Wilkerson gets franchise tag

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Feb 29, 2016.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Kimberly Jones @KimJonesSports
    NYJ will place franchise tag on Muhammad Wilkerson by 4pm Tuesday deadline, according to someone with knowledge of team's plans.

Will take up $15.7 million of cap space next year.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We knew it was coming. It would really make sense to work out a longterm deal ASAP but for some reason, I don't see it happening.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well start the clock. I guess we'll end up getting a 2nd and a 4th if a trade were to happen. I can't see any team giving up a first round pick and a new contract.

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Its a shame that the Jets and Giants would never trade with each other cause they're might not be another team out there that needs a Wilk type player on their team more than the Giants do. And they would easily give up their 1st rounder for him.

Maybe Dallas and Atlanta too.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if we sign and trade, if it doesn't involve a first they better not pull the trigger - unless it involves a worthy player in return.

6. TurkJetFan

who says they wouldn't trade with each other? I don't think that's the case.

7. 101GangGreen101

be prepared to be disappointed. I can see us getting a 2nd and 4th for Wilk because Wilk requires a new contract as well. That lessens the value.

RochesterJet likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Best outcome is locking him up long term now, while lowering that 2016 cap hit.

FJF likes this.
  9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

we aren't trading him

FJF likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My thinking is mac tags him and puts hin on the back burner until f.a. is over. Then he will have a better idea of what kind of cap hits he can take with mo.

11. irishwhip03

You think there's a chance the Jets would trade arguably their best defensive player to the Giants?

I think there's less of a zero percent chance of that happening.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Macc has to either ink Mo long term soon or trade him for a first or something as good. Anything less would be a disappointmemt.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What's the problem? The Giants play in the NFC, they have nothing to do with us.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why exactly?

15. TurkJetFan

I do. I don't think from a 'what's best perspective' trading him out of conference matters. They don't sit there like fans thinking about this cross town BS. If the Giants make the best offer that works for the team they'll certainly do it. If the Jets turned out the Giants offer assuming it's the best offer on the table, because we're playing Jets vs Giants I would be frankly furious.

16. TurkJetFan

I don't think that lessens his value at all. His value is as a football player. A team looking to make the move, would have the cap freedom to sign him. By this logic a team would not give up a 1st for JJ Watt because of his contract. That's ridiculous. If anything it's even better for a team because they would get to determine the terms of the deal from step 1.

17. irishwhip03

Well consider me shocked if it even comes out that the two teams have any contact regarding Mo.

And I agree with you that if the Giants give us the best offer it would make the most sense to make the deal with them. But for the same reasons teams dont usually deal within divisions , these two teams wont be even swapping practice players anytime soon.

18. 101GangGreen101

The NFL at the end of the day is still a business. JJ Watt right now is signed and already under a deal [for MULTIPLE years I might add], where-as Mo is not under a deal except for the franchise tag [which in itself is not a long-term deal]. Logically speaking, it's not even close to the same scenario. So not only will the team need to pony up a high pick, they'll need to give him a large deal as well. NFL teams never do this dude.

Tell me the last thing something like this transpired?

19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Keep Wilk, work on a long-term contract next year. Gamble that Sheldon cleans up his act so he can be traded for a 2017 pick.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We can only guess why, but the fact that the Jets were not able to reach agreement with Wilkerson and his agents makes you wonder whether he was asking too much. I don't know that, and how much is too much is a subject for debate. But it's certainly a strong possibility.

If that is the perception that gets out, it might make him that much less attractive in a trade. If the Jets do not resolve his contract situation and trade him without one, which looks likely as the way a trade would go, anyone looking to trade for him would have to be concerned that his agent is insisting on too much money.

NYJetsO12 likes this.