When the Passer is in a defenseless position . . .

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by jetophile, Aug 2, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

New rule, which Shady Brady will milk. It's now a penalty stemming from the Anthony Barr hit on Aaron Rodgers. Welcome to 2018. Looks like it will be called The Rodgers Rule. How the F are these idiot refs even going to officiate this? It will be seen as favoritism and it will be ten times more subjective than a defenseless receiver; which, don't hate on me, I do throw support behind when it's dirty and unwarranted.

Anyway, if a defensive player can't stop his momentum against the QB, c'mon now. Isn't getting to the QB and sacking him all about a passer being in a "defenseless" position? This is ridiculously stupid, and bank it that a lot of QBs are going to get the Academy Award for Best Actor. I can see about being a cheap shot artist and being unnecessarily ruthless (yecccch), but isn't it your freaking job to prevent the QB from doing HIS job? I'm all for trying to protect people from serious injury, but the NFL is all over the place and the only thing that is consistent about them is that they're liars and full of shit. They only care about the marquee names because moola. How isn't Roughing the Passer not enough? Thoughts.

P.S.: Will post link when I'm able.

2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hit the qb as hard as possible. If I'm getting a flag, I'll get one that's worthwhile.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Pretty soon it'll still be 11 on 11 tackle football, but with the QB's they'll wear red jerseys and can only pull their flag when going for a sack. This way, QB's like Brady can sit in the pocket protected throwing a football until their 45-50 years old.

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

EDIT:

Totally misunderstood the rule. I guess they are dubbing this the Rodgers rule.

#4 Sam Hammer, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I'll take it if Darnold never has a career ending injury

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. jetophile

Well, there ya go. Committee being drawn up to discuss absolutely ridiculous RTP calls over the last two weeks because no-one knows how to interpret the Rodgers Rule - which is beyond stupid in the first place.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I like that the rule has hurt the Packers the most. You all were crying last year about it.

9. jetophile

Hahaha.

EDIT & P.S.: I watched it again and noticed that the 'flag' was a banana peel. Holy Crap, HAH. This is just brilliant. Thanks for sharing it.

#9 jetophile, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  10. jetophile

Who is you? Archie Manning, stage father supreme, made it such that no-one could breathe on his son, which I'm sure everyone has short memories about. I'm kind of OK with that in a way, but not so much that Peyton Manning rubbed his balls all over a woman's face before he was drafted, signed a non-disclosure agreement, came to a settlement, and then decided to break the non-disclosure agreement in a book years later. Then Peyton and Archie Manning tried to destroy her. That's when she when she sued, because HE broke the agreement IN A BOOK AND NAMED HER and then he cried foul. Fukk off, Watermelon Head. Is it just me, or does Peyton Manning and Eli Manning look like inbred retards?

Peyton Manning only won a Super Bowl vs. Chicago because it was gifted to him. I was happy for Dungy, but that's about it (minus his Christian spouting nonsense). Irsay made a drunk/high incoherent semblance of a speech holding up the Lombardi, so that was relatively enjoyable. Rex Grossman was awful and the Bears sucked. What a shit game after Devin Hester. Anyway, Peyton, I hope you send the Bears a thank you card every year. The only SB worse than than that was Spittsburgh vs. Seattle.

11. jetophile

@phubbadaman, I misinterpreted your post. I also didn't mean to come across nasty, sorry about that. But since I brought it up, Archie Manning single-handedly made the NFL change the rules strictly for Peyton. I'm sure it has prevented some injuries over the years, but what was really behind it was self-entitlement.

As far as you saying that it has been hurting the Packers the most is a grand stroke of irony. It's also hurting the game when RTP calls were very often questionable in the first place. Completely demolish a QB on purpose when it's not necessary at all, no flag. Poke Tom Brady in the shoulder with your index finger, the flag is coming out. I fully expect the reffing for the rest of the year league-wide to be a complete pile of shit.

alleycat9 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  12. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It's all good. Hopefully they get it fixed and luckily it hasn't happened in a Jets game yet.

13. jetophile

OK, cool. I was tired. It's not even like I thought "you" meant "me", lol. F my brain.

The Rodgers rule is gonna be a constant headache.

14. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

if a huge hit ever does knock him out it will be missed by the refs as usual :)

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Nfl tweeted out this instructional video to help clarify the issue

16. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

They had better add Arden Key's hit to the video.

jetophile likes this.
  17. jetophile

I think that may have already been mentioned in another thread (?), but that was an absolutely pathetic call. Replacement refs, please. I can't say it enough. They did a better than equal job, and I'm not even kidding around. Full time refs! We need full time refs! OK. Well, guess what? The officiating still sucks and keeps getting worse.

Cidusii likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Officiating hasn't gotten worse, replay has gotten better and the Internet has given fans a bigger platform to complain.

nycarl likes this.