Who here is tired of the D getting burned on predicatable blitzes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CandleGuy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

Raise your hand

*hand up*

I don't know is this a byproduct of a weak secondary? The vets QBs we've played this year (excluding Freeman) have burned us when they've picked up the blitz.

Announcers: Rex is probably gonna blitz here

Audience: Rex is probably gonna blitz.

Vet QB: Here comes the blitz

*Rex blitzes*

*Big 3rd down completion by opposing team*

#1 CandleGuy, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

It drives me completely insane. I'd be surprised if we didn't lead the league in allowing the most 3rd and long completions.

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

teams complete 37% of their 3rd downs vs us

4. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

But Rex is a genius.........

5. Intoddwetrust

Intoddwetrust New Member

the 37% is a stat to show that we don't give up many 1st downs on third down 37% is a good number.

6. Intoddwetrust

Intoddwetrust New Member

also remember when giving up about 2yds a carry most teams are going to be in third and long.

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I think you just answered your own question - before we use to blitz as we didnt have any pass rush, now its to compensate for our poor secondary play.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its no secret what the jets mojo is and against rothlisberger its gonna be suicide sometimes.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Those blitzes used to be disguised fairly well. Now, it's almost as if the other team was in the huddle when the DCall comes in on 3rd and long especially now when our secondary is, at best, serviceable.

Remember when they used to just mill around the ball until the snap and then send the house? Seen it lately? Remember the "Overload Blitz"? Teams caught up with that one too. Now, when we have a pressure generating front 4, we can't get pressure when we need it on 3rd and longs and we get burned on midrange passes. We've always had problems with pass catching TE's and that hasn't changed so far.

Its almost like playing whack-a-mole with the defense. We solve the front 4 problem, the secondary deteriorates. When we had a great secondary, we couldn't rush w/o some exotic blitz. Rex may be a defensive genius, but for whatever reason, his defenses still has problems getting off the field and by the 4th, they're running on fumes.

We can continue drafting defense and hope that fixes the problem. We've been doing that for quite a few years now. Or, we can concentrate on the offense and try to keep our defense rested instead of playing big minutes every week.

I dunno what the fix ultimately will be, but the reality is, we still have a long ways to go. Don't jump off the bandwagon, but remember its still a wagon and not a Cadillac.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No OLB's who are consistent pass rushers means more overload blitzes.

Yeah it was agonizing to watch yesterday but who hit IR last week?

Antwan Barnes.

11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

We need Milliner back and Cro to start playing like himself. He's getting burned regularly by receivers who usually have no chance against him. I understand we only gave up 19 points but we can't even give up that much if we want to win against a team with an above average defense.

12. BookEndTackles 72&79

It's tough to take when a 3rd and 15 is converted on a WR screen while the WR runs through the entire secondary on his way to getting a first down. Cro and DeMario Davis are the only guys who can be somewhat trusted in man to man coverage. Don't know why Cro doesn't jam his man anymore. He let the WR get a free release on that TD.

13. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Was just about to say this.

14. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

This part of your post was money xD

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Are you fuckin serious with this?

Our D is ranked 2nd in the league right now!! 2nd!! We have a top 5 sack number and we have a young hungry defensive line that is growing together. People are really sitting here complaining? Are you kidding me?

Our fan base is really turning to shit man. It truly is and it is really upsetting

16. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

The Texans are ranked #1 by a wide margin. We're number 4. And even though they are ranked #1 nobody thinks they are playing great this season. You can't just go by yards.

Our D forces no turnovers. When the Steelers played the Bears, their D forced several turnovers and jumped all over Pittsburgh. We did not come close to achieving that. And the Bears are an average defense.

I guess I'm a little past the point of "our D is awesome" when we have 1 INT in 6 games. This is a passing league. You can't win that way.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Going zero coverage on that 3rd and 2 was stupid considering NO ONE has been able to run on our front 7 this year.

18. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Our wins and losses have been based on one position this year. And it's not any position on Defense.

In Wins 56 87 786 64.4 9.03 69 6TD 3INT 102.0
    In Losses 57 103 704 55.3 6.84 37 1TD 7INT 51.6

19. Tight

Tight Active Member

these are the same type of blitzes rex called in baltimore and got numerous turnovers... The problem is except for ONE guy the secondary has NO awareness and no type anticipation.

rex wants the quaterback to throw it to the hot, and they usually do problem is our secondary is NOT GOOD.

20. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

You can't just go by the numbers. Sure, the defense is ranked high in the NfL, and I appreciate all the good and promise they've shown. However, the reason why we have every right to complain is not by the numbers, it's by how the defense has been playing situational. In many times that we've needed a big stop, especially on 3rd and long, the defense let us down. It's moment like those that define the pace of the game.

I blame both Rex and the players. Rex has become predictable with his blitzes, which set up an easy little pass to get an easy first down and what not. I blame the players on defense for not stepping up and making any big plays whatsoever. I was at the game yesterday and aside from the D-line, the defense looked like they barely had much heart to step up on certain plays and give a big effort to make a play that we needed in order to stop the Steelers momentum and gain a little much needed momentum for us that could've given Geno and the offense any bit of a spark to step up on offense.