Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's absurd to ask him to put on 25 lbs of weight lol. Cmon now.

He's being highly scruntized right now but he's getting better every week. He came off the edge a few times as a blur and made plays. He's starting to show off his speed and now being in the right place a second quicker. He lined up more so on the weak side and was Johnny on the spot. He does need to improve in coverage and that field WAS awful but I am pleased with the progression of Darron Lee.

101GangGreen101 and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He is improving on one aspect, stopping the run. His coverage skills are still atrocious and continues to be a major liability out there on passing downs. That’s what people are bitching about .

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

25 lbs is not absurd, he is a pro athlete

He needs to eat more, have a heavier weight lifting routine in the off-season as well as incorporate agility work so as not to lose his #1 asset. With all the supplements that are supplied to them by the team, putting on that much weight to get him to the 250-255 weight range is not absurd.

For you or me, putting on 25 lbs in a year may be out of the question but these guys are genetic freaks. He doesn't have a job in the off-season, all he needs to do is work out and get better at his OLB job.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's not great in coverage, but he's getting better at it. I mentioned it before, but I think Lee is still a year away from actually breaking out. He's very green in terms of playing the LB position.

Mogriffjr and JetFanInPA like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just SMH at the pass Lee gets from posters here...hmmm let's see how much was his contract as a # 1 pick

Prob more than anyone's life savings!!!

We live in a country with the highest standard of living and millions of great places to eat and poor Sharon is asked to GAIN weight.and lift weights?????..uh wait

ISNT THIS PART OF YOUR JOB TO CONTRIBUTE IN AWAY TO WINNING???????? IN SHORT HIS ATTITUDE SUXS

Some people will homer for this dude 3 or 5 more years for "improvement"

Terrible first round pick...borderline bust..look at his play overall...he's a fourth rounder getting big money...pew

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Agreed. I keep going back to him being a rSO and (unexpectedly) playing so much as a rookie last year. Lately we've been seeing some good progress from him. Let's see how he does as the season progresses. Not like this team is going anywhere anyway

7. 101GangGreen101

25 pounds is FAR too much. He simply needs to get better with his technique. Yes, Lee does need to get stronger, but 25 pounds is far too much.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Can you explain to me how he is getting better at it? He gets burned every single week.

Yesterday Miami absolutely torched him twice on the final tying touchdown drive. They had a 3rd and 10 at midfield and they moved Landry inside because they knew in a key moment like that they could count on burning Lee in coverage. It was a simple, easy slant and Lee's burned... not by speed or quickness but by lack of awareness. Then on the tying touchdown Lee had zone middle and they run a reciever right behind him for the touchdown.

On both plays, Lee takes a stupid step in the opposite direction for no reason. What good is that speed if you have terrible instincts?

ajax, 94Abraham and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I thought Lee looked great yesterday. Possibly the best game of his career and I liked what I saw. The Cutler hit was bullshit and it should have counted as a sack.

blackssmagic and Mogriffjr like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You know if a kid shits his pants every day, and then "improves" to shitting them every other day, is that acceptable?

Here's the thing...maybe he has great physical skills, but what he's shown is an absolute lack of feel for playing football. Some guys are like that - you can find them in all sports. Coaches drool at the raw athletic ability and their own ego tells them they can "coach him up", but that's just not true in most cases when someone lacks the instincts. Likewise there are athletes who don't have the greatest physical skills but their instincts are sky high - given me those guys every time.

The best case scenario for Lee is to get him to improve enough so they might be able to unload him and get something for him, because he's never going to be better than average at best, and that's a lot of money to be paying for that production. In the meantime, when he misses coverage or blows an assignment he out to be yanked for a series or two, at least, until he either gets it, or gets gone.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

and that's the thing. If the best game of his career still involves him getting burned and losing the game then maybe we should raise our standards a little.

94Abraham and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

You can't teach instinct. What a coach can do is put him in best position to be successful and if take him out on obvious downs where his skills will be a negative. It's up to Toilet to have the safety's direct him on where to line up based on what they see and if he can't handle that get him off the field. What has Toilet done for him in this regard? Has either safety been asked if they're told to be the QB on D and put him in position?

13. 101GangGreen101

In terms of run defense he's improving in terms of hitting gaps. In coverage, he's made a few plays but has been burned on several occasions. The Jags game, in a crucial moment stopped Mercedes Lewis on a big drive. Not many linebackers are good in coverage, I don't think he's good yet, still a year away, but he's improving. He's still very new to the position. That has to play a role in terms of his awareness.

I found him to be far worse last year. This year he's making plays, not nearly enough to cover the negatives.

14. 101GangGreen101

As I mentioned before, Lee is very new to this kind of linebacker role. It's going to take him a while for the light to fully come on.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Couple of points...

1 If a kid goes from shitting their pants everyday to once every two days, that is an improvement and something else to work on, you aim for 1 every 3 days and so on, the fact they have improved once indicates that they will improve again.

2 This lack of feel to play football, did he pack it in a suitcase after he went pro ? He obviously must have had a good feel for it in college, I mean his stats suggest that he was a more than capable player, in fact the only downside to him in the draft report was his size, not that he couldn't play ball, wonder where his instincts have gone.

16. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This
    This. There's no denying he is improving, however he's still horrendous in pass coverage and that's the main reason he was drafted - to cover TE's among others. He's still not only putrid at it, he hasn't improved one bit either.

17. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Being forced to cover Landry on that 3rd down felt like he was being set up for failure. Whatever defensive call resulted in that was either a total mind fart, or very well exploited by Miami. Given how many of those 3rd down defensive failures had ridiculous coverage schemes, I'm leaning towards the former.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

1. The thing is, can we live with the smell until he stops shitting his pants EVERY DAY, which should be a minimum threshold for a 1st round pick.
    2. I think in college he was allowed to play however he wanted to and didn't need to learn any techniques or schemes. It's something that should've been factored in when deciding to take him with Macc's 1st pick.

K'OB likes this.
  19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The bottom line with Lee is that he's simply not cutting it. Although his performance was better against the Dolphins it was still way below the expectation for the 20th overall pick. He was drafted to be a pass coverage guy and he is so bad, I think the Jets would be better off with an UDFA in that scenario.

The PFF ratings from last season simply does not lie. Opposing QB's have a 132.9 passer rating when passing to Lee's assignment. And quite frankly, it's easy to see why? He DOES NOT and I repeat, he DOES NOT ever turn his head to look for the football. I have never seen it once since he was drafted. If anyone can show me an instance where he did, PLEASE post it? Because I have yet to see even ONCE.

And the other thing that's being forgotten about this, is the improvement in the DL play? One of the big reasons Lee has been so improved recently in the run game is because the DL is starting to show up. It means Lee remains unblocked and he can fly to the ball.

But what happens when he gets hit by a lead Guard? What happens when he's forced to EARN his money by shedding blocks and getting to the runner? Because you can't always count on everyone else doing their job and making things that much easier for Minnie..........

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you not get fucking bored typing the same stuff everyday ?

At first I thought that the latest one was a copy and paste job from something you typed out the other day but unfortunately it wasn't, you need to do yourself a favour and stop logging in to this thread before you make yourself ill.

FJF likes this.