Which QB has the LOWEST Floor?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 16, 2018.

?

Which QB has the LOWEST Floor?

1. Josh Rosen

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Sam Darnold

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Baker Mayfield

24 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Josh Allen

61 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There are plenty of mature men who completely lack empathy. There are mature men who are sociopaths. Where talking about a potential 1st round top 5 NFL pick. The process that most of these top players go through is designed to reduce empathy and increase narcism. These are the chosen ones and they have been treated that way since peewee football. The reality of pro sports is a lot of our athletic heroes aren't nice guys. They are self absorbed, crazy talents who have been put on a pedestal for most of their lives. Of course they're narcissist at this point in their lives. They spend their time trying to physically and mentally beat their competition every single day. They live in a world where if you slip by fractions you go from hero to bum overnight. It's war not diplomacy.

Can the guy play. Will he work and develop. If he becomes a great player will he become a good man? TBD...
    I loved Joe Namath, Joe Namath was a dynamic, amazingly entertaining athlete. He was also a tragic figure as a man. We all want to like these guys and think they are great human beings. Some of them are but most of them are simply great athletes with a skill. If they are good enough and have empathy they can transcend into something more. If they can't I'm still rooting for the laundry. Empathy may or may not be a measurable skill for an NFL QB. Certainly the NFL would like to promote the league as a caring league. Even that isn't really about empathy, it's self promotion.

Part of the projection to the next level is how long will it take these boys to become men and can they compete with other men who want to take away their livelihood every day in practice and every week at game time.

NCJetsfan, Dierking and Noam like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree its possible to be a good QB and be a narcissist without any developed empathy skills. It will just be harder to succeed. One can play without a left hand it will just be harder. One of the tests the Jets allegedly used on drafted players was how they treated the driver who drove the drafted player from the airport to the Jets complex and the secretary and all the small people they would come into contact. Each encounter was graded. One of the the big reasons we allegedly drafted Revis was how well he treated people. It is a big part of the process. Being mature, being empathetic, treating others with respect, being a caring human being, willing to sacrifice yourself for others and the team and listening to what others have to say are all important as a football player.
    One of the big criticisms of Rosen is the perception that he is not liked, lakes empathy, does not get along with others and is self centered. These perceived flaws are some of the biggest tests he will have to answer in the pre-draft process.

One interesting side point I want to add is they have done tests on criminals and the one important trait they lack on average is a fully developed sense of empathy. This might be simply from that it is hard to care about others when you are just trying to survive. Interestingly Republicans also had this same lack of empathy when tested and compared to normal human beings.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not to make light of your post which I really liked. While I loved Revis the player, I always consider him a mercenary with not a care at all about who paid him. He's one of the few Jets who will go into the HOF and I don't even consider him a Jets player. I consider him a professional NFL CB for hire. He should go into the HOF wearing the NFL logo.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Clearly you don’t know what entitled means by this very post. Believing you know more than others has zero to do with feeling you are entitled to something.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol just keep on Trumpin

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well ur wrong JetBlue. I know you hate to be wrong, but you are

7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I have to go with Allen. I honestly see him falling out of the top 10, despite the silly mocks that have him going 1 overall.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Not in the least. Your description is indicative if someone who is pompous or self absorbed, none of which applies to the concept of being entitled which is defined as
    believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Even the example in the definition separates those two different concepts — pompous and entitlement:
    "his pompous, entitled attitude.”

If pompous and entitled meant the same thing it would be redundant to mention them both in the example.

And just to ensure you are clear, the definition of pompous is affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important.

Clearly you are describing behavior that is, by definition, pompous, not entitled.

9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

in this scenario, the "industry expert" that thinks that they shouldnt be questioned simply because of their title and/or tenure is the entitled one

every article ive read about rosen has mentioned his fondness for debate. asking questions and challenging someones opinions does not make one entitled ... its actually a great way for both parties to learn from one another

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mickey Mantle is another example of a tragic figure as a man who was an amazing athlete. If he hadn't torn his knees up and been an alcoholic, there's no telling what records he would have set.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I agree, but LOL pushback coming in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Noam likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You know you're getting old when the current coaches are younger than you are.:(

14. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I'm not the clueless one, you own that title.
    I'm sure I can dig up your so called insight on Hack, which was clearly off by a huge margin. I'm not lying about it, that also belongs to you.
    But since I was right about him and you were clearly wrong, it is my duty to rub it in your face considering how dumb I was suppose to be pertaining to the QB position. You tend to call people stupid when it comes to objecting to your opinions as if you are some sort of QB master.
    You may have some people fooled, I'm not one of them.
    Being offensive after you are wrong, or denying that you are wrong after you clearly were, is exactly what I knew you would respond.
    One thing is for sure, you don't handle being wrong as well as a 10 year old boy.
    Mayfield's only hope of becoming a franchise QB that can carry a team that is in the shape our team is, is if you were to work with him one on one. Reach out to him, I'm sure he knows your knowledge can elevate him to something beyond Mariota.
    Hahaha

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

You have an answer for everything and think you know it all.

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'm confused by this floor comp. So are we saying that Jamarcus Russell would have been a bust even without the sizzurp? I've always been of the belief that Russell failed because of his lack of discipline, work ethic and intellect not necessarily because of a lack of talent. By all accounts Allen doesn't carry any of that baggage. Isn't safe to assume that Russell would have at worst developed in a serviceable back-up or even starter had he had better intangibles?

boozer32 likes this.
  17. legler82

I love how Orlovsky has become the unquestioned expert on QBs. I don't think I've ever heard someone cite Orlovsky in any draft to his negative take on Allen. Somehow his opinion holds more weight than other QBs like Phil or Chris Simms.

#97 legler82, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Is he wrong?

I could understand if I were quoting him without context, but shut the audio off and watch the video. What do you see?

Have either of the Simms refuted Orlovsky in this case? Have they broken down this play to show why Orlovsky is an idiot and that what Orlovsky identified as an issue, and provided an example of, is actually Josh Allen just exercising divine recognition and patience?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. legler82

No one is wrong, right or an idiot just varied opinions. One could also interpret that play as Allen passing on a hot read (it does look as if he looked at it) that would have yielded a very minimal gain in the hopes of maybe making a bigger play downfield field. They were in the midst of getting blown the f*ck out by a team that they had no business being on the same field with from a talent perspective. OR he was "surprised" by the blitz like Orlovsky so astutely assesses. I will say it takes a special type of evaluation skill to determine what a QB's emotions is on a play without actually having a discussion with said player. A skill I and probably 99% of evaluators lack. Orlovsky can make a lot of money with this skill. He shouldn't be wasting it on social media.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/with-17-days-until-the-draft-its-nit-picking-time/

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

So Simms didn't disagree, just weighted it differently. Sounds like a lot of what happens here.

And you are right, no one can truly know what is in his mind at the moment. All you can see is body language and whether incidents like that show up repeatedly.