Who Should Be The Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who should be the Jets Opening Day Starter?

1. McCown

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Hackenberg

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Petty

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The last 3 teams mccown was on picked number 1. Why do you think he could get us out of the top 5? Serious question.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Just because Hack looks worse than him. Believe me. If we start Hack, we will hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

1) We will secure a Top 3 pick.
    2) We will see what we have in Hack and won't waste any more years on him.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not the highest on my list definitely, I don't mind it as long as the QB is smart, is making the right decisions and not scrambling to scramble. I just want the QBs to have some of the fundamentals down before the draft, and that's whats going on with Josh Allen right now as they are getting him acclimated to being a pro style QB. Allen and Fitzgerald are 2 strong armed QBs that have great size and seem to be good decision makers. Both need to see the field much better especially Allen and continue to improve as a passer, but their upsides are really good. Allen is just amazing though, throwing on the run and making a throw 50 yards down the field with accuracy is just insane.

Fitzgerald specifically is a QB I wouldn't normally be interested in due to the spread, but this guy has some game to him, I love his Arkansas tape. Darnold has to improve that release, it's Jay Cutler-esque.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They HAVE to. Jets on D at best lack corner depth, and linebackers. Get that shit late in the draft and in FA.

5. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter who starts at qb. The jets offense will be a shit show. The defense will be a disappointment as well. Hack isn't going to be a starter. Ever. Bryce petty is on the level of a Glen Foley. Ok that's a lie, Foley was better. Mcgown is going to be the starter, and the o line may end his career.

Really, this entire organization is a joke. Scouting, mgmt, coaching, players. It's a shit show. I find it absurd to think tanking for a qb will fix this team. Even if they get the first pick, they'll invariably fuck it up.

This is not pessimism. This is the past bleeding into the future while leaving a smathering of poop on the present

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The O-line is atrocious. All 3 will get a chance to play. So will a couple guys from the street. Probably not Kaepernick though because of Woody. I wanted Hackenberg to start Week 1, but that Lions start was disappointing. I really don't know anymore. McCown has had 1 drive and it was the only TD the Jets have had in 2 games. You'd assume that gives him the edge. Who knows with this team?

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Petty will surprise a lot of people. We all know Jet Mgmt. has no interest in seeing Petty succeed so look for Hack to be force fed along with every imaginable excuse why things didn't go according to plan A. At some point, the Jets will be forced to cut bait with both the Million Dollar Mentor and/or Qb B whoever that is. With the Oline in shambles as usual, whoever they send in to play Qb is gonna get his ass kicked hard. They sacrificed Petty last year so don't be surprised if they do it again after McClown gets smashed at some point.

PulseJet likes this.
  8. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Blake Bortles anyone? Its looking like Jacksonville will release him next week. Worth a shot?

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wha? Is Bortles injured? Has he been playing that badly? You mean they'll go into the season with Chad Henne as their starter and Brandon Allen (whom I've never even heard of) as their 2 QBs? If so, then they're definitely tanking.

10. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Bortles is on the verge of getting RG3'd. The Jaguars picked up his 5th year option which means that they will be on the hook for 19M in 2018 if he gets hurt, and can't pass his physical in March.

If he doesn't win the starting job the organization will likely cut him and save 3.4M this year and be off the hook for 2018.

11. NCJetsfan

Wow. I understand the financial aspect, but to go with only 2 QBs, or bring someone in at the last minute who doesn't know the system is nuts. Can't say as I blame them though. This will at least give them a shot at one of the top QBs in the draft.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Picking up Bortles doesn't help us get any closer to finding our FQB. Bortles had a good 2015 season and then took massive steps back in 2016 and won't even start over Chad Henne. No thank you, let's tank with what we got.

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Media is all upset about petty and hack getting most of the reps this week. Don't know why he would do such a thing. To me it's obvious. Those 2 boys are competing for the backup spot with the winner getting games 3 second half snaps and the loser playing most if not all game 4. Seems pretty obvious to me. Josh is the starter

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I believe the same.

The consensus from the people I talked to at Jets' camp yesterday also was the same.

Although it sounds like Osweiler is on the trading block in Cleveland. I'd wait until he's cut and try to sign him.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's just a bit unconventional considering what game 3 usually is,the fact that the oc,qb and rest of the offense are playing together for the first time and how young most of the players are.
    I think if Pittsburgh,New England, giants,packers did something like this everyone would understand because those offenses are installed and established.
    Bowles is opening himself up for a lot of criticism if mccown starts and sucks(likely) by sitting him during these practices

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Why in the world would you want to sign Osweiler? He's awful. O'Brien couldn't salvage him, neither could Hue Jackson. Even if he could play, which he can't, he doesn't know our offense.

#96 NCJetsfan, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You know what bud? To those points, you're right.

My desperate thirst for something better than what we have has me irrationally thinking.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

We'll see what the week 3 preseason game brings, but it looks like Bowles might have the FO in his ear telling him to start Petty/Hack. Definitely the correct decision if you are trying to tank/develop young QB's. I wonder if Bowles was given any reassurance that wins and losses wont really factor into his evaluation.

These practice reps dont really make too much sense, unless they plan on starting Hack/Petty. Week 3 is going to be very ugly, but also exciting, and very telling.

19. NCJetsfan

I can understand the desperation. We've all felt it at times. Hang in there.

I think you said that you were at practice yesterday. How did Hack and Petty look? Any better? I find it very funny that when Hack and Petty start getting all the reps, the Star Ledger's ace (ass really) reporters suddenly stop giving any details about how the QBs looked in practice, no info on completions, TDs, interceptions, nada.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hack made some horrible throws and some incredible throws. I noticed some mechanical issues with some of the poor throws. Other poor throws were made behind the receivers, etc.

Petty looked better but he also had some bad throws (and 1 or 2 INTs).

I'd say Petty overall looked better yesterday.

I still can't get over the arm strength of Hackenberg. He threw a perfect left corner end zone pass over the left shoulder of the receiver from the 35 yard line. The throw looked effortless.

Thing with Hackenberg I've noticed is that his arm strength bails him out of his pass mis-timings. So basically he was throwing behind the receivers because he wasn't anticipating the route enough. His arm can bail him out of those poor mis-timings in some situations. If he continues to improve with accuracy and make all the throws on the field, he can start one day.

NY Jets68, PulseJet and NCJetsfan like this.