Who is going to suprise us this year?

Discussion in 'Crystal Ball' started by United_Jets, Sep 4, 2008.

1. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

There are always a couple of teams each year that come out of relative nothingness to suprise the pundits, punters whatever we want to call them. Nothingness may be a stretch with some teams mentioned in these conversations but however. I wanted to see which teams you guys think will exceed expectations to be well in contention for a playoff spot possibly even a superbowl run at the end of the year. Also who's going to disappoint and perform below expectations?

On the rise
    Vikings - An excellent defensive unit last season, a very good offensive line (even if they're bleeding a bit) and an outstanding back in Peterson. I suppose the big question is QB play with Tavaris Jackson. I think he'll do just enough in his role to make this team very competitive. I expect to see them challenging for the division with Green Bay and they could cause any team they face in the playoffs problems. This isn't exactly an original pick but anyhow...

Redskins - If Portis and Betts can be consistently effective then I think they could cause a few upsets - even in probably the toughest division in football. Jason Campbell for me is underrated. Whilst he hasn't put a steller season together since becomming the starter (was it last season or 2006?) He has shown flashes of supreme quality when he hasn't been injured. If he stays fit they have good options in Sanatana and Chris Cooley in the passing game. Their O-Line is pretty good, the acquisition of Taylor is important (even if I can't stand him) so their defence should be good enough to keep things interesting in the NFC East.

Arizona - I think they may just push Seattle for the division. Whether it's Warner or Leinhart their offensive weapons are too plentiful to ignore. A WC spot may be a bridge too far for them though.

Jets - I don't need to say too much here. I hope we turn into the suprise team of the season. I suppose we're not under the radar any more but there still aren't many picking us to really challenge the top teams.

Denver - I'm unsure about Denver but again their defence is decent-ish, terrible against the run last year so they need improvement there - but I think their offence could really turn into a bit of a handfull for defensive coordinators. If Selvin Young stars and Cutler continues to grow then we could see plenty of bursting runs behind that line, play-action passes and bootlegs galore with the mobile Cutler. Much will depend on him but I don't mind the look of his targets wither.

Teams to disappoint

Giants - They'll struggle missing 22 sacks from Strahan and Uminyora even though their pass rush will continue to be a decent threat. Their running game was one of the biggest suprises from last year but will it be again? I think they need to utilise Bradshaw more than they are planning to (from what I hear). Will Manning return to his Interception-prone jitters? How about their home form? Too many questions in a tough division for me.

Lions - I think last season might have been a high water mark if you will (it's not saying all that much since they missed the playoffs but I think they started 5-1 or 6-1). Pretty poor run defence (yeh I know my logic is inconsistent!), they've lost Woody on the OL and Rodgers on the DL. Kevin Jones may impress and Rudi as a backup is nothing to laugh about but I can't see Jon Kitna as having his best years ahead of him. Plus no more Martz to call pass play after pass play.

Buffalo - I've noticed a lot of people picking the Bills to be a suprise package this season but I don't know if I can see it. James Hardy has been touted as an instant addition particulalry in the red zone but it's a bit much to put a lot of hope of saving their passing game in a guy who hasn't played a down. Is Edwards ready to step up. I wouldn't be suprised if the QB position became up for grabs again for the Bills - if as much out of the prospect of Losman as poor play by Edwards. Lynch is a strong back no doubt. But I'm not sold yet....they'll make the playoffs if Terrance McGhee has 10 INT TD returns and 10 Kick Return TD's

Teams I'm unsure of
    The season for these teams could be great or underwhelming or anything...

Eagles
    Panthers
    Titans
    Bengals
    Seahawks

Does anyone give these guys a chance?
    Dolphins
    49'ers
    Texans
    Falcons
    Chiefs
    Raiders
    Ravens

What do you guys think? I know there's a predictions thread but this is just a different look at things.

#1 United_Jets, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

A lot of people are picking the Jets to win a wild card. The problem is we are not in the same tier as NE, SD and the Colts. We are one tier behind. I would say with Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, Jacksonville and maybe Buffalo. As usual, as with any year in the NFL it all depends on who stays healthy. We have better than a 50-50 chance to seriously compete.

3. NYJ4LF

NYJ4LF Member

Arizona will surprise people for sure this season. If they do not win the NFC West there is something wrong.

I am disappointed with how the Browns have started. They played well against Pittsburgh though.

4. IATA

IATA Trolls

You are like, the worst predicter yet, kudos!

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I think Arizona will win their division.

I don't know if it would necessarily be a surprise but I think the Giants make it to the Superbowl again this year.

Again, don't know if this is a surprise but Tennessee looks great this year and I see them keeping it up.