Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was thinking about it yesterday in terms of our quarterbacks developing and it annoys
    me that we released Decker. Marshall had to go because of his cancerous attitude in the locker room.

But these quarterbacks aren't getting a fair shot with these receivers. I know that there is some talent there with the rookies and Peake/Anderson, but there is also only 1,638 total career receiving yards between the wide receivers and tight ends (excluding the runningbacks).

Both Petty and Hackenberg would've greatly benefitted from throwing to a legitimate established pro receiver. Our mantra this year is to develop youth but there are some places where you should not cut corners when it comes to developing these guys.

Same thing with the offensive line although we at least signed Beachum.

I would've liked to at least see SOME veteran talent brought in or kept (Decker) to help these freaking guys out. That can show the young guys the ropes and give a safety net for the young quarterbacks to lean on.

Just another frustrating part about how this roster has been constructed.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, releasing Decker was a mistake that will come back to bite them in the ass.

grkmanga31 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

He's not some deep threat like Desean Jackson that will only benefit from playing with a big armed quarterback. He's one of the better possession receivers in the league in the intermediate range of the field that moves the chains and runs crisp routes. That would've been perfect for a young quarterback.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

As I understood it, they wanted to bring Marshall back, but he had no interest because of the state of the team. I think once they weren't bringing Marshall back, they decided to go all in on rebuilding the offense.

I agree with you, though. You need at least some veteran talent to stabalize things so that you can function as you evaluate. Letting Decker go was a mistake.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

When there are rumors your #2 WR might not even make the team (Peake), you have put your QB's in a terrible position. Add to the fact the O-line is terrible, and Hack/Petty have no chance. McCown doesn't either, but no one cares, as they were just hoping the young guys can learn and improve in 2017. It's a shame and a mess.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets should try to make a move for Jarvis Landry if they could, even though Miami is in our division. Reports are saying that they're seriously considering trade offers for what thats worth.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Marshall was under contract for 2017 for $7.5M but it was not guaranteed so they were able to release him

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

And here I was under the assumption for many months that MM was a lot smarter than Bowles?!?

For me Mac started off a few years ago as a grade B manager based on what he did

Then came the Mevi$ and Fitz fiasco plus the unchecked spending on FA with mediocre draft picks

Throw in the association with super dummy TB to bounce your ideas off of and now you have grade D GM

Way to ruin your career Mac...you need to sign up for the Stanley H Kaplan remedial course in how to GM

Absolutely pathetic...

TBH I didn't like them asking Deck to leave but he was injured...but now ASJ is really your only vet less Enunwa injury

So it goes for this ship of fools heheh

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. slimjasi

Right, but I believe I read in multiple places that they were initially interested in bringing Marshall back and only decided to release him after talking with him and realizing that he had no interest in being part of a rebuild.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whether it was as you state, or if Mac had a different reason for going all in on a youth movement, or it was Woody's orders to cut expenses since the team would be losing a lot, it was a big mistake. Both Decker and Mangold should still be here.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So you thought mac was a grade B until the revis fiasco which was essentially his first move?

Dierking likes this.
  12. slimjasi

Based on the context of the conversation, I'm assuming you mean Marshall and not Mangold.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can be too critical of them deciding to let Marshall go. He's the type of guy who you don't keep around once he's let you know that he's not interested in being there anymore. And, I'm not exactly sure what happened with the team infighting last year, but it sure as shit sounds like Marshall was in the middle of it.

13. NCJetsfan

No, I meant Mangold.

Marshall didn't want to stay. I already knew that they had asked him his preference, but he didn't want to stay. I thought it was stupid that they even asked or wanted him back. He quit on the team last year and there was bad blood between Richardson and he. One or both of them had to go.

They should have kept Mangold to help lead and stabilize the OL and to make the protections calls for the young QBs.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. slimjasi

Ahh, I see. Yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind still having Mangold in the locker room.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I don't get the rush to get Mangold out. It would've made sense if we needed that cap space to go out and spend a ton on free agency but we clearly didn't want to do that.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Young QB's need a talented surrounding cast to mask their deficiencies and to slow the game down and make things easier. In a year when evaluating a highly picked QB, Jets decided it best to ship Decker off, and have ignored OL for a few years. All of this is literally the worst formula to evaluate the progression of a young QB.

Jets are in a never ending cycle of ineptitude because they continue to go about building a team the wrong way. The basis of having a good team, especially with a young QB was done when Sanchez was drafted. Great o-line, great running game...fast forward to 2017 and its the complete opposite.

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I can think of only three possible reasons why they cut bait with Mangold.

One, the Jets thought he was done or there was a chronic medical condition that would hamper his play and prevent his staying healthy. There may be some validity to that idea since no other team has even contacted him about playing.

Two, Woody or Mac wanted to create more cap space for next season.

Three, there was some kind of problem between Mangold and Bowles.

18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I would agree but it seems like the Jets dont think Petty or Hack will ever be a franchise QB anyway so they have decided to literally blow it up

That's the only explanation I got, because if they were trying to see if one of them could be a franchise QB theres just no chance they would go with the O-line and WRs we have and expect to get a serious evaluation on them

Going to be a long season with hopefully bright days ahead

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I would have kept Mangold and Decker to at least the young QB's a reasonable chance, now they have nothing besides Powell, watching Forte the other night, he looks cooked