Which Day 3 Pick Could Make the Quickest Impact

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 11, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Loved the Nickerson pick, but imo the best day 3 pickup wasn't in the draft, it was Dimitri Flowers. I think he has a shot to be a day 1 starter on this team.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The more I read about Flowers, the more I like ... I saw a few of his performances obviously with Baker, but this kid has some soft hands. If we involve him the right way, he could be like Kyle Juszczyk from the 49ers. They use him on bootlegs, PA passes, blocking, and super versatile.

If we are taking anything from the 49ers page, I am happy to see it. They are big time innovators.

xxedge72x likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree I think he can contribute early.

Of the drafted Players I would say Foley could make the D line rotation and Cannon could have early impact if he wins the returner job, but if he does not win that battle he most likely is off the team.

101GangGreen101 and xxedge72x like this.
  5. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

It will be Nickerson.

With Claiborne's injury history, I think he will be pushed into the rotation at CB.

If we're going with UDFA's, Flowers might be the pick if he can beat out Lawrence Thomas, but Nickerson will compete for time. I think he will take Darryl Roberts' or Justin Burris' roster spot.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

xxedge72x likes this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Darnold, like Mayfield, excels over the middle of the field. I’ll be watching Leggett, Herndon and Flowers closely in the preseason. Hopefully one or more of them can step up as that move the sticks guy.

themorey and Noam like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Lately I'm watching a lot of USC Darnold and it seems like one of his favorite quick passes is a quick seam pass. You need a TE/Hback that can get off defenders and quickly get up that seam, and every time I would see one of these passes I could easily see Flowers as the guy getting there.

Against better judgment, I'm getting excited about Flowers, and not just because he's a local guy for me.

themorey likes this.
  9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

It will be Parry "Ballhawk" Nickerson. <<<Sets down the green kool-aid and lets out a belch like "Booger" in revenge of the nerds.>>>

#9 playtowinthegame, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Walt White likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I agree, Darnold and Flowers seem to have skill sets that complement each other well. I’m hoping the latter shows enough in camp to stick around.

I also hope Bates uses Enunwa in a similar capacity to how Gailey used him, as an H-back who played a ton of snaps in the slot as opposed to a traditional receiver. I can see Darnold-Enunwa being a very effective connection if he’s in that hybrid role again.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would’ve been excited about Flowers if he was Jets 4th rd pick, still can’t really understand why he wasn’t drafted at all. I do have hopes that he can make an immediate impact and be a big part of the future offense.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

That's exactly what the Jets see. When Kyle Juszczyk became a UFA the Jets went hard trying to sign him.

Flowers was considered by many the best FB in the draft

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Also very excited about Trenton Cannon

Jets are eyeing either Cannon or Elijah McGuire to become the next Powell.

Plus Trent Cannon is just an awesome football name

KurtTheJetsFan and abyzmul like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Interesting how FBs are making a comeback the last couple of years. Glad theres value to the position again.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good call! But that's fucking disgusting...

lmfaol

playtowinthegame likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You tryna say BOOGER??

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don’t know about Cannon playing a traditional RB role. Powell is 5’10” and 204 and Cannon is 5’11” and only 185. He’s very slight for a lead back type role. I can see him used sparingly as a RB but making an impact in the return game.

18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Pefect fit for the west coast offense.

19. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/10/3-things-to-know-about-new-jets-udfa-dimitri-flowers/

3 things to know about new Jets UDFA Dimitri Flowers

By Tyler Calvaruso | May 10, 2018 8:23 am ET

The New York Jets and general manager Mike Maccagnan made a savvy move on Wednesday afternoon, inking versatile undrafted free agent fullback Dimitri Flowers to a deal.

Last season, Flowers served as Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield’s safety net out of the backfield and a leader in the locker room for a team that made it to the College Football Playoff semifinals.

Despite his status as a UDFA, Flowers finds himself in a very good position to make the team if all goes well as the summer progresses. With that being said, let’s get to know a bit more about New York’s newest addition.

Elite Lineage

The NFL is worlds different than playing in the Big 12, but that won’t phase Flowers considering football is in his blood.

Flowers’ father, Erik, was the Buffalo Bills’ No. 26 overall pick out of Arizona State in 2000. As a linebacker, Flowers amassed 58 games played for the Bills, Texans and Rams over his five-year career.

Aside from his father, Flowers’ cousin, Tre, is set to embark on an NFL journey of his own. A star safety at Oklahoma State this past season, Tre was selected in the fifth round of the 2018 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks.

Swiss Army Knife

Prior to arriving at Oklahoma, Flowers had no previous experience as a fullback.

In his high school days at Churchill High School in San Antonio, Flowers spent his days lined up as a wildcat quarterback, running back and wide receiver. The two-sport star also played center field for the school’s baseball team in the spring.

“I never blocked in high school, or rarely did,” Flowers told reporters following New York’s rookie minicamp. “Getting to Oklahoma, it took me a little while to adjust to playing that role. But I think I picked it up pretty well.”

A quarterback’s best friend

When thinking of a fullback, most fans think of a lead blocker who occasionally carries the ball in short-yardage situations down around the goal line. A first-team All-Big 12 selection in his senior year, Flowers didn’t earn those honors for his skills as a blocker or runner, but as a receiver instead.

In his four years at Oklahoma, Flowers caught 54 passes for 886 yards and 13 touchdowns. With Baker Mayfield under center, Flowers developed into a reliable option as a check-down threat thanks to his sure hands.

“I never dropped a ball in college, and actually I’m tied with DeMarco Murray for receiving touchdowns by a running back at Oklahoma,” Flowers said. “It’s something I’ve always taken pride in. I don’t always get a lot of opportunities, so I have to take advantage of them.”

Offtopic: USA Today is super annoying with splitting short articles into five pages...

101GangGreen101 and xxedge72x like this.
  20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Thanks for catching that booger mispell. :D