Why can’t the Jets try to win a Super Bowl in the next 2 years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

2. ColoradoContrails

AMEN!!!

3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

the Jets "try" to win the SB every year - they just don't succeed

Brook! likes this.
  4. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

You give examples of probably 2 of the top 5 defenses of all time to state your case. I am talking about recent history. The Seahawks should have won 2 Superbowls(if it was not for Wilsons pick). The Giants won 2 Superbowls with top defenses(albeit they had Eli). Philly's defense carried them up until the Superbowl.

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

5. ColoradoContrails

Look, the problem is that the Jets have focused on trying to build an "impregnable D" for years, and have all but ignored the offense. Perhaps if they hadn't been so "D"-blind and replaced the offensive talent around Sanchez they might've gotten it done, but it's like Woody and the FO can't understand that it's offense that wins in the end. Every case you mentioned was won or lost by an above-average QB/Offense or the lack of it. The '09 (and ('10) Jets are simply more proof of that.

If you can't see that, I guess we can agree to disagree.

Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I agree with you but the only way your theory works is if the GM starts drafting better. If you draft crap like we have for many years you have a crap foundation like the Jets had up until 2015. Now, supposedly, Mac is making things better. Well, honestly I'm not so sure of that. There's nothing about his 3 drafts that have me clamoring for Mac as our savior. I doubt anyone thinks that either.

So IMO we must land a decent GM or else none of your theory will actually work. I do think that Mac deserves another year, but it's time for him to start to impress others why he's so highly thought of.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How can he be making it better when in his mind there is no such thing as offense? He has gone from 10-6 to 5-11 and 5-11. That doesn't sound better to me and sure maybe he will luck out and have a winning team years down the road but that doesn't mean he made that happen.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Right now Jeff Lurie is the King and he's out there trying to improve the Eagles every year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why can’t they in 1 year? Because the drafts for 3 and 2 years ago aren’t nearing enough fruit, leaving the roster too thin and too much turnover for units to jell.
    In 2 years? They can if they hit the right draft picks and sign the right free agents. It’s there for the taking. Almost everything you need is available this year to set the future up both short and long term. It’s up to Mac now

Brook! and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  10. FJF

The way they drafted defense, the offense is probably better off being ignored.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Robert Kraft? The best owner quote, unquote. He don't do shit but let Belichick run the team.

See what I am saying?

playtowinthegame likes this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The most Jets thing to do from here would be to sign Cousins to a blockbuster contract and then give him a WR corps of Stephen Hill, Chad Schilens, Greg Salas and, jumbo TE, Vlad Ducasse.

13. ColoradoContrails

You have a point there. Unfortunately, the rules require that they field an offense. The Jets meet that requirement at the bare minimum.

14. ColoradoContrails

And that's great...IF you hire someone who actually knows how to build a winner. Kraft knew enough to hire BB. Woody knows nothing and doesn't hire anyone to help him learn.

15. FJF

Let’s not pretend kraft wasn’t going to fire bill before mo Lewis did them a favor

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

It's true that luck plays a role in almost every great story, but still Kraft did see something in BB that he was willing to pay the price to get him. And given that price I'm not so sure Kraft was ready to fire him.

17. 101GangGreen101

Woody has hurt the team at times, but he's no Dolan. Woody ain't even here anyway it's Chris Johnson that has the say right now. This year will be interesting to see.

18. ColoradoContrails

I'm not saying he's a Dolan, but he's done enough damage. And it remains to be seen if Woody has really let go entirely of the strings, or even if he has, is Chris really much different/better? As far as I'm concerned this team is still run by amateurs who really don't know what they're doing, and I include the GM and HC in that. If they did, their record would be much better than it is. Parcells was dead on when he said "You are what your record says you are". This bunch are losers.

JethroTull likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

I look at Woody and he has made his mistakes, but not recently. The last one was Idzik / Rex. Before that was Tebow. The Browns are a team run by amateurs, the Colts are being ran by amateurs (and a drunk). In comparison to those franchises, I like where we are. I am glad Chris Johnson didn't listen to the majority of the knee jerk fans in terms of firing everyone. This regime has an opportunity to create huge change this off-season. I am on wait and see approach. Parcells, great example but at the end of the day could've given us Peyton and failed.

We don't know what Chris will do, but all indications are he isn't his brother personality wise. We shall see. Maybe his approach will be different.

FJF likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Has Chris Johnson ever given a press conference? Maybe he has and I just missed it....? Basically, has anyone ever heard him speak