When you know, you just know

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Let me know if anyone needs ages, colleges, conferences, 40 times, wiki articles, x-factor quotients, elite-ness or outlandish comparisons.

I could cut and paste them.

NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

to be fair, Ryan was about 3 calls that any decent coach would have made away from a super bowl title

PabloJa and grkmanga31 like this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Amazing that one of the all time great choke jobs by Atlanta coaches coupled with the worst play call in the history of professional sports and Brady has 5 SB wins* and only 3 losses instead of 3 SB wins* and 5 losses.

And he makes claim to be the GOAT.

*Tainted

Jets_Grinch and jonnyd like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

To be fair your post is cut and pasteable now too. :)

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

He's dong alright. The formation has all his targets on the right, except for the WR, who is headed right, and the RB, who is headed left. That means if anybody rushes him from his left, the RB is alone for a big gain, or somebody (most likely the crossing WR or the TE) is wide open. Sam doesn't need to look at him, he just needs to know he's there if anybody rushes him from his left. The WRs on the right are both going deep, and both safties are lined up deep, so there's no reason to look there until one of the safties moves up. He locks onto the crossing WR because that is the key to all the moving parts-- IF the LB had stayed with the route, Sam would have been wrong to attempt that throw. IF the LB had stayed with the route, the TE would have had no underneath coverage and would have been an open target coming back toward the ball. The only other factor would be if one of the safeties moved up, allowing the LBs to cover both underneath targets, which opens up possibilities for either of the deep WRs, or, at worst, means the RB on the left is one-on-one with a corner.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

both stupidities are so infuriating

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Old man, you made me watch the clip again. You owe me! [LOL]

1. RB in the flat is NOT open. I mean, yeah, he is open technically. If Sam threw the ball at him in that situation, I would have screamed [You fucking MORON!]

Sam figured out that the coverage was Cover-2 Man, based on #42 shadowing his RB. When he looks open - he does look open, I can see that - #42 is shadowing him about 10 yards off. So where was the RB? About good 5 yards behind the LoS. If Sam threw the pass at him, it would have resulted in some 2 yard gain at best. Remember, RBs are not WRs. Their hands are not as good as WR's. This necessarily means Sam cannot put a zip on the pass. All the more reason for the LB to come crashing down for a minimal gain.

2. The MLB sitting in the middle is just that - a LB sitting in the middle. Charles Johnson was running behind the LB. Unless the LB took a look behind, he couldn't have known what the hell was going on behind him. Sam waited just a little, just to make sure that the LB cannot jump on the ball. [This is called DRIVE route, by the way. Not DRY.]

All in all, the read was perfect, and the pass was also impeccable.

So why did Sam 'lock on' his Drive-route WR? That's because his all other options are basically dead. You don't need to look at the dead options just to make a live one succeed.

3. The first TD pass drop: Frankly, I thought that pass was 100% on the TE. If the QB hits the receiver by the number, the QB has done his job. It then falls on the receiver to come down with it. He failed. Simple as that. If you watch that segment with slow-mo, you will clearly see the ball coming straight through both hands. That's inexcusable. It's not even like the TE had to JUMP to get the ball high. NO. Yes, the ball was higher than chest height. I get that. But that's about it. That was a catch-able TD pass. That drop is not on Sam.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Thanks for your response.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you regarding the RB. The LOS was the Falcons' 48 yard line. The RB was at the 50 and the LB was at the 45. That's a 5-yard cushion for the RB. Sure it could only result in a 3-5 yard gain, but it could jsut as easily result in a big gainer or TD with a missed or broken tackle. Besides, Sam never even looked that way. The LB over there could have even fallen down and Sam would have never known. I don't want him locking onto receivers from the snap of the ball. That will result in interceptions.

As far as the TE/"dropped pass," how did you watch it in slow motion? At normal speed, it looked like it was off his finger tips and his arms were full extended, and the ball was traveling at a different angle/arc than he was running. I'll take your work for it, but it sure looked to me like that in order to have caught the ball, he would have had to jump or altered his route, and that could have easily prevented a TD.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yep, and yet he did mention at the beginning that he himself has made plenty of evaluation mistakes and so has every GM in the NFL. With Hack we were all hoping that the flashes in college would eventually come through in the NFL with time, and re-making mechanics. But it never clicked and he had every opportunity to get the job.

PabloJa likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Before the snap

[​IMG]

By the time Sam was about to throw. [You can clearly see Johnson about to break off, the MLB sitting in the middle uncomfortably, and RB still about good 4 yards behind the LoS, and finally, #42 already on the RB]

[​IMG]

And couldn't Sam throw to his flat earlier? No. Johnson on his drive route was fighting the jam off the DB and the MLB was shading in that direction as well. And this clusterfuck was happening right ahead of the RB. Now, in the picture above, the clusterfuck has been cleared. [Because Johnson dragged the DB AND the MLB with him]

If Sam threw at his flat at that instance, both would release Johnson and attack the RB. Could have been a tackle for a loss.

And the MLB [could] have jumped the route if he knew Johnson was running drive route behind him. Yes. BEHIND him. He couldn't have seen what was going on behind him. He never turned his head the entire play.

And this is how you watch the video in slow-mo.

[​IMG]

You will see that the TE was 1. watching the ball from even before the moment Sam threw it 2. The ball came a bit over his chest height. [About his head height or a little higher] and 3. he just dropped it.

#30 Zach, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Mogriffjr likes this.