960 - this is a new era of football. Teams that won 2 games in 1 year can win 11 or 12 games the next. It's happened several times already. I've been watching this team since 1997, I've seen the good, bad and ugly as well. Just because you've been around longer doesn't mean I don't know how a team constructs, how it improves, what coaching means to a team and how they can mask flaws week in and week out. You and I haven't seen coaching this good on both sides of the ball in a long-time.

You really going to go down the Big Blocker path and start throwing that fucking stupid term homer, because I don't agree with what you have to say? Pretty petty. I expected more out of you as an elder statesman.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

There is always the possibility of dropping dead. I am tired of waiting for the Jets to win a Super Bowl. The Giants have gotten to the Super Bowl three times with mediocre teams (2000, 2007 and 2011 were all mediocre; don't let the 2000 record fool you) and went 2-1 in those Super Bowls.

10-6 is not too much to ask for in my opinion. From there, why can't the Jets have success in the playoffs?

12. Cman68

One can use the term "Homer" without saying a poster is or is not one. I was describing, IMO, how a homer would approach the Jets. Whether that describes you or not is a matter of opinion. I am not BB however, since this board's inception, we've seen them exhibit the same characteristics. Homer is a real description of a fan who is blinded by his loyalty. They see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil when it comes to the Jets. Every year the Jets are SB caliber no matter if its Mark Sanchez at QB or Tim Tebow. You know the type. I'm sure you've seen them by now.

I would be happy if this team duplicates 8-8. Why? Because they have a vastly improved roster and 2 years under the new CS tandem. Turn arounds may happen quickly, but I believe a CS has to jell and a new system has to be in place for a period of time to be fully understood and executed. This doesn't happen in two years usually. The Jets, over their history, rarely get struck by lightning and it ends well. It may happen for other franchises, but not us. Our best years took time to develop. This may be the new NFL, but there are things that stand the test of time. Consistency is one of them. Execution is another. This team is good on D, but the offense will need more time than 2 years to jell and that's the rub. We still need to establish a pecking order regarding our Wr's AND Qb. Geno still has to show he understands MM's system at a level he hasn't shown up until now. Rex will have the D ready to play, but he still has to have balance in the offense.

Year 3 will tell us a lot. It will tell us if Idzik is on the right path. It will tell us if after 6 years, Rex really is the coach we need instead of the sentimental favorite. It will tell us if the roster is PO ready on both sides of the ball.

Right now, we're still developing. We're not starting from scratch, but we are still developing starting talent AND depth. Depth takes more time to establish but is crucial as injuries happen regularly in today's league.

After 46 years, I've learned to wait, watch and then evaluate. I don't even listen to Rex's pressers anymore as they're mostly meaningless that rarely provide any insight. Maybe that's by design and if so, cool. I don't take anything I read in the press as gospel either. The only thing I care about is results. As long as the team improves, I'm willing to give them the time they need and not put deadlines on them.

I'm in "Patience (Show Me) Mode" instead of "Playoffs or bust" mode. That's more Champs thing than mine. As my sig says, when it comes to the Jets, "Show Me". Anything else is just yingyang/bullshit and I'm just not in that frame of mind anymore.

#92 Cman68, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  13. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

He's also saying it will be better than all of the Sanchez offenses, which is a little more than just saying the offense will be better than 2013's, even though all of the Sanchez offenses were bad or worse. The 2010 offense was better than 2013's, I think. Not looking at the stats so I may be wrong.

With the defense improving, the Jets should have a good shot in every game where there aren't too many Geno turnovers. Even if he just has less turnovers, I think that's enough for 9 wins. But I think he'll be more accurate, generate more TDs, and look better en route to a top-23 QB season.

14. 101GangGreen101

I'm not a homer. I'm a realist, and you sir are a pessimistic Jet fan with no low or minimal hope for improvement. I don't think the Jets want to settle for mediocrity, why should I have to? We've done some good things as a franchise the past few decades, anything can happen in this league.

I have negatives [offensive line, secondary inexperience] about this team as well. Major question-marks.

I know an upcoming team when I see it, and the Jets are just that - I don't understand why you keep saying "Playoffs or Bust" because that's not the mind-set I have about my Jets. My mind-set is fair and rational. I think the team has a floor of 8-8 and the ceiling is 10 wins and a spot in the playoffs. That's not far-fetched.

You aren't in a wait n see approach - you are in a "Jets won't do much approach"

8-8 has become a good record by your standards, I say the Jets organization has much higher standards these days. You don't have to listen to Rex's press-conferences (I never do) but I do see what product he puts out on the field. They have a never-die attitude. Seems to me you are more brainwashed by the media then anything.

We can develop and win - and like I said, the Jets at the end of the season will be there when it counts when it comes to contending for a spot in the dance.

Regarding your bold point - not every outcome is the same, every team is different. Dwelling about the past shouldn't make you look forward to the future.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did I just read someone saying that Cman was optimistic years ago? The same Cman that teamed up with Green Guy (RIP) many years ago to define the term "darksider"?

I've been waiting for over a decade to see the optimistic Cman. Aint happened.

Not that I'd change that, fun poster and great mind, if the Jets ever get there, I'm expecting Optimus C to come out in full force.

16. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

Wake up! If the Jets finish 8-8 or worse, Sexy Rexy is history as the HC of the NYJ.

17. Cman68

Not if Woody has anything to do with it. Rex is good for at least 2015. Not sure if you've read this or not, but Woody loves him some Rex so relax. No matter what you read or hear in the media, Rex is good to go unless the bottom absolutely falls out.

18. abyzmul

LOL at a Pats fan telling Jets fans to wake up. As if your decade long slumber illusions of a dynasty haven't ended.

19. Cman68

I'm surprised you remembered that Byz.. :)

Yeah, I'm probably the original "Darksider" (RIP GG..) and have never shied away from it. I'd like to think I've mellowed out a bit since those wild and woolly days. When the Jets made their run back in 1981, 1998, 2010 and 2011, I jumped on the bandwagon and cheered as hard as anyone else for them to succeed. When the Jets obtained Timmy, I blasted the deal and the team for being more concerned with the backpages than wins. I am not Champ by any stretch. Champ is Darth Vader.

If and when this team is ready and proven to be a true contender, I'll be right there out front. Until that happens, I'll just wait and see how they choose to develop a winner. I have more in common with Idzik than I do with Champ.

Forgive my skepticism. It's come at a price..

20. abyzmul

At times you have definitely mellowed out, C, surprised me actually. But when times get tough, or shitty depending on your outlook, yeah, Cman that I remember from back in the day gets in full gear.

Again, nothing wrong with any of that. You make the forum more interesting for it.