Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You're right - I don't see many instinctive plays either. Not making excuses for him but from the replays I've seen, he seems to e completely out of position as an ILB, and that could be why there seems to be a delayed reaction to his instinctive ability? IDK, but when Leo Williams made it a point about the D needing some minor tweeking, hope he's right. It looked pretty bad out there.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sharon Lee got demolished on that Patterson run. Gonna have to wipe off the tears and the cleat marks

3. BrowningNagle

the last time Sharon Lee got his sorry ass kicked that badly he was leaving that bar in Columbus

legler82 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

And again!! Tossed like a rag doll on the Richard TD

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He's officially a bust right? Like no longer up for debate.

Seems bad in every facet of the game

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm starting to lean towards the lee sucks team, I was already down on Davis, and I'm willing to give Lee a couple more games, but it's the same mistakes with him.

I watched the Niners game from last year and Lee looked the same this year through 2 games, it was like watching a carbon copy of him being out of position.

westiedog1 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

we have the worst inside linebackers in football, they get swallowed up so easily. Completely non-existent

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

AFAIC, we have the worse head coach in the NFL with after today's performance. It doesn't matter what players you put on the field if you haven't clue as to how to prepare them for a Sunday NFL game...this defense, supposedly the strength of the team, is more pathetic than their offense....and that's very hard to fathom.

Bowles has to be held accountable because he is the one picking and choosing the players that are kept or cut. He is responsible for Sheldon Richardson leaving, the one player they could not afford to give away - and for a 2nd level WR no less.

And to top it off , with them having no chance to win this game, in the 4th quarter down by 42-13, he has Petty sitting on the bench when even Dan Fouts made note to mention that it would be an important move to send him in to get some reps.

Pathetic....

#128 BomberJet, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    94Abraham likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

"Raiders Run Up 400 yards of Offense and 45 points in Victory over Hapless Jets"
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=400951669

Sharon Lee sees it differently...

"It was borderline embarrassing. But in the postgame locker room, few Jets defenders hung their heads. To most, they felt they took a step forward, not back, in the ugly defeat.

'We're that close,' linebacker Darron Lee told NJ Advance Media by his locker. 'That's what everyone is excited about.'"
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/09/darron_lee_says_jets_d_close_to_turning_things_aft.html

10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Close to what? The number one pick?

11. Getting their idiotic head coach playing them in god awful situations fired..or themselves released from this shit show..which ever comes first

Red Menace and Zach like this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Remember, people?

What do good head coaches do?

"THEY PUT THE PLAYERS IN POSITIONS TO SUCCEED."

Maybe Lee is a bust. What's obvious is, Lee is not in a position to succeed. Whose fault is it?

Unless Mac drafted Lee against Todd Bowles' opposition [which I doubt] it's Bowles' fault.

13. BrowningNagle

I don't think there is a position in which Lee would succeed.

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

They should play 4-3 and put him as an outside backer. Having him in the middle just exposes him to guards demolishing him one on one. His only strength is sideline to sideline speed.

15. He does fit as a 4-3 will in an under scheme.Out in space where he can use that sideline to sideline speed & closing ability while limiting his need to shed blocks. Further he's better suited for a zone pass defense where everything is kept in front of him & he's asked to drop rather than mirror.

Instead he's put in a phone booth facing guards w literally zero protection up front given its 3 DL 1 gapping & asked to mirror in pass coverage.

Bowles the defensive genius

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Further proof that Bowles is clueless. The Patriots made their money in the early to mid 2000s with that zone blitzing 3-4 defense.

As he acquired players with a skillset for a different defense, what did he do? He moved into a more multiple defense that featured 4-3 looks that would highlight their better players (like when they had Chandler Jones and had him put his hand in the dirt).

Good coaches adjust their scheme to their players. Not the other way around.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Meh, Jets should've been playing 4-3 for years now. I didn't mind the Lee selection as that's what I thought the Jets would go for.

The kid is so green in terms of playing linebacker, this isn't a good role for him. He'll bust on the Jets if they don't change the scheme

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

My only question at this point is, "WHEN does the CS switch Sharron Lee to OLB?"

The experiment of Darron Lee playing Inside Linebacker is very clearly OVER with. He simply cannot handle the physical duties that the job entails. he gets annihilated by lead guards and cannot ever get his head around to look for the football in pass coverage. He's simply miscast as I've ever seen in a 3-4.

Now, I don't believe Minnie Mouse is big enough to play on the outside either? I think it is painfully evident now that Sharron is just a poor fit for Linebacker? However, it remains to be seen if an NFL team can find a place for him? My feeling is he should be playing Safety, but God only knows when stubborn teams like the NYJ ever realize their mistakes and try to finally correct them?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Shaq Thompson is of similar build and he has done a good job playing OLB for the panthers.

He does benefits from having Luke Kuchley as his MLB but he still takes care of his responsibilities like he should.

If Bruce Carter were healthy, I would use him as the MLB instead of Demario, and leave Jenkins at strong side and tryout Lee at weakside LB.

#139 Red Menace, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

That's as good of an approach as any? I'm all for it, since it's quite clear he cannot play inside.

However, I see various factors contributing to the problem as of this moment:

1) The 2016 draft overall is NOT a very good draft? It seems to me that there aren't many players from that draft that are turning out to be huge difference makers.

2) BPA is NOT always the BPA for your team? When Mac selected him he was considered good value. But that's only for the draft in general. Lee is a very specific player that is not meant to play in a 3-4. Despite what his draft profile states he is NOT versatile at all.

3) Regardless, of whatever defensive style he plays he still MUST gain weight. His weight stated during the draft process last year is fluffed up, exaggerated nonsense. He was listed at 232 and I'm sorry but just looking at the guy you can tell that's crap. Later on in his rookie season it came out that he was actually closer to 215. Can you believe that? a 215 pound little twerp trying to play ILB in a 3-4 base defense?

I don't know why he hasn't been able to put on weight, but it's obvious the Jets training staff should've been working with him all along? Why they haven't is a serious mistake as far as I can tell. This guy gets ANNIHILATED when an OL engages him.

4) POOR coaching. Apparently, as much as every fan wanted to sing Toilets praises when he got hired for placing guys in a position to succeed? He's NOT that guy. Every fan was pissed at Rex for using Pryor at FS. Well? Now we have a HC that utilizes players out of position a lot more than Rex ever did? Sheldon at OLB? Lee at ILB? Jamal Adams playing large portions of the game at linebacker in the opener?