Why the praise for Culpepper?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by discostu570, Apr 5, 2006.

1. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

I don't know, I don't work here...

I'm well aware of Miami's band-aid approach at QB over the last five years. But you calling the trade for Culpepper just another "band-aid" is kind of wishful thinking on your part isn't it??? I mean, if healthy and well protected, Culpepper could easily be a long term solution in Miami. Not just a "band-aid" as you stated....

PLEASE. Miami is not desperate for anything right now. You're lost if you think Saban would consider doing what the Giants did with Manning. Is that what you're really implying / suggesting the Phinz do???...

2. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Code:
    w/Culpepper
    Game 1  11-5	L
    Game 2  11-5 	L
    Game 3  3-13	W
    Game 4  8-8	L
    Game 5  11-5	L
    Game 6  4-12	W

w/Johnson
    Game 7  11-5	L *Culpepper threw 4 passes before getting injured
    Game 8  5-11	W
    Game 9  11-5	W *The Vikings offense managed a mere FG, while setting a record with a KO, punt and int return for a TD
    Game 10 4-12	W
    Game 11 6-10	W
    Game 12 5-11	W
    Game 13 6-10	W
    Game 14 11-5	L
    Game 15	6-10	L
    Game 16 11-5	W *Of course we know this game was meaningless for the Bears so we might as well throw this result out

As you can see the only games against an opponent with a .500 record or better all year that the Vikings won were due to a record setting special teams and defensive performance, and a week 17 game against an opponent resting up for the playoffs. The Vikings defense folded down the stretch like it always does, giving up 30 points to the moribund Ravens offense week 16 in the game that cost them a playoff spot.

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

good point 3rd and 15 i was going to point out that there defense just so happened to show up once culpepper went down.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Hey blitz, you are absolutely right. Regardless of how good or overrated any of us think Culpepper is, he immediately improves the QB position for your team.

I am much happier you got him than Brees though.

5. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

3rd and 15:

Culpepper was 2-4 against teams that were a combined 48-48 for the year. He threw 6 TDs and was intercepted 12 times. He was averaging five sacks per game before he went down with the knee injury.

Brad Johnson was 7-3 against teams that were a combined 76-84 for the year. He threw 12 TDs and had 4 INTs while averaging 2 sacks per game.

I think you're going to have to backfill with a ton of excuses to deny that Johnson's play was not a substantial improvement over Daunte's.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

Culpepper had a miserable start to the season, no one is going to dispute that. However not so coincidentally he had 2 very good games against the 2 bad teams that he faced. It's reasonable to assume that the trend would've continued, and Daunte would've played well in most of the games that he missed.

Anyway, this was never totally about Daunte anyway. You said that the Vikings improved when Culpepper went down, which I have proven to be false. They still lost to the good teams, and beat the bad teams. While all the nitwits in the media were leading the charge for Brad Johnson for MVP during the winning streak, I correctly predicted that the Vikings would come crashing back to earth the last 3 weeks of the season. The worst you could say about Daunte is that Brad Johnson performed as well as Daunte would have, but of course we know there is more to a football team then its QB.

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

That first comment wasn't directed at you, I just didn't want to write another post.

Well, Culpepper has serious health concerns and he is not exactly young. Even if he is healthy this year, taking into account his injuries, how many years he has left is a real question mark. There is a reason Saban is talking to Detroit about Harrington.

I am suggesting that Miami needs to find a young QB, with alot of potential, and groom him to be the QB of the future. My point about the Giants was they saw the need to develop a young QB to lead the team for years to come, and went out got one.

Now that young QB can learn behind Culpepper. It is the perfect time to groom your future QB, maybe that is why Saban is interested in Harringtom? Who knows how long Culpepper has left with all his injuries.

8. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I want to clarify my original statement.

Im not saying I think Culpepper will be a complete bust necessarily. Im saying the media is reacting to this signing as though this guy were an MVP type player, when the evidence suggests that thats far, far, far from the case, even if you ignore the injury risk.

I would argue that in the same way that Randy Moss's presence allowed a bunch of nobodys like Onterrio Smith and Moe Williams to be 1000 yard rushers year after year, his presence coupled with Culpeppers unique abilities(he does have a cannon for an arm) allowed Culpepper to look like an all-pro quarterback. Without a dominating receiver like Randy Moss(and there isnt anybody else in the league who can do for a team what Randy Moss does, and probably wont be for some time), Culpepper is average at best.

And if you want to justify all his positive press by saying that hes better than anything else they have on the roster... I mean, if your upgrading over your own crap with slightly better crap, you still havent made your team much better, your starting quarterback is still crap. The media isnt saying, well the Dolphins improved, Culpepper is better than Frerotte. The media is saying that the Dolphins just acquired a premier quarterback, and that to me is unjustified.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Frerotte and Rosenfels played much better than him in 2005.

I didn't like Culpepper when he was with the Vikes so you can imagine how I feel about him now that he's with Miami. LOL I'd like to see him turn 'his team' (reason why he wanted Randy out in Minnesota) in Miami into the type of team the Vikings were in 2005 when he was the starter. I hope he fails miserably.:)

10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Culpepper plays Amazing when he has the talant around him. an with guys like ronnie brown, mcmichael and chambers ect.. he has better all around better supporting than he had in minnesota. and He has a Defense now. i could see him definetly putting up 30+ tds 3,000 if he is healthy.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The schedules were virtually even. Culpepper's opponents were 44-46, and Johnson's were 73-77 excluding the Minnesota games.

Who knows what Culpepper is. People are dismissing this injury as something that will not permanently affect Culpepper. He may never be able to scramble again. He may never be able to run again. He might not be ready for opening day. This was a huge injury. Toss that in with the uncertainty of whether or not he can win without Randy Moss, and he might not be an upgrade over Frerotte. He probably is, but it's still a major question mark and a major unknown.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I should say i think I've proven what a choker he is, enjoy it and I look forward to when you tell me I was right.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i can't believe no one mentioned the fact that culpepper is a fumbling machine...maybe he'll be an upgrade over ferotte,who knows....all i know is that the last time culpepper was playing, he was tossing up balls that were picked on a pretty regular basis, and taking a lot of sacks and fumbling

14. Outtawack311

Outtawack311 New Member

He still had a 64.4 completion % last year. He was only bad for the first 2 games of the season. In the third game he had 74.2 comp%, 280yards,2 td,0 int and a 123.1 rating. In the 4th game he was 3 of 4 until the injury.

Its not like he has been bad outside of those 2 games, he has one of the highest career QB ratings of all time at 91.8. Among all qualified quarterbacks in NFL history, Culpepper ranks third in passer rating and second in completion percentage.

How can anyone think culpep is a bad pick up for the phins?

15. Outtawack311

Outtawack311 New Member

The stats show that culpepper was better when he didn't run. He is known for running and passing, but the running mostly came when his line would breakdown. By the way, in his career he has played behind some of the worst lines in the league.

16. Outtawack311

Outtawack311 New Member

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Johnson did play much better than Culpepper last year but you have to look at what the two were asked to do. Culpepper was not calling the plays and he was under incredible pressure substantiated by the 5 sacks per game. Kind of reminds you of what the Jets QB's where under last year. When Culpepper went down the offense was completely changed and Johnson wasn't asked to take 5 step drops and throw down the field. Johnson wasn't asked to do very much at all and in fact threw for under 2,000 yards and had only 12 TD? and 4 INT?s because he was turned into a 3 step dump off machine.

The Vikings won by reducing mistakes on O and playing good D and great special teams. They also won against a pretty weak schedule. The Vikings also had a ton of new players on both sides of the ball, maybe the team just wasn't ready at the beginning of the season. Sounds very similar to a certain NY team where the QB sucked and was a fumbling machine before he was taken down by bad line play and a moron HC.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

SoS is a joke, besides Johnson's numbers were bolstered by that last game against Chicago which was meaningless for the Bears. You have to break it down game by game as I did and then you'll see the reality. The argument I was making in this thread has nothing to do with Culpeppers injury or if he'll be ready to go this year, just the common misconception that Brad Johnson somehow transformed the Vikings into "winners" last year when this was clearly not the case.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

agreed, he didn't turn them into winners...but whatever the case may be, johnson played better than culpepper did last year and that is fact

maybe the team was gelling still, but that's no excuse for the 12 pics culpepper threw in what, 4 games?

This guy is def. a risk worth taking for the dolphins imo. But make no mistake, Culpepper is very far from being even a definite to have a solid year, nevermind a great year. His knee injury is very serious, he looked like crap last year, and who knows if he was really just a product of randy? Shall be interesting....

20. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

No....you're not calling Culpepper a bust, you're just calling him crap.....