Wilkerson was allowed to practice - Let the firing begin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Dec 20, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Aside from the well known transgressions Wilkerson has committed, I think most of us assumed the writing was on the wall for next season and how he would be a cap casualty. Some, including myself were advocating he be a healthy inactive the rest of the season.

It turns out that he was allowed to practice today and to that I say whoever made this decision should be fired and should follow Wilkerson out the door.

Maybe over the top but Wilkerson has literally fleeced the jets out of millions of dollars so he can continue to show up late, despite being reprimanded multiple times. You're telling me, that despite his salary being guaranteed next season if he gets injured, you're going to keep playing him?

It's nonsensical and shortsighted and I would imagine this move comes from a depsperate place that thinks Wilkerson is going to magically make us win games.

Shameful

BomberJet, Jets69, FlaJet and 3 others like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agreed. What benefit is there of playing Mo? At his salary and performance on and off the field, he's a goner. There are two meaningless games left and if he gets hurt, then they're stuck with him next year. Much more worthwhile to see if Xavier Cooper can play (which PFF said he did so well on Sunday).

I'll be very disappointed if they do in fact start and play him this week

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, he shouldn't be practicing to avoid injury ... take this as you may be apparently, on the radio today someone mentioned that Bowles didn't want Mo back or had reservations on the signing. I def want to hear more about this.

Way to go Jets.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Very Jetty..

RPOZ51 and grkmanga31 like this.
  5. grkmanga31

I heard yesterday that Macc, Bowles and Chris Johnson met on what to do regarding Wilkerson which means to me that they all did not agree in terms of the course of action and needed to hash it out before deciding. IMO, at this point I don't even care, I'm tired of this team making foolish decisions.

I'm not rooting for injury but it would be the most jets thing ever if Wilkerson tears or breaks something in practice and ends up fucking our salary cap projections for next season. Would be an instantly classic SOJ moment.

A move like this signifies to me that some, or a few people in the Jets coaching/upper management have no backbone.

boozer32, FlaJet, jetstopgun and 2 others like this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If a guy is under contract and is disciplined for infractions he has committed, its supposed to be progressive discipline.

What do you want the administration to do?

Give the union cause for a legitimate grievance?

He is going to pay for it when he is cut from the team next year, but as for now jets are doing things the right way.

I would be curious to find out more about the comment made by @101GangGreen101 in regards to Bowles not wanting him to be signed.

LAJet likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, some writer argued with Joe Benigno today and mentioned that the CS had reservations about resigning Mo a few years back, due to his immaturity. Yes, I actually listened to the radio and yes, I was very bored at work :D ...

time to search the interwebs ...

Red Menace likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

Except the Jets could suspend Wilkerson based on the amount of transgressions committed and use that a means to make him a healthy scratch for the remainder of the season. The union should not be dictating how a team deals with dealing out discipline. He got millions of dollars to produce on the field and hasn't. He got millions to show up on time and he hasn't. Jets should be able to deactivate him the rest of the way. The fact that they haven't sends a bad message IMO and for a lot of people it's simply unacceptable.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

I know Joe and Evan have a weekly spot with Brian Costello which aired yesterday. I didn't get a chance to hear it though but I would assume that's who may have mentioned the comments above.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cimini tweeted an hour ago that mo is there but not being allowed to take part in drills. I’m guessing they can’t send him home without getting into a spat with the union .

BomberJet and FlaJet like this.
  11. I believe it was Jonas Schwartz(sp?) from SNY w Joe & Evan during lunch hour today.Suggested Bowkes has concerns w Wilk getting re-signed & looking back there were whispers within Twitter verse before he actually resigned that there were concerns within Jets leadership of such

Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  12. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I think the plan was that Mo would be so late that he'd miss the practice, and thus eliminate any concern about injury.

13. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

If they do let him play it would reflect the overall lack of discipline on the team and help represent it's excessive penalty count.

FlaJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The punishment must fit the crime or infraction. The union does not dictate anything other than the due process, it's a protection for players to avoid arbitrary action by their bosses.

I'm sure there is some outline as to what the procedure is like baseball, the union and owners have come up with an outline for using PED. 50 games, 100 games, then the season, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not happy Mo has turned out like this, but he has been disciplined progressively up to this point.

Next year he'll be some one else's problem.

FlaJet likes this.
  15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Bowles should make practice time an hour earlier w/out telling Mo' then let him show up 'late' and sit him for good...

TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Pure hilarity and delusion.

Jets69 and FlaJet like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, Red.

I don't know what the CBA says, but I wouldn't think suspending him for two games would be over the line. Even if the CBA filed a grievance and it was overturned, it would send a clear message to the other players on the team that being late would no longer be tolerated.

I don't think he will pay by being cut. He may lose some money, but he will be free from the Jets, which I think he wants. Another team will sign him to a "show me" deal with lots of incentives, he'll play great, and sign a new contract for big $s.

To make matters worse, the SOB said to the media that he thinks he has earned every penny the Jets have paid him. If Karma is in any way real, he will get what's coming to him, and he WILL deserve that.

As far as Bowles having said that he didn't want Mo re-signed, I'd have to hear it from Bowles own lips or see the article with the exact quote before I'd believe anything 101 says.

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

So I see the FIRE EVERYBODY! CUT EVERYBODY crowd is back.

The guy is late for meetings. Has he shot anyone, cursed out or choked a coach, or broke a teammate's jaw (Hi Geno!)? You cut a guy for that or sit him for the rest of the season and you're going to have other guys in the locker room bitching about it, creating drama. Sit him out a quarter (first offense), leave him at home (second offense), let him play like crap for two more Sundays (assuming no more offenses), and then cut him at the first opportunity. If he's late again, suspend him for the rest of the year - so long as he gets paid, the player's union doesn't care.

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Typical Cimini question kicking a guy in the nuts when he's down and putting him in an impossible position. If he says "every penny" he's a lying sack. If he says " No", then he just admitted to being a lazy sack. If he waffles and says " I give all out effort and try my best but injuries, system, losing Sheldon/Harris etc." then he's going to be seen as making excuses.

Of course he hasn't played up to his contract - That's why he's gonna get cut, but he'll never admit it!

Red Menace, matt robinson 17 and FJF like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Of course that was his answer. That would be the answer 99% of the time it was asked to anyone anywhere.