Where's the Beef?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GreenGreek, Jan 8, 2007.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

We need to get bigger and stronger along the lines and in the running game, and I believe that should be addressed in the draft. In my opinion, there's only one way to do that.

1) Trade up and grab Amobi Okoye. We need a big NT in the worst way, and he's the best and potentially only one out there. He won't be around at #26, so we may have to move up to the middle of the first round and grab him.

2) Draft Brian Leonard in Round 2. He's one guy that can potentially fill multiple needs. He could serve as both our FB and potentially platoon with Washington at RB getting either short yardage carries or normal carries. Much like Brad Smith, he can't be taken for granted by defenses, and assumed to only be a blocker. While I would still love to get a full time RB (Bush in the draft or Turner via FA), Leonard would help mitigate the problem if we don't obtain one.

3) Draft a mammoth RT or OG. The right side of our O-line needs improvement, and Kendall is getting up there in age. Ferguson and Mangold are a big step in the right direction, but the O-line still needs work.

We have 4 first day picks, and I'm assuming we need to trade up to get Okoye. However, if we can exit day 1 with Okoye, Leonard and an OG, I think we'd have another great draft on our hands. Our cap room could then be spent on strengthening the pass rush, secondary and possibly RB positions.

2. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

[​IMG]

Sorry...... :breakdance:

3. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I mostly agree with you. Here are my responses:
    1) Okoye should be gone by our pick but he is not the only NT in the draft and we are in no position to give up picks. At this point we need all the players we can get. Instead we could look at a big DE prospect like Carriker or Jamaal Anderson.

2) Brian Leonard will not add beef, he doesn't belong in this argument.

3) I think it is clear that we need some more maulers on the OL as much as we need some more growth from our rookies. The second round should be used to grab at least 1 offensive lineman unless a stud one falls to us in the first in which case we could bypass the position for the rest of the first day.

4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

1) I don't believe we are at a point where "we need all the players we can get." We don't have many FAs, and we have a ton of cap room. We have a solid foundation of good players. It's time to think of more quality than quantity.

2) Brian Leonard is in the argument because in my opinion he could be used as a big, physical running back. By beef, I didn't exclusively mean lineman, but I meant getting bigger and more physical at many positions.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

brian leonard doesnt fit this offense, not at all. hed only be used as a blocker. which doesnt justify picking him 2nd rd.

leonard would have his best success in places like INDY, WAS, ATL

6. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Disagree times 1,000. Schott is very creative with his shifts and motion, and a versite player like Leonard that could line up as his HB, FB, WB, et al would be very valuable to the offense. He's all-around and reminds me of a Mike Alstott that can block better - which is pretty damn good.