Who Actual Saw SB 3 as it was Televised?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jan 23, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

My maternal grandparents had one of those monstrosities. It had a record player in the top of it too.

Looked a little like this.

[​IMG]

Can remember many a Thanksgivings as a kid gathering around that tv with family to watch one of the football games on that day.

Thanks to all for sharing their memories.

#61 playtowinthegame, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    NYJetsO12, NY Jets68, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Remember how you had to play with the ears to get decent reception? Sometimes I had to hold on to one of the Antenna arms to avoid those color lines...
    We used to ball up tin foil and put it on the tip of the antenna. UHF was just science fiction to us. Never could get much on it. I think the FAA sold that frequency band.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Just think - the things this monster did are now replaced by smartphones in the palm of our hands. And, we can make calls and take great photos.

Reminiscing about TV's back then etc, it's emphasizing how long its been since we've been treated to our team appearing in a Super Bowl. By the next one, we'll be discussing the days "before holographic virtual reality Super Bowl interaction" or some shit... Knowing Champ, I doubt he started this thread for us to share warm fuzzy feelings and stories about the Wonder Years, so for you Champ, I've guided it back towards a small measure of outrage. How much longer must we wait?

Brook!, playtowinthegame and Cman68 like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah.. Instead of another misery thread, this turned into the warm and fuzzy thread. After 50 years, speaking for myself all the outrage is gone and only apathy and skepticism remains.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Exactly, which is why we got the external antenna. I remember being able to get 3 UHF stations in Queens - 31 (WNYC, the official station of the City of New York until 1996, when it was sold and shut down under Giuliani; I remember that they sometimes showed live meetings of the UN General Assembly), and 41 (Univision) and 47 (Telemundo), the two Spanish stations. When I went to college at Stony Brook in 1972 we got a fourth station, 21 (WLIW), which was (and still is) public broadcasting. It was all rabbit ears or external antennas for me until 1978, when I moved out of the Yale graduate student dorm and into an apartment off campus. My landlady (who lived on the first floor of the house; my apartment was the second floor) put in cable soon after I moved in, and it was absolutely wonderful. Back then the only NBC stations that could be received in New Haven were UHF stations from places like Waterbury (channel 20, WATR) and New Britain (channel 30, WVIT), and the signals were weak in New Haven, so it was very nice to get it all without wavy lines (not to mention all of the New York stations, HBO, Atlanta channel 17 (Turner), and ESPN starting in 1979).

Cman68 likes this.
  6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Woody and Christopher Johnson should read this thread. We are the Cubs of the Gridiron. I'm trying hard to envision Todd Bowles getting Gatorade dumped on him as the New York Jets become Super Bowl champions. I really want it to work out for him, because it means we are getting closer to our goal of a championship.

#65 playtowinthegame, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yes I still have mine bought before the Oak PO game in 1968 at Shea

NY Jets68 likes this.
  8. championjets69

i still get POed when the Colts recover that on sides kick late in the 4th qtr when I watch my SB3 tape. :mad:

tomdeb likes this.
  9. championjets69

Yes they had a parade that went from Battery Park up Broadway to City Hall where they got the keys to the city. :)

Brook! likes this.
  10. championjets69

Sorry guy U R really backing the wrong horse when U R backing Bowles IMHO. Give me some reason that U think that Bowles can compete with Belly brainpower. If U cannot then there is no way Bowles will every over take Belly :mad:

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I watched a taped version. Does that count? Great game!

12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Love how this has turned into an old timer's rehash....lol.....

13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

WE had a color TV by the time of the '69 World Series

14. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

You could watch Jets home games on channels 20/30, or channel 3 for the Giants

I had an uncle who lived in Northern Westchester who bought an enormous rotating antenna to pull in those stations. Channel 3 came in very clear, but 20 or 30 was hit or miss.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

During the four seasons I was there the Jets were 22-38 and the Giants were 20-40, so I can't say that that was much of a selling point!

Brook! likes this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course I watched it live. All AFL and NFL games were broadcast live in the UK in the '60s.

I actually had to wait until 1988 to watch my first live Jets game, against the Chiefs at Arrowhead, and I think it was maybe 1997 that I saw my first live Jets game on TV over here - the loss against Detroit that cost us a playoff berth. I listened to a lot of their games on the AFRTS network, though, starting in 1986. I used to enjoy the radio broadcasts, I sometimes think about opting for a radio pass instead of paying for the GamePass. Maybe this coming year...

Brook! likes this.
  17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I saw with my brother (giant fan) and boy did I have fun. Drank a 12 pack and 4 shots of tequila. I quit drinking tequila and there are sometimes I think I made the wrong choice of what I should have quit.

Brook!, playtowinthegame and Cidusii like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, as I stated, I am probably more pro-Namath MVP than Snell--The Colts DL was a little banged up and Namath picked on them on nearly every running play in the TD drive in the second quarter--give Namath credit for that too.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMG Play dated a girl in Canarsie ,Brooklyn and bingo this was her family set...ahahahah

Sheesh ..where did this time go? ..sigh

playtowinthegame likes this.
  20. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

My nephew was being confirmed that day. I thought I might miss the game (man was I pissed) but didn't. Watched it on a small (17"?) black and white. Following year, had to watch the Playoff game vs. KC at Bishop Ford HS on closed circuit TV(blackout rule). Jets had 1st and goal at 1, had to settle for FG and lost 13-6. They have been cursed ever since.

Brook! likes this.
  21. skipper

skipper Member

I guess I'm the lurking grandaddy here who reads but doesn't post much. I was 31 and watched it on a B&W with rabbit ears. That set had come with the gal who had just moved in with me and that I would soon marry (yes, we're looking at our 50th anniversary next year). It was somewhat smaller than the 17" models that have been discussed. She wasn't much for football so there were numerous interruptions but I managed to watch most of the game. And, unlike many of the other posters, I was old enough to drink beer, and did so, enthusiastically.

Brook!, Since1969 and Cidusii like this.