Why does Geno Smith receive so much hate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 5, 2015.

1. max

max Active Member

That and that it's a win now market.

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

This is spot on and this is what worries me about Geno . I was never a fan of Geno, but the coaching staff definitely didn't help, and the personnel and talent we had around him was awful. I believe most of his mechanical issues can be fixed(specifically is footwork ), and playing in a hybrid spread offense under Gailey this season and having excellent receivers should help, but if his confidence is "shot" he has no chance. The same thing happened to Sanchez, and it has has happened to many young Quarterbacks around the league.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

we weren't booing him the last game of the year when he crushed miami.

4. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Geno Smith's biggest problem was what was surrounding him.

Look at the shit we had at receiver the past 4 years? I think he can do well now that he finally has NFL players to throw to.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

He'll still back up 40yards before a throw.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to accept it, it seems the Jets have a disproportionate amount of fair weather fans compared to other teams. It's almost like too many were born angry fans, are negative to a fault and revel too much on the bad and not enough on the positive. It's probably driven by years of frustration. Add to that the few proverbial drunken assholes that cheer an injured Jet or disrespect fans by screaming obscenities, show me your tits, throwing their beers down the stairs etc etc and it makes it look bad for the many many more true fans that bleed green.
    We are the only fan base after all, that actually invested on a negative billboard for Petes sake. I guess booes where not enough.

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I was

legler82 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

His play speaks for itself, there is no accountability. You don't call out the media [as they are monsters], and when you get benched 3 times you don't say you showed flashes of pro bowl material. If he wants to be a leader, he needs to hold himself accountable for the mistakes he has made.

There is no denying his physical talent. He makes the same mistakes and for that he is not accountable for his actions.

This isn't true. He didn't fuck up in those games. He could have played better, but the team sucked as well.

hornblower likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

I think everyone on this board needs to know there is a 80% chance of Geno being the wk1 QB, the leash is even smaller - but if we want to smell playoffs it begins and ends with him.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

thanks mr. bowles.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter he won't beat out Fitzpatrick for the starting job anyway,Mac worked for the Texans he traded for Fitz...Fitzpatrick started for the Texans last year they went 9-7 Fitz has the edge to start week one.But Geno will have every chance in training camp

12. 101GangGreen101

If Fitz were healthy, he would win the starting gig. Geno will have all of the momentum. I think the Jets were pretty much stuck.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Every time he messes up I always see him own it. I don't see how he doesn't show accountability.

hornblower and DoubleDecker87 like this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Right. Because I wasn't even watching that game.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Packers....He tosses an INT at the packers 3.

We lose by 7. ( the D had a big hand in that one as well)

Chicago (at home no less) He tossed a 45 yard pick 6, then an INT in the End Zone, 1&10 from the Bears 18. We lose by 8. He accounts for a 10 point swing.

Detroit, We lose by 7, Smith has a pick deep in Detroit territory, and on the ensuing possession, a strip sack also in Detroit territory....

There's a reason he got yanked in week 5.

Saying he didn't fuck up in those games is abject denial.

#75 Hobbes3259, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    jetsons likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Last time I checked accountability isn't just off the field. It's on the field too. Or are we going to blame the lack of weapons / offensive line on the issue? That's why I said his play speaks for itself.

- If not for Marty the game is tied and who knows what the outcome is
    - Tough to really defend his performance against the Bears, but he helped get us back in the game, we couldn't play defense either.
    - Lions game again didn't play all that well, but we gave up a pretty big drive to the Lions capping with a fucking Eric Ebron TD - I think his only TD of the yr?

Chargers game and Bills game, not excusable not at all - to think I am actually supporting Geno Smith. I don't feel good about that one.

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

GB was actually a pretty good for him. If not for the Sheldon Richardson TO taking away the TD and the furious GB comeback we would have beat GB at Lambeau field. The interception might have been caught at the 3 but it was somewhere around the 30-35 yard range. A picks a pick but there are ones which suck more than others (SB INT) and it wasn't the reason we lost the game anyway. We were up 2 TD's.

CHI/DET - Cant argue he played a huge part
    SD - 31-0 nobody came to play at all, pathetic.
    The Bills game is what made me jump on board with #SuckForTheDuck

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If Geno was winning right now, he'd be getting more poon than Derek Jeter and getting the cover of GQ. But he's losing, and so he gets the opposite. It's the same for any athlete in a large market. Some like Namath and LT, thrive under it, and others don't. Geno seems pretty thick skinned to me. Just a little thick.

19. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Guess we're missing the playoffs again.

legler82 likes this.
  20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Please don't put most Jets fans in the same category as the Fire Idzik morons.

#80 pclfan, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015