When is the last time an upcoming season had such little excitement/expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Jun 28, 2017.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Even the lousy owner bailed out on this team and went to England.

Jets69 likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

At least a balloon could get off the ground. This is how I feel about the Jets coming season:

3. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

haha. lots of truth there. I'm excited to see some of the young players but we win 3 games maybe.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Every single one of those idiots better thank their lucky stars that they didn't get off the ground. The designs and construction were so awful, that even if they had gotten into the air, they would have come immediately come crashing back down and most or all of them would have been killed.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Some probably did die trying to fly. No one ever said discovery was without peril.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Although they may not make the playoffs, I see a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future of this team. I think the defense could be very good. There are a lot of players that I want to see make a jump this year including D. Lee, Mauldin, Jenkins, Burris on D. On offense I am excited about Anderson, the two rookie receivers, and I think the O line will be better than most are stating. Throw in what I think will be significant improvement at TE and the other draft choices adding some good depth, I am excited about this team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm more excited about this season than any season in a long time. Not because I think they'll be good, but for the first time in ages, they are properly rebuilding, rather than quick fixing and we shouldn't see young guys held out because of "best chance to win". I love seeing what young hungry teams can do, it is often surprising. I'm excited to see how Todd Bowles improves in year 3 and brings up the young talent.

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm not excited in the sense that I expect the team to compete. But to be honest, I am excited that we are finally rebuilding the right way, and I think we as fans have a lot to watch this season to see who emerges. This is a foundation building year. So yeah I mean I'm not excited from a make the playoffs perspective, but I am excited from a watch the talent perspective, and also I'm a bit relieved the team put a stop to chasing it's tail.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's going to be fun to see the Jamal Adams era begin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Although we might not make the playoffs? I am guessing u folks excited about watching a young team with a few possibly good young players with tons of holes a lousy coach and questionable qb play are the younger fans on this site. Nothing wrong with that just an observation. Ithis is not the first time we have tried this and trying to rebuild and being succcessful at it are two different things. The second and third year players are the key to us moving forward not the rookies in my humble opinion.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams, Darron Lee, and Justin Burris on defense. Of course my favorite player Mo, hoping he bounces back. I want to see Leonard Williams take that next step as a pass-rusher. I think already one of the best run stopping lineman in the league today. I would say in the top 10. He himself has made up for the lost of Snacks.

At first, I was thinking man this season will suck and while we may not win a lot of games, watching this young talent grow will be entertaining.

MurrellMartin likes this.
  12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

We are in for one long season.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Your guess is wrong. I am one of the older posters (63) on this site, and I am very excited to see the team play this year for all the reasons I enumerated earlier in the thread.

When have we tried a rebuild? Not any time recently, but even so, just because the last one may have failed doesn't mean this one will. You don't avoid doing the right thing because you fear it might fail, and you certainly don't keep doing the same thing you've been doing for the last 10-15 years which has failed most years. If we don't undergo a rebuild, the team will certainly fail. That's guaranteed. You don't win in today's NFL or create any stability or consistency by trying to build your roster in FA with older FAs.

Guy, for someone who has watched football as long as you, you really have things backwards. How could you be happy or excited with the Jets maintaining the status quo of signing a bunch of older, over-the-hill FAs and trying to make the playoffs when they have no realistic chance at doing so, or even if they do luck into the playoffs they're one and done? You should be excited that Woody and the Jets have finally showed some semblance of intelligence and of doing the right thing. This, at least, will give us some sort of realistic chance of building a consistent winner, getting to, and winning, a SB.

I think you are also wrong about the 2nd and 3rd year players being more important than the rookies. While they are important, they were picked with a different mindset. They were picked while the team was trying to retool on the fly or do a "competitive rebuild." That could have definitely influenced Mac's decision making in whom he picked and why. He also was learning on the job those first two years, and the first year he was having to use the old scouting and personnel Depts. Hopefully, now that he has some experience, has his own personnel and scouting people on board, and the team is attempting to do things the right way, his drafts will prove to be better, more productive.

In terms of those 2nd & 3rd year guys, we already know that from the 2015 draft that Williams is a stud. We know that Simon is a pretty good player, has improved and is pushing McLendon for playing time. We know that Devin Smith and Jarvis Harrison didn't work out and are gone. We know that Petty showed some flashes, as has Mauldin, but that this will be a crucial year for both of them if they hope to stay on the team.

From the 2016 draft, we know that Burris and Jordan Jenkins are already pretty good players and will help the team. We know that Lee is fast, talented and that he showed flashes last season. We know that Shell probably will start at RT this season. We know that Peake showed some potential last season and will probably make the team and contribute this season. We know that Lac Edwards has a strong leg even if he didn't show it last year and that he will be our punter again this season.

Of course their development and growth as players is important, especially the big question mark from those drafts, Hack, but I think the players taken in this year's draft are the most important. For one thing, Adams has perennial All Pro, if not HOF potential. Paired with Maye, they have the potential to totally change our pass D. Even though he was only a 5th round pick, Donohue could turn out to be the most important pick in changing our fortunes if he develops into a quality edge rusher. Along with Leggett, Stewart and Hansen could solidify the Jets receiving corps, helping whomever the QB is, and give the offense something to build around. McGuire gives the Jets some more speed and shiftiness at RB and could help as a returner. The only two picks I don't hold out a lot of hope for are the two 6th-round CBs, but even they could develop into good role players/depth.

boozer32 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

U just love turning things around. Where did I say I want to sign older players. U just presume because we r rebuilding we will be successful. I say let's see. That's our big difference. I have zero faith in owner gm and coach. U have your jet blinders on. And yes maudlin and lee and shell are the biggest question marks not the rookies. Again glad they r rebuilding but what ever they do is never done right so let's see before we get all excited about winning 3 or 4 games

15. NCJetsfan

You didn't say "sign older players," but that's what the Jets have been doing. You don't like the rebuild, so the only other option is for them to continue the status quo of signing older FAs to try to be as competitive and win as many games as they can.

I'm not presuming anything. I realize there's a chance the rebuild can fail, especially since Woody still owns the team, but the alternative will surely fail. At least with the rebuild, we're going about things in the proper way, and it will give us a chance to succeed. I'm still a bit in shock that they're even doing a rebuild and going about things in the right way. Either Mac was able to convince Woody or Ron Wolff and Charlie Casserly (who advised him on the hirings of Bowles and Mac) convinced him. Continuing to do things the other way gives us zero chance of succeeding (with success being defined as building a consistent winner or playoff team that will give the team a realistic chance of getting to and winning a Lombardi Trophy).

I don't have any blinders on. I don't like Bowles and don't trust him at all. I still like Mac as he has done a lot of good things, but he has also done some things I don't like. The thing is, that's standard. No GM is perfect. Unless one can somehow hire a proven, successful GM, one's GM will always have to learn on the job and will make some mistakes in the process. Even the most successful GMs continue to make mistakes. This is because they suffer from a terminal condition...they're human.

Yes, they've screwed up more in the past than they've gotten right, but there's always hope. If one gives up hope, one might as well quit rooting for the Jets and find something else to do with one's time. Again, at least they're doing the right thing in finally doing the rebuild. Even if they screw it up things can't get much worse. They'll just have to fire the GM and HC and start over, but at least there'll be some good young talent on the team to build around.

#75 NCJetsfan, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    K'OB likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry to say but for the long term it just makes no sense to win

Suck for Sam ....Suck for Josh Rosen....Go ahead and suck next season!!!!! Who cares..

No playoffs ...no return to SB without a FQB

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Last time. I never said I don't like to rebuild. I don't trust the ones doing it. It's not ok if we just fire the coach and start over a year after tearing it down. We should fired Bowles and started the rebuild with a new coach. The gm is tbd. Let's see what Lorenzo and lee do this year. That's my barometer. Btw your posts are way to long. I don't have as much time on my hands as u. Short n sweet please

18. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

19. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously, based on what you were saying, I thought you were against the rebuild. This is the first time that you said that you weren't.

I agree that we should have fired Bowles after last season.

If my posts are too long, don't read them. I'm not going to curtail my opinion because someone doesn't have the time or attention span to read them.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Both time and attention span