Which QB has the LOWEST Floor?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 16, 2018.

?

Which QB has the LOWEST Floor?

1. Josh Rosen

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Sam Darnold

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Baker Mayfield

24 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Josh Allen

61 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

There are quite a few threads that discuss everyone's preferences on which QB will end up being the best or which one deserves to go first. One topic I haven't seen too much discussion on is which QB out of the perceived big 4 has the lowest floor.

With QB's we tend to have a pretty broad spectrum...i.e. Brady, Rodgers, Brees is elite....Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Cousins very good,.....Eli Manning, Derek Carr solid.....Josh Mccown, Keenum servicable....then we start getting into backup types like colt mccoy, chase daniel.....then busts all together.

If the question is, which QB has the chance to really bomb to the point where he doesn't see the field like Hack or may lack what it takes all together, who would you pick?

Just curious.

2. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

I voted Josh Allen. I also believe he has the highest ceiling.

CotcheryFan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Allen has a Hackenberg floor. And there is no way you can possibly get any lower.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i voted for mayfield because i dont think he will be any good, however i will say this. rosen is the guy i think will be the best of these qbs, however if concussions become an issue he may end up having the lowest floor. but if i were the jets i would take thatrisk all day and twice on thursday.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would argue that Allen's realistic ceiling is the floor for the other 3 QBs. If we use the term ceiling to say potential than almost every QB has an unlimited Tom Brady potential as QBing is 98% mental. But a better term is realistic ceiling. The ability to improve upon some if not most of a QBs deficiencies. The problems for Allen he has a lot of deficiencies. He is a QB that has great measureables but is lacking in the ability to play QB. He lacks accuracy, pocket presence, ability to throw with anticipation, understanding of defenses, was criticized for not being able to call basic line protections, not able to process information quickly, not being able to throw with touch, panics under pressure and runs out of the pocket when not necessary. The odds of Allen learning even rudimentary aspects of how to play QB and process information in a timely manner is very low. If everything goes well for him and he suddenly gets it his realistic ceiling is a guy like Blake Bortles or maybe that of a decent back-up QB. If not for his measureables its very unlikely Allen would be drafted.

Edit: That long paragraph and I did not answer the question:
    1. Allen
    2. Mayfield
    3. Rosen.

#5 Noam, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. CR8ZMike

CR8ZMike Member

For me it's Allen by a landslide. I'm perplexed because people seriously don't think having anticipation is important. He has zero. No pocket presence (every "good" throw is him heaving it downfield running towards the sideline) he stinks IMO. Obv next is Mayfield.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL I can't believe (well, sadly, I can) that 7 posters said that Mayfield has the lowest floor. ROFLMAO!!!! Allen clearly has the lowest floor. Darnold is next. He only has 1 1/2 seasons starting experience, has small hands, and a penchant for turning the ball over. He regressed this past season.

Mayfield mastered the OK offense. None of the other 3 top QBs can even begin to say that they mastered their offense. Mayfield is already playing on an NFL level, Rosen the second highest level, with Darnold the 3rd and Allen rock bottom.

Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I wish we could select multiple because out of those 4, i think both allen and mayfield have really low floors

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Good thread, but first I think you need to quantify the worst case scenario for each player and how those worst cases compare to each other.

Allen's worst case scenario I believe is that he looks like Tarzan and plays like Jamarcus, minus the codeine cough syrup. His accuracy and decision making are his biggest issues and he has a large mountain to climb to get over those proven issues.

Rosen's worst case scenario is that he's playing the NFL for some quick money and notoriety that lead to an NCAA broadcasting career that doesnt lead to multiple head injuries for the son of a spine surgeon, after a 4 year or less apathetic NFL existence.

Mayfield's worst case is a more talented version of Manziel, but could look just as ugly in NY. He's the most volatile personality, and could make a dumpster fire look like a scent candle in the wrong circumstances.

The first three have big booms and big busts, while Darnold has a much higher floor than all of them. He's the one that is expected to go 1 overall because of it, the other 3 is a pick your poison sort of thing.

The Rosen one is the one that would piss me off the worst, though.

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Very nice analysis. I agree on all points.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Allen has the lowest floor.

I think Darnold's floor is Mark Sanchez, or maybe to be a bit more fair Mark Sanchez post-injuries.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Looks like the consensus least likely to bust is Rosen.

Red Menace, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree 100% about the bold claim. Rosen has mastered the UCLA offense - a pro-based one, and did so quickly.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I can't see Darnold letting himself get as bad as busted Sanchez. Worst case I see him as a below average QB who we shouldn't give a big contract to but do anyway because he's better than Sanchez and Geno were.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think Rosen, Darnold and Allen will all see some significant time as a starting QB for some team during their careers.

The only one I can see potentially not even living up to that is Mayfield.

16. FrontOfficeFanatic

On the money right here! The injury history is my only concern with him. Other than that, I see him as the safest prospect overall.

alleycat9 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  17. FrontOfficeFanatic

Love this post! I think you were able to add depth and some good perspective to what I was trying to gather through the poll. I think you and I share the same concerns with each prospect. I worry more about Rosen's actual injury history and the fact he doesn't evade hits like the other guys. He's my safest though, besides those factors. Thanks!

Noam likes this.
  18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Allen has the highest chance to be an inaccurate, INT throwing machine.

JetsFan, CotcheryFan and Noam like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That will be the toughest call for Mac if it's between Baker or Josh R..both of whom I think are great

Is Josh R really "safer"? Absolutely debatable ..pro ready? Talented? YES ...if he's made of GLASS it does us NO good ...Plus what is Macagnan doing for beefing up our OL besides resigning 3 vets and Long from the Redskins??? Maybe that's a clue he wants a more DURABLE product

Taking Rosen is also inheriting his family who are uber intelligent..I know it's no longer Pop Warner but they will remind son of potential head scrambling..and he exits Football...Is this probable? Maybe not ..but altogether possible

Mayfield has plenty of talent just not as tall as Josh R...but has longer shelf life after dozens of NFL hits

Jackson
    Allen
    Darnold
    Rosen
    Mayfield

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lowest floor is obviously Josh Allen. He has accuracy issues. If he can't complete passes, he can't play. Similar to Hackenberg. Ranking them it would be
    1. Allen
    2. Mayfield
    3. Rosen
    4. Darnold

The difference with Allen is if he DOES complete passes and fix his accuracy, then he could be the best QB in the NFL.