Who Should Be The Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who should be the Jets Opening Day Starter?

1. McCown

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Hackenberg

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Petty

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

A hypothetical question for you. Lets say in the last 2 preseason games Hack didnt play with the starters. He played with the twos and put up comparable stats to Petty. Do you think he would have been named the starter over McCown? I do.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No doubt of that in my mind at all. In fact, if that had happened, you probably would have had Macc AND Bowles on that podium making the announcement. Macc would have been on ESPN right now telling everyone that Hack gives us: "the best chance to win". Petty's last performance blew up their plan and as I've said, I'm pretty sure they weren't too upset when Petty got rolled by his own linesman and limped off the field.

PulseJet, NCJetsfan and slimjasi like this.
  3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Right, I certainly am aware of the conventional wisdom here, I just personally detest it and have always thought it was wrong.

The problem with doing it this way is that you don't get a chance to evaluate Petty (or Hackenberg, for that matter) in any meaningful games. Half of the team will start to check out, you'll be getting inconsistent efforts from everyone, and even if Petty (or Hack) play well, you will have some people wondering how much a guy playing well in meaningless games really matters going forward.

Also, if Bowles thinks this is the best way to go about saving his job, I fear he is sadly mistaken. McCown isn't going to be good enough to win enough games to stop most people from yearning for another coach. IMO, the best chance Bowles has is to catch lightning in a bottle with one of the kids, exceed expectations, and get offered an extension due to the overall "good feeling" surrounding the team.

I'll put it this way: If Petty (or Hackenberg) won 8 games as the starter, people would be floored with how much better the Jets were than we all thought and you would have a lot of people excited about the future of the team with a promising, developing QB going forward. If McCown somehow won 8 games, people's attitude would mostly be "now what?" and "what was the point of this season?"

Now, I agree that the chances of this team managing to win anywhere near that many games with this pathetic offensive roster are incredibly remote, but IMO, this is the only way Bowles keeps his job - he basically has to hit a homerun. So, why bring in a singles hitter?

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  4. PulseJet

I agree. I read from some source that Petty will be named the backup "pending his knee healing". We'll see.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

At least he should be. Hacenberg should be reduced to waterboy. Petty is much like a young Favre, a gunslinger. Atlanta didn't know it and the Jets don't either but give Petty a decent line and some receivers and let's see what he can do.

6. PulseJet

Excellent points. The only "rebuild" reasoning to play McCown would be he gives you the better chance to sustain drives and from that you can evaluate your young receivers. But all that does is leave a gaping hole at the most important position.

Cman68 and slimjasi like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Josh McCown has been named the starter for week 1.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

BP's stats but without the BP performance (command, poise, progressions, etc......) - I think they would still go with Josh but perhaps with a 3 game leash.

If he was giving us the stats and performance - I'd be screaming FQB and scouring the rosters of other teams for OL help + maybe a vet WR

Cman68 likes this.
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The two QBs Mac drafted with 2 and 3 full off seasons of experience couldn't beat out 38 year old bad QB Josh McCown.

I think it's fair to call both players busts.

10. Cman68

Now if the evaluation process was conducted in a unbiased way, I might agree but that wasn't the case here at all. The reason why Petty didn't beat out McClown is because Bowles is coaching for his job and not for the evaluation of 2 young Qb's. Now I don't know if you're trolling or not, but this post is bordering on exactly that.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, we at least know McCown will survive until week 2 unless he gets hurt. We probably will be terrible but at least we say we are trying whereas Buffalo isn't hiding the fact they are doing everything in their power to go 0-16. Can't wait to see that game.

12. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

What? If Bowles was coaching for his job wouldn't he play the QB that gives him the best chance to win? Petty has been here for three off seasons and still isn't better than Josh McCown. Just because he played well against the Giants third stringers doesn't mean he can play in the NFL

13. Cman68

You don't know how good Petty is... NONE of us knows how good Petty is...Why you ask? Because Petty was redshirted in year 1, played behind a team that had quit in year 2 and so far this year, has been relegated to playing with scrubs. McClown is 2-20 in his last 22 starts. Petty is 1-4. Petty has far more upside but the politics of Hack's draft status as well as Bowles' agenda being the opposite of Macc's and you have what we have now. A coach who's gonna lose his job no matter what happens paired with a old Qb that really should be a coach and two Qb's that we still have no idea what they can do. Given a choice, Bowles put his own interests ahead of the team by selecting McClown. He also shows his bias daily about Petty. Bowles for whatever reason, does not like Petty. As far as Mac is concerned, Petty is a pain in the ass that won't go away. Mac REALLY WANTED Hack to win this job and did everything in his power to make that happen.

Bowles needs a miracle so he picks a loser to get one for him... smart.

#213 Cman68, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    PulseJet and slimjasi like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and notice that Bowles said he hasn't decided who should be the backup yet. If Bowles announces that Hack is the backup, then the Jets are definitely tanking, either that or he should be immediately fired.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I know it's not popular, but I believe that's the right move.

Hack is not ready at all (if ever), and while Petty did enough to win the job, he is currently wearing a knee brace.

I'd give McCown the first 2 games.
    If he's playing well, then you keep going with him.
    Otherwise, turn to Petty once the knee is right.

fwiw, I think all of these QB's would struggle with the line and lack of experienced receivers.

the finger pointing and melt downs on this board will be epic this season.
    It's Bowles job to make sure the team doesn't melt down, finger point, or flat out quit (again)..

16. NCJetsfan

I disagree. We definitely know now. Bowles said that he hasn't decided who will be the backup. If Bowles was gonna start Petty, but then didn't because of the injury, then Petty should by default be the backup and there be no question. Instead, he hasn't decided between Hack and Petty. Hack has been so awful that he shouldn't even be a consideration at this point. In addition Bowles has shown no respect or regard for Petty AT ALL this entire offseason, so why would you expect him to now? His comments about it being a 3-way competition for the starting QB job was an outright lie, and a damnable lie at that.

PulseJet and Cman68 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Singles hitter nothing, McCown's more of a walker or bunter.

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I had Hackenberg up there before, but now I've changed it to McCown, and I don't think Petty should be #2 right now, either. As I said in another post, I think Petty shouldn't see the field until he is 100% healthy, and the Jets have at least attempted to weed out the worst of their terrible OL. I figure that would take 2-4 games. At that point Petty should be the starter until he either gets hurt or completely shits the bed, in which case Hackenberg can come in. If by some chance McCown gets hurt in the first game or two, bring in Hackenberg, but only until Petty is ready, unless by some incomprehensible miracle Hackenberg plays well.

Royal Tee and BacktoQueens like this.
  19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

My man Brissett, who was draft 40 spots after Hack, had himself a day today. 28/39 for 341 yards 5 TDs (4 in the air and 1 on the ground) with 1 INT for a 121.8 RAT.

More Hackenberg...
    Post by: legler82, May 2, 2017 in forum: New York Jets

More Hackenberg...

More Hackenberg...

2016 NFL DRAFT....ROUND TWO & THREE DISCUSSIONS (OPENS at 6:50 EST)
    Post by: legler82, Apr 29, 2016 in forum: Draft

QB's In The Draft...
    Post by: legler82, Apr 13, 2016 in forum: Draft

Trade up with Baltimore or Jacksonville for Goff?
    Post by: legler82, Apr 12, 2016 in forum: Draft

Trade up with Baltimore or Jacksonville for Goff?
    Post by: legler82, Apr 12, 2016 in forum: Draft

Jets Are Looking at McCown
    Post by: legler82, Mar 30, 2016 in forum: New York Jets