Which QB do you want the Jets to Draft #3?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Mar 18, 2018.

?

What QB would you like to see drafted #3 by Jets

1. Darnold

15.7%
  2. Rosen

45.0%
  3. Mayfield

27.9%
  4. Allen

11.4%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I say that the Jets already have one guy of that type in Bridgewater. The only questions there are his health and can he play at his pre-injury 2016 level.

I think the QB in the draft that has that attitude the most is Mayfield. He walked on at Texas Tech and won the starting job. He walked on at Oklahoma and won the starting job. He wants it. He's a fiery competitor, moreso than any of the other QBs.

Leicester Jet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

I'm totally aware of Rosen's concussion issues. That's one of the main reasons why I prefer Mayfield over Rosen. His skinny frame and lack of mobility are also big concerns for me, and the fact that he doesn't win on the road and hasn't won in cold, bad weather. I'm also aware of his penchant for just throwing the ball up for grabs when he gets behind.

I'm aware of Darnold's small hands and how he is careless with the football resulting in fumbles and interceptions. I'm also aware of Darnold's throwing motion that can result in even more interceptions in the NFL and how difficult it is to change a throwing motion. I'm aware that he only has 1 1/2 seasons of collegiate starting experience. I'm also aware of the history of USC QBs in the NFL. He does have good size, a strong enough arm, excellent accuracy, and is very good at extending plays/creativity.

I'm aware of Allen's poor accuracy/completion percentage, slow processing/reading of Ds and decision making, his playing against a lower level of competition, and of how he's not really an ideal fit for a WCO. Mac may love him because of his size, athleticism and cannon for an arm, and he does have some attributes that could work well in Bates' version of the WCO, but he'd still be a huge risk because of his accuracy issues on short throws. We've already had a QB we drafted high who couldn't complete screen passes and short passes (Sanchez). I wouldn't think that we'd want another.

I'm very aware of Mayfield's great accuracy, ability to sustain plays/creativity, his strong arm that can make all the throws, his maneuverability, his high football IQ, his fiery competitiveness, and his leadership. Conversely I'm also aware that he needs to get better in seeing the blitz and will have to learn to read more complex NFL Ds (as every QB in this draft class will have to do). I'm also aware that he will have to adapt to taking snaps from under center, calling plays in the huddle, and that he's only 6'0".

In my opinion, Mayfield is the best and safest QB prospect in this draft. Darnold and Rosen are flashier and have all the hype, but I think that Mayfield will wind up being the best QB of the group in the NFL, and which ever team he plays for will be a winner.

I have them rated in this order:

1) Mayfield
    2) Tie Darnold and Rosen
    3) Allen

Leicester Jet, Brook! and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Could be!

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This looks like a highlite tape of the season rather than 1 game:)

5. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I don't have much faith in our ability to develop a QB. There's one QB that can potentially succeed in spite of our developmental limitations. That QB is Rosen.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bucky Brooks had a segment today from the NFL Network reasoning the Jets moved up to 3 TO GET BAKER MAYFIELD...His reasoning was MM was going in an OPPOSITE a direction from the proverbial prototype e.g. Hackenberg/Allen ...I think the top 3 teams take QBs without a doubt.and WE ALL can guess the prob order of things..so it's Mayfield to the Jets!!
    Also heard an analysis on NFL radio saying Josh Allen is what the Giants want..sit behind Eli and take time to develop

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This guy must not know what he is talking about because he said Allen was "very good at screen game". According to the scouts on this board he can't throw a screen or short passes. He also mentioned Allen is excellent on rhythm throws, the staple of the WCO. But the TGG scouts say he is a terrible fit. Very confusing.

Pretty good eval though. He doesn't see next level QB'ing from Allen which is fair. It will be interesting to see if he develops any of that down the line.

9. The games ive watched Ive seen very little in the way of any short throws/Screens to even evaluate him in that aspect. I know there was a video of an errant screen throw posted..but other than that I've seen nothing in terms of any high percentage passes.

I've also never once seen Allen in any sort of throwing Rhythm b.c of the emphasis on a downfield attack w.o the necessary horses.Hard to know if he's a rhythm thrower or not.I'll say that he has good command of the offense if one considers that Rhythm but in terms of spreading the ball around the lot w. tempo...haven't seen anything like that.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think unless he suffers a terrible injury, is rushed and ruined or ends up somewhere with a poor offensive line and gets pounded (like Bernie Kosor or David Carr or something) Josh Allen is going to be a very good pro quarterback. My opinion is that the only way he's a bust is if he gets butchered and that would be the fault of the team that invests in him. To that end it seems to me like the Jets would be a fantastic fit for him with McCown and Bridgewater around to bring him along slowly and not ruin him before he's ready.

All time great? I don't know about that. But my opinion is that his baseline is a solid middle of the pack NFL starter with plenty of room to do much better than that. I'll also go out on a limb and guess he'll be throwing NFL passes long after Josh Rosen is no longer doing so.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was surprised at the positive comments he had about Allen's screen passing and rhythm throws, but he did show it in the tape so he is capable. Do these things break down under pressure though?

His lack of vision, and his tendency to bail out and try to use his legs instead of fighting to get the pass off are a problem, and will probably get worse with pro pass rushes.

Per your earlier post, I can see where Macc & Bowles would prefer Allen if they're going to use the WCO, but I also believe Rosen and Mayfield can quickly adapt to that too.

12. stingly

stingly New Member

What the Jets have done IMO is set up their fans for 10 years of I told you so.

If who they draft works then it will be amazing for Jets fans, if it doesn't then it will suck for the next ten years.

I really would enjoy this board to keep a scoreboard of users who hate the trade, users who wanted X QB, and users who wanted Barkley. So when the results are in three years from now there won't be any question on where folks stood.

Good luck to you younger Jets fans, this trade/draft is going to define your Fandom for a while.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Strngplyr.

You could have at least changed your faggoty username a little bit.

Go get banned somewhere else.

14. The lack of vision is a concern & something that will need to be vetted. The bail out w. the legs I take w. a grain of salt. Often times physically superior QBs playing in overmatched offenses will be encouraged by a coaching staff to rely on their natural ability when things break down.

As for Mayfield & Rosen in the Shanahan WCO.. Do i think they could adapt?Yes. Do I think it's a good idea? I'm not so sure. It's a whole different ball game for a QB once they leave the pocket as they will undoubtedly be punished by defenders repeatedly. Allen is a big strong guy built for a pounding w. enough Agility to make tacklers miss. Mayfield is not a big guy by any means & may not hold up to that sort of pounding.Rosen has good movement on drop backs & does a good job of climbing the pocket..but the mobility ends there. Beyond that w. his durability concerns..I think we'd be better off keeping him in the pocket w. a clean windshield...

legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. stingly

stingly New Member

I'm not who you think, but ban me if you like. What did I say was disagreeable ?

Angry much ?

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This may have been mentioned already but I'm not gonna read thru all the different stuff and threads.

Fwiw. I just saw Ralph Vacchiano on SNY say he 'was told' that the trade was about them having a definite interest in three guys and felt they were all close: Darnold, Rosen, and.......Allen.
    Said they like him a lot. Vacchiano is one of the better guys I think. He's fair and objective and I've never seen him with any kind of agenda or bullshit to grab attention. I don't follow him but see him on SNY

At this time I am now keeping my fingers crossed for Darnold somehow. I'm kinda expecting this to play out true.

17. abyzmul

Aside from being a trolling douche?

At least you didn't pretend to be a Jets fan like most trolling douches.

You get half a point for that.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There are versions of the WCO that they could adapt to better fit Rosen or Mayfield, but I hope they're not going to try and fit a square peg into a round hole. If Allen fits their scheme and they're comfortable he can improve in the areas that he struggles with, then I hope they're right. But if he has these issues playing against the competition he faced, how can we expect him to improve against much better and faster competition?

To put it in other terms, if a guy in the minor leagues struggles with hitting a curve ball, they don't promote him anyway figuring that he'll learn OTJ against much better pitchers. I think he should've stayed in school another year to clean up these questions.

19. stingly

stingly New Member

Not sure how what I said was being a Douche. Whatever.

My only point as a visitor to this forum, was regardless, three years from now the fortunes of the Jets is going to be defined by this trade and this draft.

I think it would be great if folks put their faggoty opinions in now.

20. abyzmul

Stop asking for help, goofball. You can't even figure out how to remove than stupid auto signature.

Maybe after you figure that out, you can pretend to be a fan of a team other than the Patriots to try to prove me wrong.