Which Call/No Call was Worse?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Ralebird, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Was it the pas interference not called against the Rams in their win or was it the phantom roughing the passer called on the Chiefs. The league has already been reported as admitting the NFC game no call was wrong; will they do the same with the game changing roughing call?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Clearly the Non-Call PI against the Rams was the worst call. It was probably one of the worst calls I have ever seen. One thing I will say is the Saints did not play particularly great against the Eagles or Rams. They had plenty of chances to put the Rams away before that PI even played a factor. Then they had the ball in OT and threw an INT. Can't just blame that non-call.

Same with the Chiefs. Obviously their defense was a flat out embarrassment and their offense did not wake up until the 3rd Quarter. The refs were bad, but not the only reason for the end results.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

What he said. The non-call against the Rams was about a billion times worse. The phantom roughing the passer call was bad, of course, but easily understandable (his arm actually slightly brushed Brady's facemask), and is balanced out by several non-calls on penalties by the Chiefs (the blatant pick play, the clear PI against Gronkowski on the deep pass down the sideline). The worst penalty in the Chiefs game was unfortunately the correct call - when the moron Dee Ford lined up about 10 feet offside on the play where Brady was intercepted for the third time.

There is no explanation for the non-call on the PI by the Rams, and the fact that no other official came over and told the referee about it is criminal (I refuse to believe that no one else saw it - it was that obvious).

4. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ke-action-over-rams-saints-outcome-in-theory/

I am interested to see where this goes from here, will this die out, or will became bigger and bigger to the point the NFL cannot control it? Could this overtake the Super Bowl and be the talk of the Super Bowl? A lot of quirky things happen in the NFL, and usually a week later, no one cares or remembers. This whole Super Bowl has an asterisk over it. The Rams do not deserve to be playing in it, and the Patriots do not deserve to avoid playing the Saints. Whoever wins, it doesn't matter, the real Super Bowl, and only Super Bowl is a Super Bowl in which the Saints are rightfully playing in it.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They both were bad, but no question that the non-PI was MUCH worse. If that is called (or the ball was caught) it essentially ices the game, barring the random chance of a missed chipshot FG (worst case scenario) as the Saints get a new set of downs to run out the clock.

I'm usually have the "let them play" and feel that TOO MANY flags get thrown.... but that was horrible. If the JETS had that guys handling their games, Buster Skrine would be all-pro :confused:

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The no call on the targeting to the head in the Saints game was awful. The league has put a premium on stopping head hunting and that was a classic case of head hunting. There should have been 2 penalties on that play. PI and a personal foul. While PI is often at the discretion of the ref, targeting and head to head contact has been outlawed by the league. That was an example of what the league is trying to stop.

The head shot in the Pats/Chiefs game was a completely unprofessional call. If you don't see it don't call it. The ref didn't see it because it didn't happen. He anticipated it. That's something that happens in friendly tennis games on lines calls all the time. Thats also why you have professional refs. They are trained to not call things they don't actually see.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The phantom PI call was exactly what is wrong with today's NFL.

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The one in the Saints game.

Still it's not why the home teams lost. Both home teams choked and deserved to lose.

The Saints blew a 13-0 lead, had many many opportunities to seal the deal. KC's vaunted offense literally did nothing in the first half yesterday 0 points, 38 yards in the first half I saw somewhere incredibly bad no-show performance.

The better teams won.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The non PI in the Saints game was worse as it would've allowed them to give the Rams little to no time for a response.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Both were pretty atrocious but that helmet to helmet hit on the defenseless receiver before he had a chance to catch it was egregious and blatant and literally cost them the game.

I could understand the other one due to having a bad angle on the play and it appearing like he hit him in the helmet, but it was still barely even a tap on his shoulder. It's one thing to hit somebody in the helmet with your helmet or grab the face mask, but barely tapping somebody on the helmet when going to try to block the pass is ridiculous.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I know it wasn't a penalty or missed penalty but how do they overturn the punt that went off Edelman's thumb? I can understand if they hadn't originally called it as they did because there was no way you can tell for sure.

There is no way they should have overturned that.

Imagesrdecieving and jetophile like this.
  12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

they were both horrible, there were so many other as well though... its fascinating but not surprising that when the management tries as hard as they can to control everything that other things suffer.

my job is like that, they were getting 6 hours of work out of guys, they just HAD to spend a ton of money on tracking devices and computers and programs and everything else to try and squeeze and extra hour out of them. so the workers said oh ok.. then they went and figured out how to beat the control measures and only do 5 hours worth of work...

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There were a number of negligent calls/no calls.

If the owners are going to push for reviewing pass interference, they should roll in all subjective calls/no calls into this.

I would have reviewed the Brady phantom blow to the head as a prime example.

Also, I would roll in offensive line holding into this as well.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

100%. I saw fingertips from left hand, right thumb and right forearm.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont think we need to review more stuff. id actually prefer if they reviewed everything like the college does if they are going to review more stuff. they also need to make it less nitpicky. i say 30 second review, if it isnt obvious enough to figure out in 30 seconds it shouldnt be reversed.

baseball is the worst with this, they wait 45 seconds till they get word from the clubhouse on whether its going to be overturned... nope, you were watching it, you get 10 seconds to decide if you want to challenge it.

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The only way that gets overturned is if they are LOOKING to overturn it.

Replay is "clear and convincing" not "let's look at 5 different angles a dozen times each and form a 3D hologram in our minds to see exactly what happened."

If it is not completely obvious from the first look at each angle the call must stand.

17. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

18. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

They really need a video ref who is basically watching the camera views and can get into the ref huddle via comms.

They should also just make everything challengable, but only allow coaches to get 2 wrong challenges a game. I doubt coaches would be willing to waste those on anything frivolous.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nothing will happen. There's no way Goodell would declare the Saints winners (though the call was that bad that the Saints should be going to the SB), and I can't see how the game could be rescheduled. Even if it could be, it would give the Pats an unfair advantage because whoever they play would be coming off an extra game.

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I was not even getting into what i saw but rather that there was no way it should have been overturned no matter which way it was called. If they had originally said he never touched it i would have had to say there is no way to overturn it since no angle showed definitively whether it was touched or not.

Exactly my thoughts, no way it should be overturned but last 9 minutes of the game so the call must have come down from the commissioners booth.

[​IMG]
    "Don't worry Bill, just do your best and I'll take care of the rest."

Ralebird likes this.