Who Should Be The Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Aug 22, 2017.

?

Who should be the Jets Opening Day Starter?

1. McCown

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Hackenberg

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Petty

42 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Little disappointed with Bowles here. This was supposed to be a QB competition. Bowles gave Hack the opportunity which I was happy about, but he failed. Petty won the job by default because of the lack of snaps McCown had this preseason. Petty also played pretty well, and didn't look that awful last year before the injury. Petty should be the starter week 1.

slimjasi likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

"Well blow me down...."

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But Petty is hurt. Was this the reason Bowles picked McCown, or was this the plan all along because "McCown gives us the best chance to win"? We'll never know.

4. Cman68

and get this.. Bowles hasn't named his #2 guy yet either. I guess he needs to see more of Hack against the 1's and Petty against the scrubs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

From everything I read, Petty would be healthy by week 1- obviously I know less then the medical staff. Starting McCown accomplishes nothing this season even if he plays well. He is a one year rental no matter what.

6. Cman68

so why not let McClown get his ass waxed the first several weeks... Petty has taken enough pounding behind this bullshit Oline already.

7. ColoradoContrails

I agree, but I was just pointing out that Petty's injury gives Bowles cover to do what he was going to do anyway.

Cman68 and JetDan like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I agree, but I just really want them to make a choice to put the best QB in there. That said, I've seen enough to know that my assessment of Petty as a decent QB has been validated.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

He will definitely get ass waxed- and end up hurt. Even with the awful offensive line, time is running out for Petty and I think each game gives him the experience he potentially needs. Do I think Petty is the answer? No, but I am rooting for him just like I root for every young QB who goes under center.

NY Jets68, slimjasi and Cman68 like this.
  10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Toilet goes with McCown. It's the wrong decision and Toilet is a dead man walking as Jet HC.

The fanbase has bought in to the rebuild. Everyone knows the team is a work in progress. Early wins are meaningless. In fact, playing a 38 year old backup is counterproductive towards finding your franchise QB, who is either in your room or in the first 2 picks of the 2018 NFL draft. Half the fanbase wanted Petty as the starter.

What is the upside to playing McCown? I wont be watching. I wanted to watch a rebuild, not a retread.

11. Cman68

That Bowles still hasn't chosen Petty as the #2 despite clearly outplaying Hack shines a really bright light on the bias Petty is up against in this organization..Lucky for Petty his rookie contract is up next year. I hope he loads up his truck, tells Macc and Bowles to go fuck themselves and gets the hell outta here the day after that. If the day ever comes that Petty plays against the Jets, I would love to be there to see it.

12. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I just don't don't understand the point of starting McCown. It makes zero sense to me.

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Its painful to watch. They continue to discard a guy that does all the right things, says all the right things, is a good soldier, plays with energy and fire and whatever the hell "moxie" is. Has a great arm, accurate, looks like he can read defenses, run thru progressions, delivers the ball on time and hits multiple receivers... But its against the 2's and he's a 4th round pick so it doesnt count.

Mac and Bowles. Dumb and Dumber. Like in the last scene in that movie where the Hawaiian Tropic girls ask where they can find two guys to put sunscreen on them. Dumb and Dumber tell them to check in the town down the road. Thats Mac and Bowles.

14. Cman68

Keep in mind the dynamic here slim.. Toilet is coaching for his extension, not for the future. McClown is the "now". Toilet starts McClown as it gives him: "the best chance to get an extension"..

15. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Not surprised at all but who care. Doesn't matter who is starting behind the line, we are going 2-14 1-15 regardless

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Isn't that what you would do if you were coaching for your job?

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

They are going to wait until the earlier of a McCown injury, implosion or mathematical elimination from the playoffs to start one of the kids.

18. Cman68

Yep.. But what that also does is puts this entire "Qb competition" squarely into the bullshit cover story folder. It also highlight opposing agendas between the HC and the GM. If Woody had been smart enough to give Toilet a one year extension in 2016, perhaps Bowles would have truly been on board with the rebuild. As it is though, Bowles is in this for Bowles and fck this "2017 rebuild". The loser in all of this as usual, is the Jets.

slimjasi likes this.
  19. Cman68

and elimination from any shot at one of the big 3 since we already have our FQB. He just needs A LOT more time and reps.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I definitely know why Bowles thinks it's the right decision, but he's obviously wrong, IMO. If McCown starts, the Jets are going to finish something like 4-12 and Bowles is not getting his extension. If Bowles had a brain, he would realize that his best chance to get an extension is to have one of these young guys exceed expectations and win more games than anyone thinks is possible.

Otherwise, he is gone no matter what. Barring the .000000000001% chance of McCown having a magical 98 Vinny season (with a shitty offensive line and very questionable receivers), Bowles is gone anyway. His only chance is to catch lightning in a bottle with one of the kids. And, from what we have seen so far, Petty is much more qualified than Hackenberg at this juncture.

A brave (and wise) coach starts Petty. Everyone in the media is so quick to point out that Petty's perfect QB rating the other night came against backups, but no one ever mentions the fact that Petty was also playing with backups.

To me, you can only judge guys by how they handle the specific set of circumstances that they are given. From that perspective, Petty has clearly outshined the other two guys, and given his youth and potential, deserves a legitimate shot to start for a team that hasn't already given up on the season.