Why DONNIE?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Nesquik, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I was mad when the jets fired Herm Edwards, but talks about Mangini were comming up so i was ok with another Bilicheck guy coming to the jets.But when Mangini fired Hendewrson i was so pissed off.

Donnie Henderson Bio

From 2003 to 2004, New York improved from 21st to seventh in total defense, 23rd to fourth in the NFL in points allowed and 28th to fifth in rushing yards allowed. The team?s 261 points allowed in 2004 was just 10 points more than the league-leading Pittsburgh Steelers, and it ranked third-best in team history. The Jets 2004 defense also garnered a league-leading seven second-half shutouts, and held nine teams under 100 yards rushing, which included just two 100-yard rushers.
    Last year, the Jets defense was stellar against the pass. The unit finished second in the NFL in total passing yards allowed per game (172.2) and was fifth in interceptions (21). In total defense, the Jets were fifth in the AFC (12th in NFL) allowing 308.8 yards per game.
    Prior to joining the New York Jets staff, Henderson spent five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, and was part of the franchise?s Super Bowl XXXV championship team. He was hired as the assistant defensive backs coach in 1999 and was promoted to defensive backs coach in 2000. The Baltimore, Md., native tutored a secondary that was key in the team finishing in the top 10 in pass defense in three of the four seasons he oversaw the position group

From 2000-03, the Ravens recorded 88 interceptions, which tied for the second-most in the league over those four seasons. Among the players he coached were three Pro Bowlers (S Rod Woodson, CB Chris McAlister and S Ed Reed), which represented Baltimore in the league?s annual all-star game a combined four times during Henderson?s tenure as defensive backs coach.

Can somebody tell me why Henderson couldnt stay in New York.It cant be because of the 34 cause the ravens ran it while he was there so he obviously knew it could work and was familiar with it.It dont make make any sence.

2. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Because he wasn't a Mangini guy and didn't run Mangini's defense. I guess Donnie's blitz happy defense was too much for Mangini.

The Lions defense is going to be much better then expected this upcoming season and beyond. If Huff goes there, Donnie is going to transform him into the next Ed Reed/Chris McAlister.

3. Nesquik

i guess mangini is a bitch then, that was his first mistake when he came to New York. Its seems already that he is some kind of control freak who cant compromise.

4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I think it was too much of an insult for both Donnie and Dinger to be passed over for the head coaching job, only to have to return and work under a guy younger and less experienced than you.

5. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Also, Donnie didn't want to come back... he openly said that he came here because he wanted to coach with Herm and now that the oppurtunity of that is gone he wanted out. Don't blame it all on Mangini Donnie wanted the HC job or nothing here once Herm was gone.

6. Nesquik

I thought that he should have been the head coach, after the 04 season he was getting alot of intereset from alot of teams.It would have made sence for him to just stay with the team that he's had sucess with.
    I dont think any body can tell me that Mangini is more qualiied than Henderson, just because he's a Bilicheck guy doesnt mean he's more qualified than any body else, especially Donnie.He was the db coach its not like
    Patriots had had their best defensive season, they actually slipped off from their dominance a couple years back, and he was in charge as the d.coordinator. Donnie made what was a bad defense one of the best in the league.
    And if donnie wanted to go with herm he should of went to KC with him, that i wouldnt have been as mad at if he really wanted to work with Herm that badly,but he went to Detroit a team who isnt much better than us.

7. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I thought it was Heimerdinger who said that?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe if Henderson knew what press coverage was, then he'd still be in a job. I think he blames a lot of the Jets defensive drawbacks this year on Henderson and why not. He was excellent in 04, but the line played terrible as a whole, the secondary faded and our only strong strong player was Vilma.

9. Ten

Ten Active Member

Just because Henderson and Mangini have both coached 3-4 defenses doesn't mean that they've coached the same scheme.

Donnie is more of a pressure/bring the blitz guy,sending guys after the QB at every chance.Mangini is more of a coverage/confuse the QB coach.Dropping different guys into coverage and giving different looks on defense to try and confuse the offense.

10. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Like some already said on this thread, donnie was not mangini's guy. As much as I was sad to see donnie go am glad he landed in det. This can only help him in the long run and get him closer to being a HC. If he can work his magic in detroit then look for him to be a coach in the not to distant future.