Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

the day Mac let Harrison walk, leaving a huge whole in the middle of our line, so he could keep all 3 lineman, only to trade away Richarson, was the day he fucked us over.

What would you give to have Richardson, Snacks Harrison, and Leonard Williams out there every down, with Harrison getting paid the most at $9M, about half of what Mo got.

The MINUTE we signed Leonard Williams, Mac should have re-signed Harrison and put Mo on the market. We'd have the best d-line in the NFL for the next 10 years with no salary issues.

This, by far, is the biggest blunder Mac has made, and it will haunt us for years.

ajax and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  2. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I think Wilkerson was, and is, overrated. He benefited a great deal from playing with Snacks; and now that he's gone, Mo's just an average D-lineman, and certainly not deserving of the salary he's getting paid.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

With so many vets already having been dumped, and with the team clearly in full-rebuild mode, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss cutting older players, especially ones with huge salaries who have been invisible on the field. It has nothing to do with being a bad fan, it's to do with maximising the chances of rebuilding properly. There are differing opinions on how to do it, but it's a legitimate discussion, and not a knee-jerk reaction to one terrible performance.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

revisionist history at its finest here....

5. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Sure, lets dump all the players - if Mo shouldn't be part of the rebuild, as you imply, at 27, where does one draw the line? Lets cut em all.

IMO, because of the leg injury he sustained last year and the disappointing performance, he's unfairly being placed under a microscope for every game so far, including preseason. It's way too early to tell on just one game where the QB was as slippery and as elusive as was Taylor was. At 27, he's still considered a young vet and a very important piece to that D-line. This topic is only legitimate if we were looking at this after 5-7 games into the season, otherwise it's a moot point because he's on the team and is not going anywhere for the foreseeable future because of the contract.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wilkerson is garbage and did exactly what I expected he would do once he got paid..I've said it before so I will again..because of the shit contract we gave him, snacks is playing for the giants and richardson for seattle and both of the are and will continue outplaying wilkerson for as long as the three remain in the nfl.

Jets69, Will-I-Am-Not and grkmanga31 like this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He is being placed under a microscope because we had a stacked D-line and he was the one to get a huge contract over Harrison and Sheldon. Now, I'm not saying it was the wrong move but the unfortunate reality is he did absolutely fuck all last season and if he does nothing this season, whoever the GM will be, will cut him.

Now, do I get the point of criticizing after 5-7 games sure, but there were signs in Week 1 that earily resemble his no-show performances from 2016. That is why it is concerning. He makes the most on the team right now so obviously he deserves criticism if he can live up to the contract.

I can't speculate why he hasn't been effective. I don't think Tyrod being elusive is the reason. I remember very well when Tyrod was running for his life in 2015 from Wilkerson. Also, going forward and seeing other o-lines struggle in the NFL, Wilkerson really doesn't have any excuses for not performing. 2016 may have been due to injury, but 2017 can't be. I want him to do well, I want him to play up to his contract, but I have my reservations. Like you said, in 5-7 games we'll know what's up.

8. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

we lucked out

#88 hastygreen, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nobody said let's cut them all. The point being made was that Wilkerson is being paid a fortune, is doing very little on the field and is now a long way removed from his injury. He doesn't appear to be giving much of an effort. Fans have a right to criticise players who don't seem to be giving an effort.

Will-I-Am-Not and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I see the Williams draft pick is still having repercussions. The Sons of Anarchy should have never been disbanded. Once Rex left, the dline has been headed south ever since. Kacy Rodgers will never be Rex Ryan and his results with this defense reflect that. Kacy has his job still because he's Blowes' pal. Wilkerson probably could use a change of scenery just like Damon and Sheldon.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

it is, but it also word for work I have typed here on TGG since the moment Leonard Williams was brought into the fold.

My love for Snacks was intense. Just seeing NE afraid to run against him, even one time in almost 2 qtrs, was precious. 18 straight passe. And then when Bill sent in the run plays, Snacks snuffed 3 in a row for a loss. Snacks turned NE into a one trick pony and we went on to beat them that day.

ALL GOOD 3-4 DEFENSIVE LINES START WITH THE NOSE TACKLE! This man MUST shut down the entire middle of the field so the d-ends can wreak havoc. And we had the best (and now the Gianst have the best NT in football).

Think of how incredible our line would be with the super powers of Snacks Harrison totally dominating the middle with super talents like Richardson and Williams crushing of the edges.

And to have that line with zero cap issues would be a second blessing.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Understandable but Wilk was the more dynamic player and when he was signed, I don't think anyone felt Snacks would come back especially as that year wore on. He's an elite NT and got money for being that guy. I think my only issue with MW is they should line him up less as a 3-4 type NT because he's not that and have him line up as a 3-4 end. Big Cat is excellent at the one end and now they been moving Ealy and etc at the other spot. Either you go 4-3 and move MW to a More natural spot at the DT or he becomes a 3-4 end. No more masquerading him exclusively on the inside.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. BomberJet

Bowles is the real culprit as to why we see players under perform or disappear, imo. He screwed with Richardson enough to where he is now gone and doing very well with another team while the symptoms with Mo look eerily similar. There's a point where you have to decide how many players need to be dumped to fit the coaching strategies or just dump the coach and find one to fit the way the team is constructed.

What gets me is that this team is being totally revamped to fit an unproven coach's philosophy. With all this unfolding before our weary Jets fans eyes, and player changes do continue, it wouldn't make sense not to give Bowles another year to over see this whole transformation. Scary thought.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I remember watching an interview with Bellichick when they were talking about the Browns and his time there, one of the things he mentioned about his approach was how he tried to put players everywhere on the field and try to create matchup disadvantages, as he got wiser he said he didn't realize he was creating matchup advantages for the opposition because he was asking guys to do things they simply could not do.

I believe you are seeing a HC and Rodgers who are trying to keep their best players on the field and just plug them in and hope those players abilities and skills can create matchup advantages for jets, but what they are not realizing is that they are helping out the opposition by asking their guys to do things they cannot do.

15. BomberJet

As sad it is to say, and I hate to say this but Bellicheck is the real reason why the Pats have been so successful. He puts the players in a position to succeed based on what they can do. If you look up and down that roster, now and previous, you'll see more role players than pro-bowlers or HOF's. Brady is a sure fire HOF, and maybe their TE, but with a few exceptions, I can count on my hand those players that we can say were all time greats.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Umm if I recall Richardson just got suspended for driving 100 mph with a gun and kid in the car while Wilkerson was playing like one of the best interior DL in the NFL.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They had good guys, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Randy Moss, Ben Winter Coates, Seymour, Wes Welker, there was another couple LB that made huge contributions to that team. The two constants have been Bill and Brady.

18. Footballgod214

Snacks was long gone before Richardson decided to play Bonnie and Clyde with his 10yr old nephew in his car

19. Footballgod214

How many fans liked seeing Beast Mode and every other running back gash the middle of our line? How does a GM let the NFL's top NT just walk out the door? Our D-line with our MLBers have been unable to stop the bleeding. So sad...

4jetfans likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

It was a numbers game with the defensive line. Snacks arguably was the most valuable but talent wise, Mo, Sheldon held the candle. But as you can see, if you're going to run a 3-4, you NEED a NT...a true guy who can eat up the middle of the line.

The Jets don't have that right now. Big Cat and Wilkerson are great to good DE's in a 3-4 but a Snacks or any beefy type NT would help this team IMMENSELY...I don't think Pennel is that, or anyone on the roster. That in return, it hurts guys like Davis and Lee, who are more fast type LB's who need help in getting into the lane....but when you can single block each of our DE's (especially the middle), then offensive linemen OF COURSE are going to blast through Lee and Davis...it's a total mismatch there.

Look either the Jets switch this damn thing to a 4-3 and let Mo and Big Cat make up that middle, and get some speed rushers off the edge or they get a damn 3-4 NT. The Jets are half assing this defense and it's killing the team. Adams flies to the football as is. Maye is always around the ball...they need to fix this square peg/round hole crap they have going on.