Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The bold is true. I wanted Laquon Treadwell, shows how much I know. Not saying Lee is a bust; in general, if I'm going to strike out on a 1st round pick, I rather do so at a premium position.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Documentation of said deal? I've read numerous articles that stated that Mac tried to trade up but never was able to come to an agreement with any of the teams he spoke with. Not one ever said that there was a deal on the table and Mac backed out. If it's true, then he deserves a ton of criticism for backing out, but until I see documentation, it's you making shit up.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets should've waited for Deion Jones instead of Lee in hindsight. Dan Quinn and the Falcons got the better player. It was the right move to target a linebacker in that draft.

Sucks we couldn't get a lineman that draft.

jetfan59 likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I will go against the trend here and say that I'm looking forward to seeing how Greene is going to help fine tune Lee.

I'm not one to give up on Jets players until I have seen them in meaningful regular season games.

This is his second year in the league and I'm hoping to see some growth as the season moves along.

NCJetsfan and JetFanInPA like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The title of this thread made me laugh. No doubt he needs to be better and if he continues to struggle in coverage, the pick will be a huge disappointment because that's really what we're looking for...

Don't forget he was a redshirt sophomore coming out of school so it was a bit of a surprise he was able to play as much as he did last year. Not a good look against Evan Engram last week (who is about as fast a TE as you'll see), but let's not throw the bust label on him. It was a surprise pick to me too, but he was widely considered a potential top 10 pick, so it wasn't a reach like Mac's next choice in that draft.

This is a rebuilding year. Let's see how does in year two. If he makes progress, great. If he's still disappointing or mediocre after this season, then he'll need to face more competition to start next season. The tools are certainly there for him to be an impact player.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wait to see how he performs this season. He was usually always around the ball last season but he struggled locating the football and when he did locate it his approach towards making a play on it wasn't always the greatest. I think, theoretically, he should be improving this season with the game hopefully slowing down for him, and being in the same system.

All Gas No Shake and Red Menace like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Lee might have grandchildren before the jets play another meaningful game

8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Many reported through the media that there was a deal on the table, it was done and there for the taking if Mac had wanted it? The same report said Mac decided not to go through with it because he thought a 1st, 2nd, and 4th was too much? Mac wanted to consummate the deal for a 1st, 3rd, and 4th. In other words, he wanted to keep the 2nd rounder because he was so smitten with Christian Hackenberg.

Darron Lee was merely a byproduct of Mac refusing to make the trade. Darron Lee wasn't even Mac's first choice. Mac had his eye on an OL going into the draft. He was hoping that Jack Conklin could possibly slip to 20? But he had speculated and inquired with many teams prior to the draft about trading up. The deal was there for the taking, he just had to have Hackenberg.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I believe that it was a lot as well.

1st, 2nd and 4th for an OL he better be a HOF player from day one for that type of transaction.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. FJF

That's right, a 1,2&4 for a guy who just had a video leaked of him smoking out of a gas mask is a bit of a risk

blackssmagic, ajax, NCJetsfan and 5 others like this.
  11. Mainejet

Oh god, Mac and Toilet openly BRAGGED about Lee? They talked about his very unique speed and versatility. They said he'd play both inside AND outside. They talked how he'd be covering TE's straight up?

Just about every Jets fan that I know, ATE that sh*t up. They immediately talked him up and how he was such a stud?

But MOST that stayed educated about the 1st round players and what they were capable of called Lee a prototypical 4-3 player, NOT a 3-4. In fact, I don't recall seeing a single mock draft that had Lee going to the Jets? All of your run of the mill draftniks like Mayock and Kiper had Lee going to a 4-3 team. They knew it was a bad fit. Look at his scouting report:

Darron Lee is the best linebacker in the 2016 draft class without a knee issue. As it stands, he’s a legitimate top-20 prospect and one of the best playmakers in the defensive class. A former quarterback in high school, Lee is still putting weight on his 21-year-old frame and is a top upside player.

A three-down player who jumped off the screen on a loaded Ohio State defense, Lee has speed-rushing moves and can get into the backfield with first-step speed and violent hands. He plays with a mean streak and goes after the ball with a nonstop motor. A quick, twitchy player coming downhill, Lee is fast to diagnose and has the athleticism to go get the ball on inside and outside runs.

A true sideline-to-sideline player, Lee has the skill set to play in the slot covering up receivers or tight ends, and from that same alignment he can be a deadly blitzer. NFL teams will also experiment with him as an inside linebacker in 3-4 schemes, at any of the three linebacker spots in a 4-3 and even as a situational pass-rusher.

Lee will only be limited by the imagination of his NFL defensive coordinator. He’s the type of athlete and player to erase one of the offense’s best players.

NEGATIVES

A smaller linebacker, Lee was listed at 218 pounds just one year ago. He’s worked to add size and strength, but he must continue to get bigger and stronger into his career. With just two years of experience at Ohio State, others will be concerned that his production was a result of the talent around him.

Lee was a freelancer for the Buckeyes and must be reined in and taught to play assignment football. He was free to roam and make plays for the last two seasons, so it will be an adjustment for him. With this, Lee must eliminate the times where he overruns the ball and relies on speed and change-of-direction ability to save him.

The negatives in his scouting report is what is most telling? He was 218 pounds just one year ago and he played at 215 his rookie season. They talk about him gaining weight so he can be more effective, but he hasn't gained any weight. On draft night he was touted as being 232 pounds and that's a crock of sh*t. All you have to do is look at him next to David Harris to know that's false.

As it turns out, he WAS merely a product of talent around him on a stacked OSU team.

They he needs to be taught to play assignment football? Well, how's he doing with ASSIGNMENT FOOTBALL??????

12. Truthfully I thought Tunsil was overrated anyway.He'll be serviceable no doubt but I never thought he was stout at the point of attack & had a tendency to not finish blocks.

Whenever a highly regarded OT prospect starts off at guard it is rarely if ever a good sign.If he sticks at guard & performs thats one thing.If he's at guard cause he can't hang w elite edge rushers..that's another

No doubt the jets would've been better off w him than lee..but perhaps not at the presumed compensation package we would've surrendered

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

After 40 yards

blackssmagic and Red Menace like this.
  14. Mainejet

You guys are nuts. If we had Tunsil right now instead of Lee, Hack, and Burris we would be a MUCH better team.

15. FJF

Maybe, but I am able to separate revisionist history and look at the situation objectively along the timeline that it was happening on.
    Wouldn't have them and still wouldn't now give up a first second and fourth for tunsil. That is seperate from the results of the picks in question

16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I actually heard that Mac was targeting Keanu Neal before the Falcons scooped him up.

17. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

In fairness let's not put Tunsil in the HOF yet. He wasn't even playing on the outside as a rookie.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Bruce Carter is pretty good in coverage but he likely will not see the field.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Carter is the best ILB we have imo, but that's still not saying much.
    Our ILB's really suck...

20. Mainejet

How about YOU deserve a ton of criticism for questioning something you could have found by doing a simple google search?

Jets tried to make trade with Giants to draft Laremy Tunsil
    GARY MYERS MAY 5, 2016 10:51 PM

The Jets tried to play Let’s Make A Deal with the Giants last week to get the bong-smoking, stepfather-punching, impermissible-gift taking offensive tackle from Ole Miss.

It was the 10th pick in the first round, the Giants were on the clock, their two top targets just went to teams trading up ahead of them and they had decided the gas mask/bong video that went viral on Twitter just 13 minutes before the draft was the final negative on Laremy Tunsil’s resume that made him undraftable.

The next man up was Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple. He was the top-rated player left on the Giants’ board. He played a position of need.

JETS TRIED TO TRADE UP FOR LAREMY TUNSIL IN NFL DRAFT

Then the phone rang in the Giants draft room in East Rutherford. It rings all the time. This, however, was different. The caller ID was from the 973 area code. The Giants were not ordering dinner from Joe’s Pizza down a few exits on the Jersey Turnpike. The 973 is Woody Johnson country in Florham Park.

They were offering a trade.

There have been slightly more than 50 players who have played for the Giants and the Jets – Don Maynard, Pepper Johnson, Leonard Marshall, Jumbo Elliott and now Snacks Harrison among them, along with one head coach nicknamed after a can of fish — but historians and Google research failed to uncover even one trade the teams have made with each other.

JERRY REESE WAS RIGHT TO PASS ON TUNSIL

Even the Mets and Yankees have made trades.

The Jets loved Tunsil despite the cloud of smoke and the gas mask and now that he was spiraling through the top 10, they aggressively pursued him. They were trying to jump the board all the way from their spot at No. 20. That was the problem, even more of a road block than when Jets GM Mike Maccagnan tried to get all the way to No. 1 to draft Cal QB Jared Goff.

Would the Jets offer enough to entice the Giants to move back 10 spots? Even if it helped them, did they even want to help the Jets?

Photos: 2016 NFL Draft: Ezekiel Elliott and the wildest fashion statements

The Jets were too far back. The Giants didn’t want to risk another team picking Apple between No. 11 and No. 19 and the Jets were not offering enough goodies for the Giants to consider drafting another player at No 20.

Is it a surprise the Giants and Jets could not find a middle ground and make the trade? Not at all. There’s just too much of a history of disagreeing.

Remember, they fought over the design of MetLife Stadium, which they own 50-50, they fought over who would host the first regular season game at MetLife Stadium, they fought over who would get the locker room closest to the players parking lot and they have disagreed on expanding the playoffs.

According to the Jimmy Johnson draft chart that every team uses, the 10th pick is worth 1,300 points. The 20th pick is worth 850 points. For this to be an equitable trade, the Jets had to make up 450 points.

The Jets’ second round pick, No. 51 overall, was worth 390 points. Their fourth round pick, No. 118 overall, was worth 58 points. That brought the grand total to 1,298 points.

Video of Laremy Tunsil smoking a bong through a gas mask made his stock fall and the Jets wanted in.
    So, to satisfy Johnson’s chart, the Jets would have to give up their picks in the first, second and fourth rounds. The Giants would have to be willing to take the best player from a level of players below the group Apple was in.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

The Giants had already lost out on Georgia LB Leonard Floyd when the Bears traded up one spot ahead of them right after the Titans traded up two spots ahead of them to get Michigan State tackle Jack Conklin. They were both ahead of Apple on the Giants board. They didn’t want to lose Apple, too.

The Jets offered just one pick, their second rounder, to flip spots. It was easy to say no. If they had also offered their fourth, the Giants would have been tempted. The second round choice was not enough to drop 10 spots.

If the Giants had moved down to No. 20, they would have taken TCU receiver Josh Doctson, who went to Washington at No. 22, or the best corner remaining, likely Houston’s William Jackson III, taken by the Bengals at No. 24.

[​IMG]
    Giants GM Jerry Reese refused to part ways with the 10th pick, ultimately selecting Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple.IMAGE BY: FRANK FRANKLIN II/AP
    Instead of Tunsil, the Jets wound up with Ohio State LB Darron Lee in the first round and Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg in the second round. Refusing to give up their fourth round pick, which they used on North Carolina State cornerback Juston Burris, prevented them from getting Tunsil.

The word was out that the Dolphins were probably going to provide an end to Tunsil’s freefall at No. 13, so the Jets knew they had to get ahead of Miami. Obviously, they were also unable to make deals with the Bucs at No. 11 or the Saints at No. 12.

The Jets had already traded for the often-injured Denver left tackle Ryan Clady to take the place of D’Brickashaw Ferguson, who retired three weeks before the draft. Tunsil was more of a long-range solution, but in the meantime he could have competed with Breno Giacomini at right tackle, been insurance in the event Clady gets hurt again or been moved inside to compete with Brian Winters at right guard.

Tunsil was hanging by a thread on the Giants board before the video came out. Their medical reports on him caused concern, as well as the fight with his stepfather and being in the hotel room when Ole Miss teammate Robert Nkemdiche fell out the window. There was not enough time to get the details on the bong video, so they dropped him off the board.

Now if Tunsil goes on to have a Hall of Fame career, the Giants are going to be second-guessing themselves for being conservative and the Jets are going to regret not giving up more picks to move up.

The Jets and Giants clearly needed Monty Hall to close the deal.