Why not coaches?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Patriot, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

As many of you may know over the years, the Jets have gone through many offensive schemes every time they changed offensive coordinators. Some of your best QBs Brady, Manning, Brees, and Montana have benefitted from always running the same offensive scheme.

What doesn't make sense to me is why players are always forced to learn new schemes when a new coordinator is introduced. Why can't these coordinators themselves be required to know more than one scheme? Why should players whether they be a defensive or offensive unit be always forced to learn a new scheme with the introduction of a new coordinator. Would it make more sense to have coordinators that can coach multiple schemes?

Lets say you are an OC and you can coach more than one offensive scheme, would that not make you more hirable? I think always putting the burden of a new scheme to the players instead of the coordinators is not only unfair, but illogical.

Maybe someone can explain to me why the burden should fall on the players and not the coordinators when it comes to picking up a new scheme? There may be a good reason that I overlooked.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good point..Patriot

A Multi modal approach can be a unique feature to an OC..knowing SO MANY systems eg not just WCO to me would be a plus because it speaks to someone who is highly intelligent

I mean just learning one system is hard...

OTH..if you are an OC sometimes you want to come up with a system to FIT the personnel you have ,,so if the OLD system was working and the players already know it thats what happens and i guess its easier for players

#2 NYJetsO12, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018