When you know, you just know

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Sep 6, 2018.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Throughout the preseason, I as well as a bunch of jet fans have thought the same thing - Sam Darnold is going to be good.

You're not sure how or why, but when he takes the field and orchestrates the offense you get an aura of confidence, something we all know is incredibly foreign for the jets.

Here's a video breaking down Darnold's performance in the preseason and highlighting how he's already operating like a veteran

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This.....

Is freakin' impressive

grkmanga31 likes this.
  3. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

Thanks for sharing... that was enjoyable.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He wasn't my top QB prospect going into the draft, but it's getting harder and harder to not like the selection.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Problem is. What have QBs like Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers done?

It's not just about the QB, although having a consistent QB very much aids to achieving playoff births, you need a balanced team across all phases of the game to be a contender.

Brook! likes this.
  6. grkmanga31

Agreed and getting Darnold was one of, if not them most important pieces. Now it's time to build the team around him so he doesn't have a Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers like career.

7. grkmanga31

Agreed. His final college season was weird and filled with some concerning performances, but I think a lot of that had to do with feeling the pressure of having to carry an entire team. I don't think Darnold will necessarily carry the jets, and if he does then that falls squarely on the GM/HC.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First and foremost, I want to admit that I was flat out wrong about Darnold. I have been VERY impressed with his poise, how quickly he has fixed some of his technical flaws, how quickly he has learned the offense, how well he is already reading Ds, his quick decision making, and about everything else. At this point, I'm ecstatic that we wound up with Darnold and think that he probably is the best QB from this draft. I'm disappointed with Mayfield's showing so far, but that takes nothing away from Sam. Sam has earned my respect.

That said, I have a question for you offensive gurus. It's not about being nitpicky and criticizing Sam, but rather for me to learn more about the game and a QB's decision making process. In the video, on the first play the reviewer (Brett) focuses on, he points out that Darnold read that the Falcons were playing man vs zone, so he proceeded to the dry route (slant route) coming across the middle and says that it was a brilliant, albeit not flashy, decision and play. I am bothered a little because Darnold immediately locked onto that receiver and never even looked at the RB swinging wide to the left. In addition, a LB was dropping back in front of the dry route receiver and a DB was shadowing the receiver. It seems to me that there was potential for an interception there. If the LB had stayed with the route, it would have been a risky throw at best. Fortunately, the LB dropped straight back and kept his eyes on Darnold rather than the receiver. It seems to me that if he had at least looked in the RB's direction it could have cause that LB to swing towards the RB, thus insuring that the receiver would be open, and the RB may have even been the better option. With the exception of the LB (or DB) who was covering the RB, there was not another defender on that side of the field. If the RB causes the defender to miss or breaks the tackle, it could be a long gainer or even a TD, whereas with the other receiver it's definitely only going to be a short gainer as there are several DBs in that area. Does that bother anyone else? Again, my question is not a criticism of Sam, but rather Brett the reviewer.

The fact that at the conclusion of that drive that Sam threw 3 straight TD passes and didn't get flustered by the drop or penalty was very impressive, as was his ability to read the D, quick decision making, mobility and accuracy on the run. That said, imo the first throw to the TE was a catchable pass and perhaps should have been caught, but it was high and a little too outside, and not in the ideal position for the receiver. IMO the incompletion was as much on Sam as it was on the TE. Brett doesn't mention that. I'm not killing Sam for that throw, but in order to catch the ball, the TE may (probably?) would have had to angle more towards the sideline rather than the end zone, and the DB may have had the opportunity then to tackle him short of the goal line or the TE's momentum may have carried him out of bounds. The TE's arms were fully extended and the ball was off his fingertips. He didn't alligator arms the catch. IMO it was more a poor throw than a drop.

CotcheryFan and Brook! like this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Well I found what I’m watching on repeat until Monday

grkmanga31 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, here’s a quick memento moris. A Christian Hackenberg penn st breakdown from the same guy.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

1. I think Darnold saw the LB was dropping and not running with the WR, and that LB would have had to have great acceleration to catch up with a dead change in direction. If he takes his eyes off the play and looks to the swing RB, the play could change, take it when you have it. Yes, he could have maybe looked off the LB, but why fault a man when what he did worked--I don't think the coaches would recommend anything different either.

2. That ball to the TE(thought it was actuall WR Charles Johnson--forget though) was absolutely catchable, maybe it wasn't perfect but it's absolutely not on Sam. Now if that ball only hit one hand of the WR and was 10 ft high and out of reach, okay sure. But it looks like it hit both of his hands, you have to catch that ball or you're not gonna make the team.

12. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I don't really know if this is true... you don't necessarily need to be balanced if you truly excel at one facet of the game.

Every year I look at the Pats* roster and say WTF - who are these guys. Perhaps it's the cheating I don't know but they do so well offensively that sometimes little else matters.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I said, I wasn't faulting Darnold on #1, even though he did lock onto the receiver. Locking onto a receiver is generally considered a fault. QBs look off, make other reads, and then come back to receivers all the time, so I disagree with your assertion that "the play could change, take it when you have it." In addition, I'm not sure that Darnold ever saw that LB. He was locked in on the receiver. I was faulting Brett for not pointing it out.

I also disagree on #2. IMO it really wasn't that catchable. It wasn't thrown in the right spot for the TE. He was turning towards the end zone and the throw was leading him towards the sideline. To catch that ball, I think the TE would have had to alter his route and turn towards the sideline, and then it's debatable as to whether he makes it into the end zone or not.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Still a shame for me, he did look like he had something but it is now time for Sam.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's what I don't like about these film studies. You can cherry pick the plays you want to show and spin them to fit whatever narrative you want.

NCJetsfan and Big Cat like this.
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just to be clear, I am also factoring in special teams play. The Patriots, through their run, have had excellent special teams play in conjunction with superior offense (in most years) and capable defense (and in some years, superior defense).

I would then say, you need to excel at at least 2 of 3 facets of the game and be capable at the latter to be a contender.

HomeoftheJets and Axel574 like this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is this where we reiterate that it would have been good for Bowles and company to have sent a receiver long once or twice a game in the preseason for Darnold?

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I didn’t want him (UCLA bias) but I have seeeen the light! Hallelujah!

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  19. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

He's got this, he's the guy. Im drinking the koolaid, lets go!

MoWilkBeast and Jets_Grinch like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

IMHO he’s the best QB to enter the league since Luck and while none of us are experts, most of the college football I’ve watched over the past 5-6 years has been all about QBs and not teams.

Last year I watched live or DVRed every televised game by Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Falk, Rudolph, Lamar, Allen, and a bunch of Finley, Thorson, Stidham, Browning.

The year before most of Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and the guys who went Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kizer, Kaaya, Kelly.

Darnold is better than all of them. Pretty much every aspect of his game. Not as strong an arm as say Mahomes or Allen, not as good a runner as Watson or Lamar but when you look at the totality of the player, the QB, Sam’s as good as Luck and barring injury will have a superior career.

He’s the guy.

seanofthedead likes this.