Why Big Mac is a mad genius

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 27, 2018.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets traded for Kearse because they were tanking? Do you think they thought he sucked?

They were getting a player in return for a guy with legal issues. They were trying to change the culture.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

One of my favorite little examples of this actually came up last night.

At the very end of his post-draft press conference, Mac mentioned that, despite erroneous reports, the Jets did actually have a private workout with Darnold when Cimini (and others) claimed they didn't (criticizing them, in the process)

Walt White likes this.
  3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, watching that presser started to make me think that Mac is so much sharper than his canned responses and appearance projects.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't think that trade was about acquiring Kearse. It was more about getting rid of Richardson and getting something of equal or close to equal value in return.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Of course he said that. And MAYBE he's telling the truth. Rosen was the 3rd QB that many think will be as good as Darnold/Mayfield (just as many think he won't). Just based on how much Macc gave up to move up, tells me Macc was possessed by what he thought would be a FQB. It's hard to think ANYONE would firmly believe there would be THREE FQBs in one draft. Maybe one, at most two. So I think Macc had an escape plan in case BOTH his FQBs were gone. If you're waiting for him to tell you this, you'll be waiting for while.

6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

what a bunch of nonsense. After the 1st round ALL of his picks are garbage. Not a single one of these turds are immediate impact players. So the Jets, therefore, will have no rookie impact. So just like the 2016 draft, the Jets will be NO better than 5-11.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. slimjasi

I think it's very obvious that the Jets liked Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen (probably in that order) and would have been happy drafting any of the three.

I believe that is what Mac was referring to and why the trade made so much sense from their perspective and was such a no brainer.

8. slimjasi

Can you read my palms next?

Attackett and Jets69 like this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

3rd round and later picks aren't usually immediate impact players, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Funny how you already know how all of the picks will work out prior to a single snap in the NFL.

Attackett, CotcheryFan, Noam and 3 others like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you squared that away. Macc ain't that smart and both GM's ahead of him are way better. It was always the 4 QB and even if Darnold went #1 or #2 he would have said he was happy whatever scraps was there at 3. Then the same posters here and pundits would be gushing that Macc got Rosen or Mayfield. There was no strategy, we needed a QB.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. slimjasi

All I pointed out was the obvious reality that the Jets liked three QBs. As has now been widely reported, they liked Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen to varying degrees. Do you have an actual reason for believing that the Jets didn't like 3 QBs?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We will never know, but if this is indeed what happened, it truly is genius! :)

CotcheryFan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  13. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

Praise be unto you, O caffeinated one

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Let’s be fair, Marcus is a good pick, apart from that, guys still need to develope.

This year will be the determining factor from an NFL timeline. The young guys need to produce this year, period. Mac has put together a team that has been below average but that is also due to not having a FQB or even a tier 2 QB.

I was a Mac supporter but seeing the lack of skilled offensive players with the exception of Anderson, I’m under the impression that we have a repeat of the Rex Ryan era in the making without the 2 AFCC games.

It’s all about the defense with him and Bowles. He will get another draft next year but I’m in agreement with you, it will be another 5-11 season. No one on offense to carry the team to victories.