When was the last time that we blocked a FG and returned it for a touchdown?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by slimjasi, Oct 23, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this yesterday as Miami lined up for the game-winning FG. I honestly can not remember the Jets ever having done this since I started watching them (1994). Can anyone remember the last time?

2. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

slimjasi likes this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Did we also do it against Seattle a few years earlier?

slimjasi likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Blocked FG, hmm, I'll have to ruminate. I'm sure it was running into the kicker, though. What else.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

slimjasi likes this.
  6. slimjasi

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

1997 vs the Raiders at home. The Jets trailed 22-16 - the Raiders lined up for a FG. It was blocked and I think it was Ray Mickens who scooped it up and returned for the TD. The Jets won 23-22 and it was their first home victory in almost 2 years.....

The Raiders kicker that day I think his name was Ford missed 4 FGs and an extra point....talk about a bad day.

slimjasi and RPOZ51 like this.
  8. mrjet80

9. mrjet80

I don't remember them doing it against Seattle but I do remember Seattle having a habit of blocking punts and returning them for TDs against us in the 1980s......we could never beat them back then.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

still can't

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Are any teams really good at this? I'm not being facetious, I'm wondering if there are teams out there that are good at it.

Special teams has been horrendous since Westhoff left. It's improved some this year but Stewart is a shitty kick returner. He has no vision and runs right into tacklers. I'd like to see us give someone else a shot back there.

We had one of the best return games in the league or near the top for a long while with Justin Miller, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, etc. Leon was actually an All-Pro in 08' for us as a returner.

Kerley's a decent punt returner. Never drops a kick *knock on wood* and always gets positive yardage. He averaged about 9 yards/return a couple years ago which was in the 7-10 range in the league. And people were calling him a shitty returner.

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Steve Tannen 1970

13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Times story makes reference to Boomer's TD pass late in the game being negated by an in-the grasp call.

NFL needs to get rid of this "possession" rule like it did with "in-the-grasp" and the "tuck-rule", for that matter.

14. mrjet80

The Jets always had one of the best special teams units from the 80s on up....from Bruce Harper, JoJo Townsell, Leon Johnson...to the guys you mentioned. Kerley will never be an all pro but I guess he qualifies as decent meaning he rarely muffs a catch if anything...Stewart is a not a return guy but I see him being a decent WR. This is an area that must be fixed this offseason....

15. mrjet80

Yeah but the difference is back then Seattle was usually a last place team and we never beat them. We went 0 for 7 against them from 1977-83. We haven't beaten them in our most recent three meetings but at least they're a decent team now......

16. slimjasi

Totally agree. He has a lot of potential as a WR (which, I would like to see more of), but he is not a good kick returner.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Westhoff was the last time our special teams was any good, ever since then we are mediocre at best

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right. That may be the last time I go with my memory instead of Googling it first! In the 1985 game, Seattle's Jacob Green returned a fumble 79 yards for a TD. I knew there was a return somewhere in the '80s, and my brain did the rest.

19. mrjet80

That is right! That was the first ever Jets win vs Seattle but it didn't start out very well. The Jets were behind 7-0 and driving for the tying score when Green returned the fumble for the TD. The Jets came back in the second half in fact I think Wesley Walker caught the winning TD midway through the fourth quarter....and Norm Johnson missed 3 FGs including the possible game tying one in the final minute. I was 14 years old and running all over the house excited they finally ended the Seattle hex......LOL