Who Should Be The Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who should be the Jets Opening Day Starter?

1. McCown

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Hackenberg

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Petty

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

So play a kid that is obviously not ready, nearly had his head taken off because he couldnt read a blitz, ruin his career and throw away all the effort from the rest of the players, just so the Jets have a shot at some unicorn QB? Sounds legit.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that we're in agreement about Petty, Hack and McCown, but your bolded sentence above is over the top, at least in terms of not being able to evaluate talent or drafting properly. IMO it would prove no such thing.

The Jets had to draft a young QB or two. Whom would have had Mac draft? Sean Mannion? Grayson Garrett? Jacoby Brisby? Cody Kessler? Paxton Lynch? He didn't have a Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr drop in his lap as Idzik did.

As I think you said in an earlier post in one thread or another, the Jets blew their chance at Mariota by beating the Titans in a meaningless game in 2014.

Woody had given Mac and Bowles a mandate to make the playoffs, and with his stupid org chart had set them at cross purposes. With a mandate to make the playoffs ASAP, you don't trade away a couple of years worth of #1 and #2 draft picks, which is what it would have taken (and probably more) to trade up to get Winston, Mariota, Goff or Wentz IF those teams were willing to trade, and I'm pretty sure that at least the Bucs and Titans said that they were not interested in trading down, and the Eagles may have as well.

Unless a HC knows when he is hired that the team will be rebuilding and going with a youth movement, and W-Ls are irrelevant for a season or two, his job is to win as many games as possible, and playing and developing young players takes a back seat. Meanwhile, the GMs job is to evaluate talent on the roster, determine who can help the team going forward, what the needs are, and then go about addressing those needs and upgrading the talent and speed on the team. As usual with the Jets, the HC and GM have no chance to succeed because of the stupidity of the owner. We all know that following Idzik's clusterfuck two years, that the Jets needed to do an immediate rebuild, but not Woody. He wouldn't allow it. Mac never had a chance to go about building the team the right way. To some extent, Bowles was not given a chance, either, because the mandate and pressure was to make the playoffs immediately or ASAP. So rather than focusing on identifying and developing the young players who could help them going forward and giving Bowles a chance to learn and grow in a pressure-free environment, he had to produce wins. I've been as guilty as anyone vilifying Bowles, but the truth is, he never had a chance here. It's also true imo that Bowles was not the right choice for a rebuild. When you know that you have to find a young QB in the draft and are rebuilding, unless you can hire a HC like former DC like Belichik who has shown that he knows how to develop a QB and team, you have to hire someone with an offensive background, and then make developing that young QB your #1 priority.

Sadly, that escapes that fucking dumbass Woody. I hope that Johnson & Johnson goes bankrupt and Woody and his brother are forced to sell this team. It's the Jets' only hope.

Where I'll agree with you is that Gailey and whomever was the QB Coach in 2015-2016 couldn't develop a QB.

#42 NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. PulseJet

I think they can win a few, they are playing the Jags, Browns, Bills and Fins (x2) I see at least 3 wins there and likely more. I dont see their OL being as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Its the same crew of young guys at the end of last year that held up OK plus Beachum.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

As far as I am concerned, his career with the Jets is over if he ain't showcasing enough progress. Same goes with Petty. At age 27, he has no room for error either. The 2nd preseason game, definitely made some bad reads, but would've been far more ahead if they let Hack practice earlier on with the 1s. Petty might've been far ahead too. Petty played well, but I'm not sweating a player playing well and not really scoring TDs against backups and camp bodies.

New QB please if Hack ain't the guy.

legler82 likes this.
  5. PulseJet

That last part was funny! I think you misconstrued my statement a bit. I am in agreement that Mac likely did the best jjob he could drafting QB's considering the circumstances. And your right, better to have an offensive coach as HC to groom a QB. But if they draft a couple of prospects, groom them, but then not play them in a rebuild year then something is obviously broken. Especially when they had their pick of Mahomes, Watson etc.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. PulseJet

One new QB coming right up!!! Havent we learned they dont grow on trees yet?

But your right, Petty played well. Didnt score points, but maybe if Leggett came down with those 2 TD passes the story would be different. Which is kind of a stupid argument on Bowles part. Petty throws a dime right into Leggetts hands from 30 yards away and 5 seconds left, but because the DB rips it out of Leggets hands, Petty didnt show Bowles anything, cause he gotta score points. What a fucking joke that guy is.

7. 101GangGreen101

Believe me, when it comes to QBs I am VERY picky. This coming draft, I REALLY like 3 of the QBs. And then there's about 2 more that can really play that hopefully they show more on the field.

Bowles is a joke right now, I mean if you are playing better then the other QBs, you should be seeing an increase in reps. That's my problem with Bowles as well. His timing is just awful in terms of giving the right players the # of reps needed. Petty played good, I wish he put up some more points and did a little more against 3rd stringers and camp bodies, but he still deserves a larger # of reps after a good performance in comparison to Hack who still was getting screwed by Bowles switching lineman in and out. We really aren't finding an answer on any of these guys.

At this point, I just want to get a new offensive coach in here that knows what he wants in a QB.

ColoradoContrails and PulseJet like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry if I misunderstood/misconstrued your intent, but I didn't know of any other way to read "In fact I think it proves to the fanbase they couldnt evaluate talent, draft properly or develop a QB. " other than an indictment of Mac since you specifically point out evaluating talent and drafting properly and that's all Mac. The only aspect of your statement that deals with the CS is "developing a QB."

I was a big surprised by that statement. I thought you basically liked and supported the job Mac has done. I just figured that the statement was coming out of frustration, and wanted to point out my thoughts in case you were blaming Mac.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

No one knows for sure what's going on behind the scenes; we're just speculating. That said I do find blaming Woody tired and over simplified. We can blame Woody for what we may think are bad hires but we can't blame him for every single decision they make in the job. Woody does not scout, draft or start players nor does he prepare and execute game plans or make in game decisions. These are grown men not children getting paid millions of dollars. I don't feel sorry for them; they should be the ones feeling sorry for enduring 30 years of this shit. They know what they signed up for. Both Mac and Bowles should have known there could be consequences in trying win immediately with vets approaching the end of their careers. We are knee deep in those consequences now. That was not the path to the "sustainable success" they preached; "competitive rebuild" was and is a con.

The way I see it Bowles will be judged by wins and/or progress, specifically at the QB position. I think he is going to try to bank as much wins as possible at least to start the season before he lets Hack's progression determine his fate.

10. PulseJet

I do like Mac and think he has done a decent job. And I lay the criticism more at Bowles. But Hack is clearly not ready, and I think Petty was better than Hack in his 2nd year. So at this point Hack was an absolute reach in the 2nd round and the curse continues.

If one of the 2017 QB's they could have drafted instead of Adams does well, that will put alot of pressure on Mac. Pressure that cant be deflected because Bowles wont play Petty!

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

That's not true. If you were paying any attention at all in 2014, and even 2013, you know that Woody was screaming about the playoffs. That was abundantly clear in 2015 that the Jets were expected to return to the playoffs ASAP. Anyone who has been paying attention also knows what a clueless doofus Woody is and how he interferes. If you choose to be delusional about Woody to give you hope and help you continue rooting for this team, that's your problem, not mine.

The Jets problems begin and end with their owner and have since Leon Hess bought the team. Until the Jets have an owner that has an understanding of the game of football or is intelligent enough to know that he doesn't know what he's doing, wants to win, and thus will go out and hire the best football people to run the team, and then stay out of their way, the Jets have zero chance of becoming successful.

Did they really know what they signed up for? How could they until they had actually worked for Woody and been in the situation? Even if they did, they have wives and families to consider and egos. I'm sure that they thought that they could be successful in spite of whatever Woody might say or do.

Woody doesn't do the things you mention, but he hired the men who do those things, and he can fire them rather than letting them continue to be incompetent and holding the team back. Further, he can hire a quality, experienced football man to run the organization and then stay the heck out of his way and let him do his job, but he won't because of his ego.

No one is saying that they shouldn't be held accountable or that they are blame free.

#51 NCJetsfan, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  12. legler82

The consensus around NFL circles is that the Jets have the worst roster in football. The 3rd year GM escape blame? And Bowles is terrible. We're fucked all around.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that I agree with this idea, but if it is a prevailing concept, then I think it presents a strong argument that Petty should get the lion's share of the snaps this season.

If McCown has no future here, and Hack is 90/10 dumpsterfire/FQB, while Petty has a future here as a backup, then we should use this year of low expectations to get him as much starting experience as possible to make him a both a better player and a better mentor for that #1 pick going forward.

Put McCown on the bench, let Petty start. Play Hack where it makes sense so we can find out whether to fish or cut bait. It won't matter if Petty's backing up Hack or Mr. XXXX next year, he'll be better, and the team will be better.

14. NCJetsfan

Excellent thought and post! Couldn't agree more.

15. legler82

I tried my best to ignore your posts but a response has become unavoidable. If at any point in Woody's tenure, we were lucky enough to draft a top tier QB that would enable us to truly have "sustainable success", fans would not be so readily to blame Woody for any and all of our misfortunes. I wonder if people were bitching about Woody in 2009-2010, when we were on the cusp of going to the SB. The guy OWNS the fucking team; HE CAN'T BE FIRED! I've come to grips with it; I think it's time the fan base does as well. Having discussions about who we should hire, fire, draft, sign, trade, release...etc. are what I choose to indulge in as they are things that possible to happen. Complaining about Woody is a waste of breath IMO. Maybe all those fans that feel Woody is the bane of the Jets existence should go hibernate until we get "the owner that has an understanding of the game of football".

FJF likes this.
  16. legler82

I would agree if we knew what we had in Hack. The ONLY thing Hack has over Petty at the moment is that 10% like you said, the unknown. He just hasn't had enough meaningful snap for anyone to cast the final judgement. I would go with Petty the second that 90% turns 100%. As long as that 10% possible FQB as you said is out there, he has to be ahead of the guys you feel you know about. This is what I think is happening in Jet land. They for certain know what McCown is and I think they feel they have a pretty idea about what Petty is. They are trying their best to close the book on Hack before moving on.

nicg4360 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You have a valid point, but the fact is that Hack doesn't look ready to play right now. Maybe that's because Bowles screwed up by changing up the OL on him, quite possible. If he plays this week with the probable starting OL and doesn't do much better then "Houston we have a problem". At that point playing him despite his unreadiness does no one any favors. Of course it's possible that with a settled OL Hack shows much better, and then maybe you go with him until he proves otherwise. I don't think this is likely though based on what he's shown so far. So then you have to go with either Petty or McCown, and I think you agree that Petty is the better choice. Unfortunately it seems that Bowles doesn't.

18. 101GangGreen101

I would say the 49ers as they are in the same predicament [3 defensive lineman selected back to back to back in the first], but they have Kyle Shanahan, probably the best play-caller in the NFL.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I for one would actually have some hope if K. Shanahan were our HC.

20. PulseJet

Last year this time the "consensus around NFL circles" was the Jets had a good shot at the playoffs. The addition of Forte with Marshall and Decker gave the Jets one of the better skill position groups.

I discount the "consensus around NFL circles".

This team is going to be better than alot think. And I think thats because Mac had some decent drafts relative to Jet GM standards.