Why we Pick Cutler at 4, or trade way down

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hotcoles87123, Feb 27, 2006.

1. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

I have gone through 800 scenerios for this draft, and I think for now, I have it narrowed down. Cutler at 4, or trade down twice.

I was a big D Brick fan, and I still think he is going to be great, but if we drafted him, that would put Adrian jones to the right side, where a bigger tackle is preferred. If we can't get Cutler at 4, I think we trade down TWICE, pick around 14-20 and get Marcus McNeil for Right tackle. I also want Max Jean, and Maybe Nick Mangold. When you have so many needs, as the Jets do, you are kind of hand Cuffed into drafting a player of need, and not always the best player. Trading down will help us draft the best players available, and not have to worry so much about having to fill holes. If a mid first round talent such as Chad Jackson, drops to round 2, we may have to pass on him to take a lessor player to fill a more desperate need. I have watched the combine, and I LOVE Cutler. Also, Vernon Davis with a 4.38??? thats crazy. Brod bunkley looks just like Tommie Harris when he came out- Manny lawson is 6'5 about 250, and ran a 4.41. I can't wait to see what the RB's (White, Williams, and Maroney) run. There are so many good looking players in this draft, I would love to trade down, trade Abe, and have a chance to draft 4-5 guys in the first 2 rounds.

Get back to me with some Combine, and draft talk.

2. 1028

1028 Active Member

The most I see us trading down is 1 slot. Its the most realistic scenario. Anything trades after that and in becomes fantasy IMO. The one thing to remember is that we cannot address all our needs in one year. That is, if we decide Pennington to be inadequate (and lets face it, its a very real possibility) we look to address QB or RB, but not both in the same year. Its either QB this year and RB next year, or RB this year and QB next year. How good a prospect we end up getting depends on the picks we secure from Abe as trade ammo to move up

3. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

So Green Bay is going to trade up one spot to draft who exactly???? Please tell me how that is realistic??? Look at their needs- I have. While I agree that trades are not exactly a given, they do happen, and in a draft like this with big time players at the top, there will certainly be moves made. I think teams like Arizona, Buffalo, or Detroit would have to consider trading up to get a franchise QB or LT. Anyway, I think the Jets can do a lot of rebuilding in one year through the draft. Look to the 2004 draft when within 2 seasons, we got a starting MLB, LT, S, a nickle CB, a third WR, a Dime Safety, and some good special teams players who could be starters in a few years like McGlover-- all this, and that doesn't include the McCareins Trade. We have better draft position this year, probably another 1st rounder with ABE traded, another 4th rounder from Herm, and possible another 3rd or 4th for compensatory picks from last seasons free agent losses. I believe that if this is worked right, we can easilly get 5-6 players who can start, or contribute significant playing time within 2 seasons.

4. 1028

1028 Active Member

Oops!!!! Sorry, Im a moron!!! I didnt mean 1 slot!!! I meant one time, I dont think its realistic to trade down more than one time. Hoping for any more than 1 trade down is unrealistic IMO. Thats what I meant

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While I am in agreement that we need to trade down, but to do it twice is overkill, to go from a top 5 pick to the bottom of the first round is terrible

6. WIJetsFan

WIJetsFan New Member

Here's a scenario.....if the Jets make a deal for Patrick Ramsey and they dump Abraham on someone...what do you do with the #4 pick???

I'd say either trade down or if there's aren't any deals pick Mario Williams.

React....

7. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

well, 14-20 is not the bottom of the first round, and it is very possible to trade twice and stay in the first half of the round. Teams drafting in spots 8-10 are realistic trade partners. From there you can trade down a few more spots if there is a willing team. Keep in mind, the lions traded 1 spot in 2004, the Texans traded 3 spots in 05, the Raiders traded 3 spots in 05-- trading down doesn't mean 10 spots each time, just enough to pick up a 2nd round pick. Who the hell knows- just what I would like to see... if we can't take Cutler

8. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

Nice... Well this is tough because I'm not sure how they view Ramsey- do they look at him as the long term answer at QB? Assuming they do, I would like to trade down to around 8-12, and go best player available at a need, which leaves us with every spot but Kicker and Safety pretty much. Since we would have already taken care of our QB it makes the draft a little easier to fill the other dire needs. With a pick like that, we could maybe get (most of these guys will be gone, but they can't all be) Vernon Davis, AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, Lendale White, Haloti Ngata, Jimmy Williams, with Marcus McNeil as a fallback. We would then have 3 picks in round 2, with one from a trade down, and one from the skins-- there, we could get a lot of Line help. I kind of like taking an OT and OG in round 2, with a RB in the first because it seems like the good RB's will be gone in round 1. If we get a RB, he needs to be a real talent, otherwise, we will have another average guy, much like the backs we already have on the roster. This actually seems like a decent plan for the Jets, and it is probably pretty feasable.