Who Actual Saw SB 3 as it was Televised?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jan 23, 2018.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Now be truthful. This up coming season will be year 49 since we last won that SB which means I guess if U were 8 or 9 then U would be in hi 40s range or older now

:mad:

2. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

I think your math is a bit off. It has been 49 years since their last Super Bowl. If you are in your 40s and saw it you were in the womb. I was 3 and I'm 51 so I wasn't a football fan yet. So if you were 8 or 9 you would be 56 or 57.

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I saw it live on tv with dad and uncle. I was 10. Did not appreciate as I would now but I was into it. Basically means nothing to me as a 58 year old man. I feel like I will never have that chance again as long as woody owns the team.

boozer32, Chrisiue and Brook! like this.
  4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Our best hope is we get lucky and catch lightening in a bottle. We need to find diamonds with 2nd day picks.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I was 15 and watched it with my father. It was the first time that a team I rooted for scored a major upset. I breathed a big sigh of relief when Morrall didn't see Jimmy Orr, who was wide open in the end zone on a flea-flicker play.

I got really nervous in the third quarter when Unitas started warming up. I was terrified he would work his old magic and pull the game out. I've read that Namath had the same reaction, standing on the sideline muttering "F'ing Johnny U." Some people still argue that Don Shula blew the game by not having Unitas start the second half, but if I remember right, Unitas was coming off a serious arm injury and didn't have his customary zip on the ball.

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Get this: I was 6 and have no recollection of it since my family wasn't into sports when I was little. In later years my older brother tells me "Yeah, we didn't watch the game because that was they day we were all at Panther Lake to select our summer vacation site."

I FREAKIN' REMEMBER DOING THAT. Are you kidding me??? I would have remembered SB3 if the family had just stayed home that day. :eek: Who else here remembers something ELSE they did on that day?

All in all, it's just a 'nother brick in the wall

playtowinthegame and Brook! like this.
  7. Since1969

Panther Lake in north Jersey? My wife's family used to go there.

You have to remember that back then, the Super Bowl was nowhere near what it is today. The AFL was considered almost a minor league, and in the first two Super Bowls, Green Bay had won pretty easily. Major league baseball was still far more popular than professional football. Super Bowl III became such a big deal after the fact. Before the fact, Namath's guarantee was considered a lot of hot air, like Fred Williamson's boasts before Super Bowl I. Once Namath delivered, however, it became the stuff of legend.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I love reading old timers discussing their SB 3 memories. @Cman60 . Please report to the information desk.

boozer32, Chrisiue and Cman68 like this.
  9. Since1969

Old timers!!! Seriously? Them's fighting words!

Two more memories: (1) Namath overthrowing Maynard early in the game on a real long pass. Maynard had a bad hamstring or else he would have caught it.

(2) Namath suffering an injury and having to come out for back-up Babe Parilli. Thankfully, Namath was able to go right back in.

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yup. That's the place. While Joe Willie was triumphantly waiving his finger in the air, I was in the woods of Andover NJ.

11. Since1969

Panther Lake was where my future wife took me to meet my future in-laws for the first time. They towed a trailer up there for the summer and stayed there on weekends. So, now, I drive my wife crazy by asking, "Remember when I first met your parents in that trailer park where they were living?" It never fails to drive her apoplectic.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm certain my dad had it on the Magnavox in the living room. I may have crawled by.

PennyRoyal10 and Brook! like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was 16 and watching it with my older sister on her little black and white TV (our other tv, a color model, was being used by my parents who didn't care at all about sports). She wasn't much of a football fan so much as a Joe Namath fan, and I lived and died with every play. I believed then, as I still believe, that it was a divine act or karma...sort of the Universe saying "So you think you know who controls things? HAH!". But in return for being the recipient of that miracle the Jets have had to bear the cross of eternal losing.

What I really miss the most is that shortly after that, after being absorbed by the NFL, the Jets gave up their identity as a high flying, risk-taking team. See what "stability" has wrought?

#13 ColoradoContrails, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  14. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

My brother and I watched the game together, hoping that the Jets would make a respectable showing. As the game progressed it became obvious that they were not greatly overmatched. When they took the lead the tension increased. They actually might win!

And then they did!

15. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

First football game I ever watched - 7 at the time. I remember my dad rooting for the Colts and being rather upset at the outcome (since he was a Redskins fan) - found out later that he had some serious scratch on the game.

Chrisiue likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Count me in as watching it live.

At this age I barely remember it.

I did think it'd be the first of many.

I've been wrong a lot since then.:(

Brook! likes this.
  17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i was minus 3 in 69

Brook! likes this.
  18. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I was 12 years old knowing that the Colts were favored big time, I listened to Curt Gowdy talking before the game on TV wearing a Jet Green sports jacket. At the beginning the Colts seemed to march up the field on their beginning drive but Earl Morral would throw those interceptions to kill the drives.
    Namath was moving the team but never made the big mistake when the field got small and kept Jim Turner in field goal range.
    The TD by Snell allowed a big time excitement from a Gowdy that made a 12 year old like myself really believe that the Jets had a shot, Unitas coming in was a scare but it didn’t matter.
    I remember going to school the next day being as excited as could be because I won a quarter off of 4 different people by taking the Jets.
    The Jets had a great year the year after but went down in the playoffs to the Chiefs at Shea during a wind blown game 13-6.
    Being football aware for 49 years has made this run tough.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

My uncle had other plans for me, I was half way around the world. Just another thing about my relationship with the Jets that pisses me off.

Brook! likes this.
  20. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I was just shy of 11 years old and remember watching SB3 with 3 of 4 of my brothers, the youngest was only a year old, and my sister. Dad was a huge Jets fan and we had just gotten some Jets gear for Christmas, knit winter hats and Jets pennants like this one. Wish I still had it. :(
    [​IMG]

There was whooping and hollering well after the game was over.