Why is ever down on Brian Leonard?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Would you feel OK taking him at #57? Because that's where we would need to draft him.

2. Theo Lambros

Theo Lambros New Member

It's a common problem facing draft prospects. One would be naive not to believe it. There is no other reason why Leonard would be believed to be slow. And why isn't Eric Weddle viewed a CB when he held Johnson to 2 catches for 19 yards in the 2006 bowl game- because there aren't any white cornerbacks anymore.

Jay Moore is on record by saying he's only seen as an overachiever because he's white and wants to disprove that notion...

3. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I'm just letting you know because I know there was a big thing on here a few days ago about it and someone got angry and ended up getting banned.

4. Theo Lambros

Theo Lambros New Member

It looks like I'll have to drop it then, but I think I showed it's not one man's opinion/political views/etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. Bomber

Bomber New Member

That's a shame that that debate 'isnt allowed', because its almost like saying race doesn't exist.

Some white players seem to get the tag: "unathletic but intelligent" (!!!)

6. JetsLookingforDWare

Exactly.

Ignoring the issue of race in prospects is just going to make it a larger issue in the end.

I'm excited that Jay Moore is on the record saying what he said. It's a little annoying to see every white prospect implied that he's not as athletic as your typical black prospect, but he's more intelligent, better work ethic, and higher motor. It doesn't stop.

7. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Shaun Alexander and Stephen Jackson arent burners either, but they do pretty good. Brian Leonard is going to be an excellent pro. Hes a solid blocker already, and is only gonna get better as a blocker with better coaching. Brian Leonard is gonna be the Brian Westbrook of fullbacks.

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

uh oh, someones not gonna be happy about this haha

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fullbacks should be taken on the second day of the draft.

It's just not that much of an impact position in most schemes and the effectiveness of the fullback depends largely on the QB and the HB behind him.

10. All Star

All Star Active Member

You do know that Leon Washington barely beat Leonard's 40...........

11. JetFanInPA

It's not all about straight ahead 40-time speed. Washington is MUCH more elusive and quick than Brian Leonard.

12. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

'nuff said

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Oh come on dwalsh. Leonard is nowhere near near fast enough (ignore the 40 time), agile enough, or athletic enough (ignore that giant picture of yours) to be a true NFL player.

Is it certain this isn't an issue of race? The old "white guys can't be that athletic" stereotype?

14. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

he will get face planted if he tries that in the NFL

15. JetFanInPA

When did I say that?

So you would be happy with Brian Leonard being taken at #37 or #57?

16. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Turn your sarcasm meter on.

I think I've said it in this thread already that I would pick him no earlier than the third. I've started to rethink that because of this thread, but not enough.

He's a damn fine prospect though, and would be a huge weapon within any offense that decided to use his obvious skills.

I might be happy with picking him at 57 if and only if we have addressed two of OLB/DE/or G with 25 and 37. There are alot of guards in this draft that are both talented, but falling anyway. We don't HAVE to grab Blalock when there is Grubbs, Ramirez, Beekman, Yanda, Duckworth, and Wrotto ranked below him, all with significant talent. This draft also happens to be pretty deep as far as guys capable of playing end in the 3-4. Carriker and Branch will probably not be there when we draft, but Francis, Atkins, Crowder and a few other significantly talented 3-4 end prospects are there.

Leonard is a guy with ridiculous athletic attributes who also happens to be a perfect example of what Mangini seems to want in his players. That alone could rank him highly on our draft boards. Considering his versatility, speed, power, blocking skills, and so on...I see no reason why its out of reason to see us grab him with one of our seconds. People are prioritizing what we draft with our early picks, but that really reduces our choices. Tanny has said he wants us to be able to draft the best player available on draft day. Considering the Jets have FA to help fill needs (on the O-line hopefully), and this draft is pretty deep with defensive talent and WRs, I could definitely see them drafting Leonard with no fear of losing out on any needs.

I think he can be a better version of Mike Alstott. Considering Alstott was a guy capable of putting up 1,000 all around yards, thats a damn nice upside.

#37 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  18. JetFanInPA

It would have been obvious sarcasm in any other thread than this one. That stereotype was brought up for real at one point.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd round though. I really could see that happening...

19. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

Here's a pre-draft profile of BJ Askew. He ran a 4.58, fast for a big back/FB. Didn't really have a position. Would be a good pro, but at what position? Sound like Leonard at all?
    Truth is, I like Leonard. He'd be great second day value. I would love to see him in green even if he were the #1 pick; I just think there are questions how his game will translate to the pro's and I think guys with that as a question are best picked later.

20. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

Here's the link:
    http://nfldraft.ionichost.com/BJAskew.html[/url]