Which QB has the LOWEST Floor?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 16, 2018.

?

Which QB has the LOWEST Floor?

1. Josh Rosen

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Sam Darnold

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Baker Mayfield

24 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Josh Allen

61 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My intentions and Rosen's intentions have nothing to do with the question of whether or not his statement was immature. The point about privilege is simply how his comments will be perceived by those his words may offend. Not to mention that is one of the perceptions or criticisms of himself coming into the draft process that he needs to change in NFL decision maker minds. That he does not perceive himself as better than others and is likable. When he is sloppy with his words and thoughts they will have consequences and will offend people. You are the one who instead are trying to twist the conversation into some kind of right wing talking point about white reverse discrimination or PC discussion to suit your agenda and create drama which has nothing to do with the topic of conversation. Again if you have issues or problems I suggest you find a friend to talk to as I have no desire or inclination to talk with you about any of these subjects as they have nothing to do with the topic in question of whether or not Rosen's statement about McDonald's was immature.

#61 Noam, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I was not aware of this huge difference. Can you explain it to me?

Curtis Martin made plenty of money to retire and take care of his family well before he retired, but he kept playing. Rosen wants to win more titles than Tom Brady. He has plenty of money, so he could buy 7 super bowl rings at Vegas pawn shops--so he must be interested in competing. I don't know his motivations to play, but I know they don't really matter, as long as they exist. Curtis Martin wanted to provide a better life for the people he cared about. Barry Sanders wanted his dad to give him a compliment at some point in his life. Steve Young wanted out from under Joe Montana's shadow. Tom Landry wanted to prove he was smarter than Vince Lombardi.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The biggest thing is not the successes but the challenges. Of course Rosen talks a big game about wanting to win superbowls. everyone does. that's the fun part.

But when you are 5-7, its the middle of the week in November, you look outside and there's like freakin slushy grey snow everywhere. The media's ripping into the team. Maybe you are dealing with an injury. Cimini's writing from "anonymous sources" that Rosen and the coaching staff aren't getting along (true or not) is this SOFT california, rich kid, going to be able to rise above this, work his ass off during the week through mundane practices so the team can win 4 in a row and get in the playoffs??

idk... but in the example of Curtis Martin he was able to rise above challenges like that, especially early in his career, because he knew he had to if he wanted to have a better life- the ultimate motivator. Tom Brady rises above challenges like that because he loves football and/or absolutely despises losing. If Rosen doesn't have any of those type of motivators, how is he going to be resilient in those situations???

I don't think anyone really knows that answer here, but the Jets HAVE to find this out

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Totally agree about Curtis. What made him so special was his consistency and his reliability. He was never the fastest, the strongest, the most agile, the most physically gifted running back in the NFL. Despite this, he was a ROCK who never had significant ups and downs. He stayed healthy, kept his body in great shape, and worked his ass off to be consistent in his game. Curtis Martin was the pinnacle of professionalism and potentially the greatest role model to come through the Jets in my life time.

Curtis shows that innate ability isn't as important as your approach to your career. The attitude you possess and the work you put in, the consistency in which you approach your job can enable you to overcome any and every challenge that you face. This goes beyond football to all walks of life. Curtis was the man.

Every single rookie in this draft class would benefit from learning from the Curtis Martin experience. Don't worry about your strengths and weaknesses; put in the work, both on your mind and your body. Stay consistent with your work and keep your priorities straight. Do this, and you will find success.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

He’s rich and possibly a prick, but there is no indication he is entitled and believes he is deserving of the things he has.

The financial argument is just a contrived argument to raise concern. Klay Thompson and Steph Curry had no financial need to play basketball and they are arguably two best of the shooters we’ve ever seen. Desire simply is not dependent on financial need, so the financial concern is absolutely irrelevant.

Granted you qualified your argument with desire, but the only question about his desire to play has been based on financial need; without that there is no concern about his desire.

6. BrowningNagle

There is indication he is entitled. Look at what Dilfer said about him and what his college coach said about him. Now- its being chalked up as him being a "millennial" and intelligent, wanting to understand the whole picture.

But in any other circumstance or field of work, a punk college kid calling out and/or being abrasive to experienced professionals in their area of expertise, we would call that entitlement.

--

I would also add that the "millennial" excuse is a weak one on another level. All of these prospects are millennials. Not all of them act entitled like Rosen

xxedge72x and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. TwoHeadedMonster

Most, though not all, research groups have the "millennial generation" cut off at 1996 or earlier (1991, 1994, and 1996 are the most common). Rosen was born in 1997, so most sociologists wouldn't even consider him a "millennial".

Technically correct is the best kind of correct....

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They said the same thing about Joe Pendleton in Heaven can wait.

9. BrowningNagle

he was born in 1997. my God, I feel so old

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You know you're getting old when current players are younger than you are. :p

11. TwoHeadedMonster

I had that feeling when I saw that Mangold is younger than I, and retired.

BrowningNagle and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. Growing up in a family with two high achieving parents who take education and success seriously makes you soft and destined to failure. I suppose the flip side of that is a kid who grew up in a single family home with a parent abusing drugs is going to be tough enough to survive the barbs of Cimini and a 5 and 7 record in November. I think it's a highly suspect theory and might actually be ass backwards.

FYI Tom Brady was never 5 and 7 in the middle of November and he grew up in California and had nice parents.

13. BrowningNagle

he's not destined for failure. On the contrary, he is set up nicely for success in his life. But that doesn't mean that success will come in football.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean it won't. I think coming from a high achieving family is a huge plus.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You stop. You are clearly clueless when it comes to judging QBs.

I won't respond to any of your stupid BS except to say that with regards to Hack, I was just trying to rationalize why Mac picked him. I had not rooted for him to be drafted by the Jets, and had not even considered him, so quit lying and trying to make it seem that I was in favor of Hack being drafted. You truly are desperate to discredit my opinion. You obviously know how wrong you are, and how right I am.

Noam likes this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Then you would be misusing and misunderstanding what entitled means. Entitled is not a generic or broad term that can simply be applied to any negative behavior that you want to point out. Being entitled means to believe you are deserving of something. Calling out experienced professionals does not reflect an attitude that he deserves something? What exactly does he believe he deserves by calling someone out?

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I almost completely agree with the sentiment expressed above, but disagree on your definition of maturity. What you call immaturity, I call thoughtlessness, shallowness, selfishness, self-centeredness, lack of empathy/compassion, and possibly a form of narcissism. I've never seen any definition of "immaturity" read the way you do, but I'm not saying that you're wrong. It's interesting to ponder. If you're correct, then there are a lot of "immature" people out there 30 years old and older through nonagenarians.

Noam likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

I know exactly what entitled means. When you've accomplished nothing and you are calling out industry experts you believe your opinion matters more than theirs. That your opinion is deserving of its merit.

a less entitled person would keep opinions to themselves and try to learn from others in that situation

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Maturity is like many things in the eye of the beholder. I would argue what defines maturity is empathy for others. Thinking about others rather than simply yourself. What works against a young person and keeps them immature is they spend so much time focused on themselves they can see very little other than their own wants or needs. The human brain does not fully mature in a male until age of 25 where they can develop a full sense of maturity.I would go go further and add in lack of discipline, failure to except responsibility, honesty, acceptance and more. But I would begin with empathy. IMO empathy is the building block of a human being and that it is the most important trait a human being has and what separates so called good and bad people. I know when I am at my best is when I am the most empathetic and care the most for others and listen much better. Oh and I agree there are lots of people that never mature.

One thing that has always impressed me about your posts is your displays of empathy and respect for other posters on this board. This IMO separates your posts from many others.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

entitled is baker mayfield saying he shuldn't have to compete for the starting job because he felt he already earned it, and then transferring out of the college to avoid it. that's entitlement.

101GangGreen101 and JetBlue like this.