Who don’t you like?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Harpua, Jan 6, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I thought it was fair based on what he stated and still do. 15 receptions isn't nearly enough to convince me that he's a good receiver, especially when his number of catches went down each season instead of going up.

Initially, I didn't go back and research Love and what his stats were, but I have now. I just looked up both Love's and McCaffery's stats. McCaffery had 45 receptions in 2015 and 37 in 2016. Love had only 8 and 6 the last two seasons. I would think that if Love was a good receiver, he'd have had around the same number of receptions as McCaffery. Why would they abandon a part of their offense that had worked so well? Love's having 15 receptions in 2015 make it a little better, but it is still a valid concern imo. That may be part of why Love stayed in school. Maybe he heard from scouts that he was only given a 3rd round grade and it was something that he needed to work on in order to improve his draft stock.

6-10 once again likes this.
  2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Any running back in the first round.

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Word-for-word - this. Matter of fact, I was going to post something almost identical. Not a draftnik. Just watch a ton of college football. The only other player that made my eyes pop this year (but isn't in this draft) - Da'Ron Payne. His two CFP games were unbelievable.

Roquan Smith was always decent, but made a huge leap from 2016 to 2017 and turned into a tackling machine from sideline to sideline. Quenton Nelson just feels like a future HOF guard. A mauler with a real working brain. I can't help liking Barkley - strong, fast, catches the ball well. But, as a Jets fan, there's one thing that holds me back. And it's irrational, I admit. Every time I see the kid play, I see Blair Thomas. I hope he proves me wrong, because I'd like to wash that from my mind once and for all.

After that, I can't say any other player controlled games. Certainly none of the QBs. I really wouldn't mind at all if we traded down in the first round and picked up a later first and another second.

One other player I really love (maybe because I've watched a ton of UGA football) - I think Sony Michel could be an fantastic 3rd down back in the NFL. He wasn't asked to catch the ball much in 2017, because Georgia changed its approach when Jake Fromm took over. But he can catch the ball and did in every other year. As a runner, when Sony builds up a head of steam, he rips off yards. I doubt he'd be a great feature back, but as a spot-starter, second option, 3rd down back - he could be really good. I absolutely DON'T want to see him anywhere else in the AFC East.

#43 Sundayjack, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Quenton Nelson is money in the bank. Today. Tomorrow.

Red Menace and Sundayjack like this.
  5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

There are a slew of clips like this that make hope this dude is in a Jets uniform for the next decade.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You guys deserve kudos for all your research on each position...I have limited time and QB is pretty much as far as I go in scouting pos by pos

That said: Rosen and Mayfield will make it in NFL for sure imo. Josh is most ready to step in and ditto for BM

Not 100 per cent sure due to turnovers for Sam D...so maybe

Mason Rudolf I need to see further as he did not participate in Senior Bowl ..

Lamar Jackson is not a consideration ...I won't tolerate a Vick 2.0

Josh Allen ....I would just stay away ...no experience playing the best Colleges...hype on top of hype..throws way too fast and hard at his receivers...coaching needed big time

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Josh Allen. I hope Mac doesn't fall in love with him because of his size and ceiling. Let another team take him. I'm ok with Mayfield at 6 assuming Rosen and Darnold are off the board by then.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInPA like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

And if the Jets take an OG at #6 rather than a QB, then they deserve to lose every single game for the next 10 years. They'd probably wind up only keeping Nelson for the length of his initial contact anyway. If he's half as good as some of you think, he'd want a lot more than the Jets would be willing to pay, or if they signed Cousins, would be able to pay under the cap. He would totally destroy the team's salary structure.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Why has he killed any dogs that you know about? Michael Vick took a team to a Super Bowl. I haven't seen the Jets in a Super Bowl in 49 years. He might have even won one if he didn't get in trouble with the law. Will never understand why Rex didn't play Vick instead of Geno in 2014. If you don't like that he was a running QB, I can understand that, but all QB's these days need to be able to run to keep drives alive. Heck, even "old man" McCown ran. The name of the game, these days is finding a way to get time to throw. If you can do that with superior blocking that's great, but few teams have such outstanding O lines that can consistently thwart a good pass rush. A QB has to be able to extend plays, either by being a threat to run, or being able to avoid a rush like P. Manning, Roethlisberger, or Brady. Jackson has that ability and that makes him a very promising QB prospect. If he can put that skill together with a accurate throwing arm, then he could be the ticket.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the furthest Vick led his team to the NFC Championship game in 2004? I agree with your point about being able to extend plays, but can't remember Vick going to a Super Bowl.

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Nope, can't correct you. You are right! Was thinking of McNabb who Vick replaced at Philly. But would still prefer Vick over any other QB who played for the Jets since Sanchez.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Vick was a better qb when he took over for McCnabb than before he went to prison also. Lamar right now is probably closer to that Vick than the Atlanta cick who ran and chucked it deep

101GangGreen101 and westiedog1 like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Rosen: is the most pro-ready looking prospect - his concussions and injury history concern me.
    Mayfield: great competitor, accurate thrower and a winner - he's also a runt and not a truly elite talent in my opinion.
    Darnold: Outside of signing Cousins, Darnold's the one QB guy I'd trade the ranch for out of the draft bunch - not even close.
    Rudolph: Another (slightly better) version of Bryce Petty - pass.
    Jackson: would consider (Petrino runs a pro set out of Louisville).
    Allen: Paxton Lynch - pass.

You missed the gist of my post above (pls. take another look at it). I was sarcastically focusing on WW85's two separate FLIP-FLOP posts (note the in bold). The first one: "Darnold best prospect I've seen in decades." Then he goes total flip-flop and posts: "I don't like any of the top QBs" as in wtf?!!

I've been talking QBs all fall. In anticipation of this year's crop of QBs I even sprung for a Pac-12 TV package (which is why I continued commenting weekly while others would go full "radio silence" whenever their 'favorite' had a lousy game (i.e. I'd actually tape/watch the games - they'd read the stat line, if that).

My 2018 Plan 'A'? Either grab Cousins or work a trade for the rights to draft Darnold.

Plan 'B' would be to grab Rosen, Mayfield or Jackson - but the QB chase stops after that..

Looking at this team, it has talent holes all over the roster and outside of the above plan "a" and plan "b" I wouldn't be drafting offensive for the sake of "drafting offense" just because they've avoided it for years. Saquon Barkey's a beast but this is a RB-rich draft with available talent later. I don't want to draft for "need" when there are holes all over the place.

Having said that, two scenarios: one offensive, one defensive
    (this wholly contingent on the Jets signing Cousins).

Offense: Cousins signed at QB, Quinton Nelson (G), Billy Price (C) and Will Hernandez (G). QB with an immediate upgrade of the OL.

Defense: Morris Claiborne re-signed at CB, Minkah Fitzpatrick or Denzel Ward (there's your secondary). Other 1st round considerations: Bradley Chubb (there's your pass-rusher) or Tremaine Edmunds, (there's your size/speed/beast all-purpose, all-in-one LB that instantly improves Davis and Jordan).

101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Sorry if I misunderstood, misconstrued your intent. I did get that you were questioning WW85, but can understand that. I was very high on both Darnold and Rosen before the season began and really hoped that the Jets would get one of them, but now, am not sure that I would want either one.

I did think that you were advocating for drafting Nelson, so sorry I misunderstood you there. I do think he is the safest prospect in the draft, but going the "safe" route will never get the Jets to greatness.

I don't want Cousins at all. I want long term, sustainable success, not for 3-4 years (if that). Darnold is the QB I want least of the supposed top 3. I think he has a lot of work to do, and will probably need to sit for a year if not two. Even then, I'm not sure he will be all that. The number of interceptions he threw this year really troubles me. I also don't trust or like QBs with only 2 years of starting experience.

Why use all of your high draft picks on the OL when the Jets have or could have $100 million in cap space, and there are a SLEW of very good, young OGs and Cs, and even several RTs who could be available? The Jets could remake 3/5ths of their starting OL in FA with 26 year olds. There aren't RBs or young edge rushers who will be available in FA. The best way the Jets can use those FA $s to improve the team is to fix the OL and add a CB or two, not sign a QB who isn't elite and who is almost 30. I'd rather draft 10 Darnolds than sign one Cousin.

The only positions I would consider drafting on D would be edge rusher, NT, ILB and CB, and none of those in the 1st round. Enough is enough. As far as I'm concerned the Jets have to take a QB with their 1st round pick. I want Mayfield, but would settle for Jackson, I guess. They can grab a RB in the 2nd round and an edge rusher or OT/OG with their other 2nd round pick. I'd like for them to take another QB in the 3rd or 4th round.

15. NYJetsO12

No Westie..he has not been cruel to any animals..ahahaha..And I have a Sphinx cat nowbut used to own a Westie..

He is not on my favorite list ..that's all..and yes he won a Heisman plus like Vick he might take a team far

But TBH Lamar has not got the ratings the other QBs have..since he is primarily seen as a runner in scouts eyes..kid not ranked up there with the best of this class and there is usually a reason for that

Talented athlete but dude is NOT a very accurate passer from what I hear

He will have to impress at Combines

16. NYJetsO12

Where is the evidence Kurt Cousins is worth it? Loads of stats from beating up poor competition..he is a good QB but not on the same elite level as Brees Ben R Rivers and of course Brady...he is WAY overrated and not worth 34 million...he is a Alex Smith redux with tons of hype...his own Team wants to say bye bye to him hmmm...

TBH I was on the Sam D Darnold bandwagon all Fall till he ran up against OSU and was exposed as a fumbler bumbler and intercept machine...granted that was thTOP defense in country but it sure is telling..But bottom line I won't complain if he ends up in green and white

Mayfield is tough as 2 dollar steak ,has the "it" factor to motivate a Team ..imo a Winner and his height should NOT limit him if he is on his way to become another D Brees

Rosen is Golden ..I would grab him and not look back..ready for NFL..who cares about the injuries and attitude..get him a special helmet and tape his mouth hahahah...we don't take him someone else will

In short NO PERFECTION out there.Joe. .just a lot of OPPORTUNITY

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

My biggest issue with Mayfield isn’t even his size. It’s that he leaves the pocket too quick.

Mayfield is a good athlete, but he’s not Russell Wilson. NFL defenses will track his tendencies to roll out to the right and eat him alive.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like the offensive options under the signing Cousins scenario, I would be stoked if that happened.

The only thing we disagree on is Darnold, I see his 2 years of college experience as a hindrance.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Bellicheat did that to Mariota in the playoffs a couple of weeks ago, put a spy on him all game and forced him to be a pocket passer, we saw how ineffective he became.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield is such a competitor, and has had to learn how to adjust, that he'll learn how to adjust to that tactic too. He reminds me a little of Mahomes - without the cannon arm - will do anything to win, will create on the fly and not just stick to the plan. He would probably drive Bowles crazy, and he would be worth signing for that alone.

NCJetsfan likes this.