Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

If the Jets were going to pick a player like Lee, they should have picked Deion Jones from LSU.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Yannick Ngakoue would have been nice. I mocked him to us in the 1st at the very beginning. He fell to the 3rd but he has been a straight stud.

Take a risk on a potential freak OLB or draft a 212 lb 3-4 ILB?

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles is the one who is not asking Rodgers to make adjustments to his defensive scheme, we as fans don't want him to be humiliated on the field and that's why some of us have made the comments of switching to a 4-3, this way Lee can get after the QB from the Weakside position.

He will be a bust and possibly get seriously injured if he continues to get crushed by offensive linemen, and it's not just this year, he's been making the same mistakes since last year.

I don't want the Jets to get rid of him, and I want to see him develope, but let's be honest, it's not getting better for him.

According to Blowes, it's just a matter of fixing technique and the defensive line problems are going to go away.

Let's see what happens this Sunday

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

LB Myles Jack (#36 overall) appears to be at full strength now and has been accumulating tackles like crazy for the Jaguars. He was considered a top 5 talent.

TE Hunter Henry (#35) is now a good quality starter for the Chargers.

OLB Emmanuel Ogbah (#32 overall) had 53 tackles and 5.5 sacks on a bad Browns defense.

G Joshua Garnett (#29 overall) started 11 games for the 9ers although he's now on IR.

RB Derrick Henry (#45 overall) looks like he can be a bonafide starter in this league.

WR Michael Thomas (#47) is the Saints #1 receiver.

OLB/DE Noah Spence (#39 overall) had 5.5 sacks his rookie year and already has a sack this season.

There was talent to be had, even if it wasn't immediately after our selection. I'm still convinced Laquon Treadwell will end up being a good receiver in this league. Mike Zimmer rarely plays young players, highly drafted or not and he's got two good receivers in front of him.

If we didn't take Treadwell I really wanted Noah Spence. Dude is going to be a bonafide pass rusher in this league and fell due to off the field concerns because he got caught taking Molly as a freshmen. The Lee pick really shocked me. I didn't even think he was on our radar.

legler82 likes this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I liked Spence as well. Like you said, a lot of options rather than Sharon Lee. If you gave me 5 guesses to determine who we would take I would not have even thought of Sharon Lee. Should not have even been on the board for a 3-4 team.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'd say every one of them is in a better position to succeed then lee except maybe fuller

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Far be it from me to sing Lee's praises, but I must say he looked a quantum leap better than in the Dolphins game. Lee was basically a non factor whereas he was a huge liability in every game prior to last Sunday.

I haven't had the chance to watch the game again and isolate where/what Lee was doing in the game.

So can someone please tell me, "WHAT did Toilet and KR do with Lee and Davis?". Now I know the DL played much better and that essentially protected the linebackers and kept them block free to run and make plays, but the DL is not the only reason? There had to be more to it.

All I can say is, while Lee still looks like a far below average player based on where he was taken. Davis looked day and night better than at any time before Sunday.

legler82 likes this.
  8. Red Menace

They used a 4-3 scheme

9. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I just watched the Dolphin game again. I didn't see the Jets line up in a 4-3 alignment once? What I saw that was very different from their first two games was much better play on the part of the DL. They dominated the LOS all day long. That made things much easier for the linebackers. Demario Davis wasn't fighting off blocks on every play. He was free to shoot gaps all day long. He kept his gap integrity the whole game and had much better play recognition. I saw Sharron remained completely lost? He has no idea what he's looking at on a play by play basis. So they moved Jamal Adams up on the LOS to cover for Lee and add an eighth man to the box to help stop Ajayi.

So the ultimate wrinkle in that game that was different from all the past besides the DL playing better than they had since the 2016 opener, was Jamal Adams essentially playing like a linebacker and doing so well? He was excellent in run defense, pressured the QB a lot and may have had a sack? He was all over the field and even had an excellent pass break up. But the defense overall played with 3 down linemen.

legler82 likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jets played nickel damn near the whole game mixing up between a 3-3-5 and a 2-4-5 of sorts. Adams got time in the box as a LB. Davis played all snaps and Lee played most the LB snaps but played inside and outside as well. Any other LB that played was as a pass rushing LB off the edges.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

pretty sure the Jets ran 4 man nickel with Adams playing in the box. This looks to be a 4-2-5. Jets mixed it up for sure, but I remember seeing 4 down lineman on a few plays.

[​IMG]

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

I was trying to post same picture, I know they had 4 down linemen throughout the game. 4-3 does not make it exclusive to 3 LB and I should have done a better job of explaining the formation.

I just know that guys on this board are intelligent enough to see what's taking place on field and seeing the different nuances of a 3-4 and 4-3 setup with different personnel being used.

#192 Red Menace, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually I'll freely admit to not being that savvy, aside from the fact that I didn't see the game, but appreciate you guys breaking it down. Thanks!

14. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as really think that there is a difference in the 3-4 to a 4-3. As it is about working and learning the system. Some work and some do not.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

When we picked I wanted Treadwell.

legler82 likes this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Played his best game today. Hi haters.

Walt White likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He got toasted again today. Fournette easily caught a pass in the flat and ran in for a score. Lee was nowhere near him. He's either M.I.A or late hitting someone. Bowles should bench him for a game.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He made several nice plays and played well.. That TD was about play design, not coverage. Lee played well and may be starting to join in the fun with Adams, Maye & Co.. Sorry for the bad news Booz.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

No. He's a bust and there is nothing he can do to change boozer's mind.

Say, 10 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 fumbles [1 returned for TD] and 1 INT in a single game isn't quite good enough.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he doesn't cover people like Lem Barney and Willie Brown from back in the day in the NFL, when men were men and sheep were scared.

HomeoftheJets likes this.